Notices

Stay sober here this year! Holiday thread! 2013 - 2014

Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I've got a resolution: I'd like to be fit again by the end of 2014, and I'd like to drop 35 pounds by May.

I've got to lose the 35 pounds by May so that my son and I can fly to London for the New Years Day 2015 parade. He'll be marching with his school's band in the parade. The only way my overprotective husband will let him go is if I go along as a chaperone--and the only way he'll cough up the $$ is if I lose 35 pounds!

So the pressure's on! If I don't want to deprive my son of the opportunity of a lifetime, I've got to bite the bullet and drop the weight!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am a bit nervous about tonight. I didn't want to spend my NYE alone so I offered to host a small gathering in my apartment. Those who drink are bringing their own booze and I went a little crazy yesterday and picked up about nine different flavours of non-alcoholic, fizzy beverages, plus snacks. We will be visiting, playing retro video games, and maybe watching a movie. I sooo want to get thru tonight sober and to enjoy and look forward to the upcoming year. I need support and I need to stay strong. These cold winter holidays are the hardest for me.

So glad to have you all around me SR friends!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

(I just noticed that the SR logo has fireworks today!
Cool!)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Was out and about this morning and did not stop at the liquor store, yay! Still have some time to go, but so far, so good on this NYE. Stocked up on Pelligrino sparking water and other non-alcoholic drinks. Now I am making a cheesecake
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
I think the alcohol industry has done wrong to New Year's Eve. I bought in to the messages that the industry, media, and the drinking establishments told me....that "everyone" was drinking on NYE......it was "the way" to celebrate....and that I "should" be drinking too. Now that I've been sober through a NYE already, I realize that NYE is really about celebrating and reflecting on the past year and crafting our hopes and dreams for the new year. Let's do this NYE as it was meant to be......sober!
I really like this, thanks! So tired of everyone glamorizing alcohol and talking about ringing in the new year drunk. Wish the alcohol industry would realize how many ppl out there are alcoholics and tone it down a bit, grrr.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

They're crying all the way to the bank!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi everyone ,
went and bought my new telly , can now see the type from across my bedroom , a 32" in my bedroom who'd have thought it ,,, lawks ! good for games as well …

This evening i think mex-m8 has long standing plans .. so i'm at home , which is kinda cool really .. i like time in bed and can quite easily spend all day reading , watching the telly , posting online ..

When i lived in France my Australian friends had a day bed in their living room which was wonderful to all laze about on talking about nothing and everything ..

The way i looked at it was if i could be sober when doing nothing i should be happy to be sober when i'm doing something ..

bestwishes, m
Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I've got a resolution: I'd like to be fit again by the end of 2014, and I'd like to drop 35 pounds by May.

I've got to lose the 35 pounds by May so that my son and I can fly to London for the New Years Day 2015 parade. He'll be marching with his school's band in the parade. The only way my overprotective husband will let him go is if I go along as a chaperone--and the only way he'll cough up the $$ is if I lose 35 pounds!

So the pressure's on! If I don't want to deprive my son of the opportunity of a lifetime, I've got to bite the bullet and drop the weight!
Oh, what an exciting endeavor/goal!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flying4Life View Post
I am a bit nervous about tonight. I didn't want to spend my NYE alone so I offered to host a small gathering in my apartment. Those who drink are bringing their own booze and I went a little crazy yesterday and picked up about nine different flavours of non-alcoholic, fizzy beverages, plus snacks. We will be visiting, playing retro video games, and maybe watching a movie. I sooo want to get thru tonight sober and to enjoy and look forward to the upcoming year. I need support and I need to stay strong. These cold winter holidays are the hardest for me.

So glad to have you all around me SR friends!
You're going to do a fantastic job! Good for you stocking up on fun fizzy beverages and snacks--have a fabulous time!

P.S. Which retro video games?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everyone!

Tonight's plan--

My sons (ages 10 and 12) are having friends over for their traditional sleepover celebration. We're having tacos for dinner and a "popcorn" buffet as a snack (toppings include choices of: nacho cheese seasoning, buffalo wing seasoning, M&Ms, peanut butter chips, teddy grahams, mini marshmallows, butter). At midnight, we have cups (rims decorated with melted chocolate, then, dipped in colorful sprinkles) filled with milk and topped with a chocolate chip cookie. There will be loads of video game playing, yelling, wrestling, and laughter. Everyone is sooooo excited!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Sounds like a blast!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I m check-in in from work. My guys are spending the day in and I hope it goes smoothly. They acted like dingbats on Christmas eve. The holiday season is rough on many especially homeless people with no family so I understand their acting out even if I don't condone it. A suggestion to everyone: do a positive closing inventory for 2013 and write down what went right and what good things happened.
Great idea, Carlotta! I'm definitely going to do this!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sign me up for a sober New Year's Eve. I am the sober driver for everyone tonight , which I think will be kind of an honor-or at least it should be entertaining

I have been away from the site for a week and a half, trying to get caught up. I hope you all have a great holiday.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Weasel? How's it going?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

You betcha, I'm in.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Already the reminiscing has begun, not just for this past year but the last 7 years really. I guess I am just doing some healing emotionally and catching up for all those years I spent drinking and drugging. It is a bit sad to review those times that are over now. But I am really hoping for a happy and bright 2014 that is 100% sober!

Cathryn2001 - we will be playing Mario games on the Super Nintendo
Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Happy New Year, SR mates!

It's my second sober New Year and I just love it.

I spend two hours in the gym today, going to have a glass of pomegranate juice to celebrate New Year, and planning to have and absolutely lazy tomorrow. With quiet early morning, cup of coffee, warm bread with cheese...

Sober holidays rock!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Glimer... Going ok. Last day of binge eating so I have a supreme loaded pizza waiting to be made. Lol

Tucked in here and not leaving the house until tomorrow to go get some sale items.

I will be here for the play by play on the east coast.

Happy new year to all those in time zones earlier than I!

Thank you so much for asking!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Magsie

Onwards and upwards to a happy new year for us all x
Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I am sitting at work fighting an urge to take a nap. Get to leave early today but cant go home yet. Have a non work, non AA related meeting at 4:30 which I am swearing about having to attend.
two more hours until midnight in U.K., right? happy new year if I am not online then.