Notices

Binge drinking alcoholic

Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking alcoholic

I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way about there own problem? I have been struggling for years in a cycle of good one week wasted the next. I have been sober for 35 days now and don't plan on being that person again.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Rejuvenating!

I never managed a week sober before I quit but there were times when I wasn't as bad as others and they kinda kept me in the cycle thinking I had it under control. Taking the option off the table completely was the best thing I ever did. Well done on 35 days! Glad you're here x
Old 12-28-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 35 days. That is wonderful.

I never want to go back either but I need help. What sort of recovery plan do you have in place? I know I could not do it alone.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on 35 Days!!

Yeah I tended to swing between alternate "heavier" weeks and "lighter" weaks. . . though despite this I was still drinking every day/week, in my mind I became obbsessed with counting "units" (It's a UK thing), so if I reduced my intake the following week, I'd convince myself that things were improving, the pat on the back though came in a binge the next week, and the cycle would repeat itself.

But eventually I realised this myth of moderation wasn't going to work, it was all or nothing, totally Sober was the only way forward!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR rejuvenating

D
Old 12-28-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on 35 days! yes can totally relate, near the end my binges far outweighted my good days. I would basically binge with a few days off here and there.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi. I was stuck in that cycle for a long time, but you are doing really well x
Old 12-28-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Rejuvenating View Post
I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way about there own problem? I have been struggling for years in a cycle of good one week wasted the next. I have been sober for 35 days now and don't plan on being that person again.
The only way for me to get out of that cycle was to stop completely. I went from: I cannot possibly enjoy a social occasion, party, pub, bars ever again if I don't drink! This mentality kept me boozing and sick for years. It took me time and lots & lots of suffering to get to the place I'm at today. (not everyone is as belligerent as me though and they get the message a lot quicker). I socialize everywhere and don't drink. I don't do certain places where it's just about booze. I love my new life. Am never ever going back. To wake up without a hangover is paradise for me. Good luck to you.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

14 days for a major bringer here. This thread should be a sticky! Binge drinking where I come from is endemic and it's quite 'normal' to drink a lot Friday Saturday night.

Even with that I took my binges to another level altogether. My normality was dangerous and potentially life threatening.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 35 days ! Can't wait to be there...on day 9 today and already feel mostly normal, whatever that is lol. I was an everyday drinker with binges stuffed in between. These past 6 months were by far the worst, with the last one resulting in a 3 day blackout with my kids home to fend for themselves. Best thing is to stay sober and accept that drinking is no longer an option.
Glad you're doing so good! Have a great weekend!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Binges

I was just like that Rejuvenating. I would be really good for a couple of weeks (although I still drank some everyday) and then about once a month I would binge and then it was downhill from there. I am at 32 days and don't want to ever go through that again!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the positive response. I wasn't really sure about being here at first, but this is very welcoming. I would go in cycles of only a couple drinks one week, maybe none the next but then bam I would be drunk all weekend and wake up not remembering because I passed out. It has basically ruined my family now. My years of choosing alcohol over spending time with my wife and kids. For that I will be a different person for ever.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Me too - I was a binge drinker. I could not drink for days or even weeks at a time. But when I did.... I really went for broke and drank a lot, and anything could happen, including fights, black outs, you name it. I am convinced that it isn't so much how often you drink, although that is certainly a factor for many alcoholics, but how much you drink at a sitting and how it affects your life.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Because I only drank on weekends is what kept me thinking I was ok. Wrong. It sneaks up on you. Fri and say turned into thurs-Sunday with only one day a week I was feeling clear headed. The week i quit I drank every day that week, and not because I wanted to.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was drunk pretty much every night... and worse on weekends. I am sober 11 days now and don't want to go back to that hellhole. Hang in there
Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rejuvenating View Post
Thanks for all the positive response. I wasn't really sure about being here at first, but this is very welcoming. I would go in cycles of only a couple drinks one week, maybe none the next but then bam I would be drunk all weekend and wake up not remembering because I passed out. It has basically ruined my family now. My years of choosing alcohol over spending time with my wife and kids. For that I will be a different person for ever.
That's the key right there, it doesn't matter if we can usually control it, or go decent periods without it. When it started threatening my career and costing me valuable relationships, it became evident I had to eliminate alcohol entirely.
Yes, I was typically only drinking 1-2 days a week. I typically didn't drink during the week because I knew I couldn't be reliable for work.
Dealing with damaged relationships is really tough, but the best road to fix that is to fix yourself. For me that means engaging a program, and I spending time sharing here.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just realized that literally nothing good comes from excessive alcohol consumption. Even worse, the damage can be terrible.

I've quit before and am on day 2 again. Looking back, there hasn't been a single instance where even a hint of something good came from it.

So I'm determined to stay sober as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been dealing with your same problem for roughly 7 years. The renewed strength and confidence that sobriety brings has ironically been my downfall as I repeatedly have tried to achieve the impossible goal (for me) of moderation. Friday night was my latest attempt and 15-20 drinks later I'm back at Day 1. Wish you the best of luck of ending the cycle. I'll be trying to do the same with you.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was also a binge drinker, I could go for days with nothing and then to downing bottles of red wine in minutes. My capacity was ever increasing and as alcoholism is progressive, that bit of control that us bingers think we have is ever decreasing.

Well done so far
Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I became a binge drinker the last several years of my addiction. It's when my grip really started to slip and misery increased. I do suggest a program of some sort as our minds can blind us some to where we won't always see how close the first drink of the next binge is.