Notices

My Hardest Challenge

Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Hardest Challenge

This year overall has been a good year for me. I have really improved the quality of my relationship with my family. My faith has been stronger than ever. I have done a lot of personal development that I am proud of. My attitude is good in the morning when I get out of bed.

My hardest challenge still alludes me, stopping drinking for good. Just when I get some traction, I find myself in a situation that jeopardizes it and it doesn't last. My social network has a common theme of hanging out drinking. My life needs an overhaul in this area. As long as I still have an occasional hangover, I don't feel like I am living up to the values I would like to have for myself. This is not the person I want to continue to be.

Any recommendations and encouragement would be appreciated.

And Happy New Years to All!!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. My advice is to just think about today only. Just don't drink today. Worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

And come here often for support. Post before you drink, we'll help you get thru the craving and come out sober.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Least!!

It is nice to have and be able to support people that are in or have gone through these similar places in life. I haven't really ever participated in these types of forums, but so far just reading several of the other posts have been helpful.

I realize that most of the lowest times in my life have been as a result of my use of alcohol in some way. When it goes to extremes, other things tend to spiral down with it.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to let go of many of my party friends. Even the ones that are not Alcoholic (and so they think) yet they drink wine everyday.

Now I want to make friends that will do sober things.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am coming to the same conclusion, but it has taken me a lot of years to figure that out. I think the sense of loyalty and friendship prevents people from making the necessary changes in there lives. I will be honest, I really struggle with cutting people out of my life. I know you can't have your cake and eat it too though.

Thanks for the support.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think many/most of us have had to cut people out of our lives. I had to remove some friends and a couple of family members out of my life because they were toxic to me. I couldn't be where I am today if I had hung out with people who were drinking and if my social life involved drinking.

It sounds like you have done well in improving your life. I think you will find so many benefits if you stop drinking.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yip, everything that you said is correct. I know that most of those relationships are for convenience to accommodate the same struggle. I have never been able to be open about it to others. It is great to hear that those changes have been very positive in your life, it reinforces why I am here seeking your input.

Thanks again!!