SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Blew it again - proof that I cannot moderate (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/317994-blew-again-proof-i-cannot-moderate.html)

TrickyDave 12-31-2013 11:02 AM

Blew it again - proof that I cannot moderate

After a few sober days, and feeling great by the way, I thought that picking up a pint of vodka would be just the thing, and of course last me a few days.

A few hours was more like it, and today I feel remorseful, depressed, and crappy.

New Year's eve will be tough, but if I abstain, then I can stay with the class of December, and then have a fresh start to 2014.

What can I do to stay away from the booze tonight? Going to my sister-in-laws New Year's party. Hang out with the kids and play board games?

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sazzle 12-31-2013 11:10 AM

I'm staying in watching films and hanging about on here. I'm feel very peaceful, now I've made that decision.

Keep looking forwards.

S x

SeaScape 12-31-2013 11:14 AM

Staying in also with movie rentals, snacks, and a fridge full of NA beverages. I need to have lots of alternative drinks around I have learned. Don't go to the party if you are too tempted? I also feel peaceful in my decision to stay home. I know what I am going to do and not going to do tonight :)

Shooting4sober 12-31-2013 11:24 AM

TrickyDave, that was yesterday and now it's today. Concentrate on today.
I'm also attending a New Year's Eve party this evening that I wasn't looking very forward to attending because of temptations. My plan is to show up with a "Box o' Joe" from dunkin donuts to share with others that don't drink and to show the ones that are drinking that I am NOT drinking alcohol. If offered I will gracefully decline and if temptation gets to be too much, I will leave the event.

Whatever your plan turns out to be, You can do it!

1stthingsfirst 12-31-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by TrickyDave (Post 4378893)
Hang out with the kids and play board games?

Well, that's what I am doing :)

I have tried and failed at "moderating" so many times. Each time I succumbed and decided to "moderate" it only got worse. Plus, the guilt was awful. The last time I tried to moderate, I got arrested. Pretty sad, but I am glad for second, third, fourth...chances.

I know you are feeling pretty rotten right now, but go easy on yourself. At least for me, the guilt kept bringing me back to drinking. We have all been there many times, as for myself, I may someday decide to try to "moderate" again. The consequences, guilt and hangovers have been so severe and unpleasant, at least for now, I cannot see myself picking up a drink for the rest of my life. Kind of like an alcohol allergy.

There are many things you can do sober. In fact, I have found that it is a lot of fun to be around "normie" drinkers when they are drinking when you are sober. Try not to think that you are missing out on something, but that you are gaining a hangover-free day.

ZeldaFan 12-31-2013 11:27 AM

I will be staying in with Netflix and video games. I got invited to a few parties but there is going to be lots of drinking so I decided to avoid the situation.

1stthingsfirst 12-31-2013 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan (Post 4378952)
I will be staying in with Netflix and video games. I got invited to a few parties but there is going to be lots of drinking so I decided to avoid the situation.

If you are an XBox-er, there are a lot of discounted games on New Year's Eve. I might just pick up a few myself. :)

Avra 12-31-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by TrickyDave (Post 4378893)
After a few sober days, and feeling great by the way, I thought that picking up a pint of vodka would be just the thing, and of course last me a few days.

A few hours was more like it, and today I feel remorseful, depressed, and crappy.

New Year's eve will be tough, but if I abstain, then I can stay with the class of December, and then have a fresh start to 2014.

What can I do to stay away from the booze tonight? Going to my sister-in-laws New Year's party. Hang out with the kids and play board games?

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

I blew it yesterday too. I am quitting today. I want 2014 to hold no regrets, so I dont want a hang over fir the first day if it. Just take it for what it is - just another night.

Thepatman 12-31-2013 11:44 AM

If you know it might put your early sobriety in jeopardy why go?

It's been said again and again, number one priority should be sobriety.

My 20 cents, hi I'm staying home and stuffing my face and watching movies.

TrickyDave 12-31-2013 11:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Not going isn't an option - have to travel 100+ miles, and then attend the Rose Parade on the 1st.

So I need a plan that will work that involves attending.

Thepatman 12-31-2013 12:13 PM

One thing that helps me is to always have something to drink, not just plane water, nice drinks. Virgin Caesar, fruit juices, etc.

Make sure you always have one

feeling-good 12-31-2013 12:32 PM

Hey - the kids will love that you play board games with them all night!! Grab soda and good snacks and have a laugh with them - they will remember it for years and years :)

Mcribb 12-31-2013 01:02 PM

Focus on other people. Interaction with people. Be of service.

Squizz 12-31-2013 01:15 PM

People always ask what to do on New Year's Eve, and I always ask: "Isn't there any meetings going on around?"

I'm going to a meeting tonight, and there's also a dance I attend if I wanted to. I just don't want to pay $15 to attend a glorified AA meeting, so I'm just going to go to a regular meeting.

And guess what? I'm going to stay sober. And New Year's Eve 2013-2014 will be day #402 in the books.

It really is just one day at a time. New Year's, Christmas, Halloween, Easter...........are all just another 24 hours I have to get through sober.

As long as I keep that on the front of my thought prcocess, things usually go pretty well.

Recovering2 12-31-2013 01:15 PM

Why do you HAVE to go? If you're struggling, then do what is best for you...not what others think you should do. There is a Rose parade every year, you can go next year. I think when we think we HAVE to do anything to meet the expectations of others, instead of doing what is best for us, we compromise our #1 goal.

Vet69 12-31-2013 01:56 PM

New Years Eve Can be Tough

Many places we go have people doing a lot of drinking. I am with all of those who are staying in. I am staying with my family and eating a big meal. Read and go to bed early.

jdooner 12-31-2013 02:28 PM

Ignorance is bliss and awareness is kryptonite to addiction. Once you have to control something that was fun it is no longer fun it becomes work, IMO.