Notices

Weight Loss and Sobriety

Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Last year I stopped drinking for about a month, and lost 10-12 lbs., wasn't exercising or even watching what I ate.
This time, been sober for 2 weeks, I'm exercising and eating healthy, and I think I've Gained, all my jeans are tight!

I try not to think about that right now though, there are so many other positives to being sober.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went down in weight at first, especially because I started an exercise program after 30 days sober. Unfortunately my weight loss wasn't significant because I also started loading up on food more (and sugary things too) as my body adjusted to no longer drinking. I still fit into my jeans and that's a big deal because I didn't fit into them this time last year. I have to lose 50 pounds now -- same 50 pounds I've been carrying around for years. I figured I better work on getting sober before tackling the weight. One thing at a time.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Miyako, I am with you. Exercising helps keep me sober for some reason, so i started immediately. But pretty much from what I've read, sober is number 1.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am back to my ideal weight (5'7" size 6) which has made sobriety even more of a priority. All of the empty pointless calories of alcohol are so hard to justify when you are taking care of your body. I do watch what I eat, but not harshly like I used to do, to try to keep my weight down while keeping my wine consumption up. Pathetically, on diets (when I was drinking), I never dreamed to get rid of the alcohol. Food was the first thing to go... ewwww.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miyako View Post
I went down in weight at first, especially because I started an exercise program after 30 days sober. Unfortunately my weight loss wasn't significant because I also started loading up on food more (and sugary things too) as my body adjusted to no longer drinking. I still fit into my jeans and that's a big deal because I didn't fit into them this time last year. I have to lose 50 pounds now -- same 50 pounds I've been carrying around for years. I figured I better work on getting sober before tackling the weight. One thing at a time.
Yes--sobriety should be number one until stable.

My solution for the sugar cravings that most of us have since we aren't metabolizing alcohol into sugar anymore was to buy a five pound bag of organic figs off amazon. When a craving hit, I ate one or part of one. Figs are full of fiber and many trace minerals drinkers may be missing.

I tapered down as I went through the bag and by the time I had finished it, I was pretty stable and able to go Paleo fairly easily without sugar cravings. Honestly, I've been eating a lot chocolate since my relapse in September but I am switching to high protein / fat breakfasts and low carb and will pretty soon be replacing all meals with this. Don't knock the fat part until you try it, by the way. My husband literally melts like the wicked witch of the west when he does a paleo diet and his bloodwork gets better than perfect.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I got fat when I quit drinking. I sacrificed my weight pretty much or being sober. It can be tough sometimes looking at the scale and feeling guilty about the weight and having people pat me on the belly, but I willing to sacrifice the shallow petty want of being skinny for sobriety.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have gained weight which really surprised me as I was overweight to begin with. Like others I thought the weight would drop off. However, I look much better. The puffiness and redness in my face has disappeared and I no longer have swollen, puffy fingers and ankles. People comment all the time on how nice my skin looks which feels pretty good. Happy new year everyone. Wishing you all sobriety and happiness for 2014!