Notices

Grateful and Optimistic for the New Year

Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful and Optimistic for the New Year

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you here on SR for sharing, supporting, and reminding us that we are not alone in our struggles or our triumphs. As I reflect on my own experiences in 2013, it has not been a perfectly sober year for me, but I have come a long, long way, from years of practically daily drinking. I have learned so much about myself, about alcoholism, and about sobriety..through my own experiences and from all of you.

I have joined probably more monthly classes than I remember, with some still being near and dear to my heart despite feeling like I "failed" out of the class (July) But through it all, I always feel unwavering support, compassion and understanding, rather than judgement. I haven't posted much lately, but I do read here every day and for many, many days it has been what has kept me sober.

Through my ups and downs and ins and outs with drinking, I finally feel I have come to point where sobriety is my 'normal', and it's when I drink that things don't feel right. That, for me, is a huge turning point. Day ones are always the hardest and then I start to feel my groove again and wonder why I ever chose to take that first drink.

Tonight I will spend New Year's Eve with my children and family, feeling sober and peaceful. To say I will not drink forever is still tough for me, so I am going to take it one month at a time for now. I would like to contribute more to the SR community, not only for my own support, but to help others. I am far from having this under control, but I do feel the need to share what I have learned so far in my own personal journey to free myself from the chains of alcohol.

Again, thank you all for being here, we truly need each other and let's do this for another year..it can only get better!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Great to have you alongside on the sober journey forabetterlife .

Happy new year , m
Old 12-31-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are finding yourself in your sobriety!