Notices

Benefits from staying sober

Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benefits from staying sober

Like many people, I've tried to quit countless times in the past only to relapse and pick up where I left off with the booze.

One thing that has helped me was that I focused on the benefits I get from getting to be sober. I think human nature has us shedding a negative light if it comes to "giving up" something. For example, I always found it difficult to say to myself "I can't drink". Now, though, I tell myself "I can drink if I want to, but why would I want to? It's so much more enjoyable now, because I get to remain sober". This may seem trivial, but it has meant all the difference to me.

The last few times I drank I really focused on the positives I got from being buzzed and drunk. There really weren't many. If any of you are like me, then you'll notice that drinking really isn't fun anymore. It used to be fun, sure, but these days it's not enjoyable. I don't laugh or joke around anymore when I'm drunk.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that there are more benefits to staying sober than we, as addicts, like to admit to. I've gone to a few concerts and pubs the past few weeks while sober, and I honestly have had great times. Nobody really even noticed that I wasn't drinking, and I was fully aware, I wasn't slurring my speech or acting like a moron or spending half of the concert waiting in the beer lineup. I wasn't tired (had a 5 hour energy drink), I was able to enjoy the music more and I was able to drive home afterwards. It was really an enjoyable evening. It causes you to put it into perspective. Forget the negative consequences of drinking for a minute - and we all know there are many. What are the positive benefits? We should focus more on what we feel we're "getting" from drinking.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to think that alcohol made things better or easier to deal with. The fact is that alcohol made me not deal with things. It was a place to hide. Facing issues sober has many rewards, for myself and the people I love around me. As a father and husband being sober has been my greatest gift this year.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's how it is with me too FM. There's no greater gift I can give to my family than staying sober.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

They will appreciate it too
Old 12-30-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree, going to events, concerts, sports etc . . . I can now remember the whole evening the following morning, feeling fresh without a hangover!!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Other than the health benefits, at almost a month Sober, I can't help but think I saved around 700$ from not buying booze. It's going towards all the debts I created, the ones I imagined would disappear if I got hammered. LOL! I have to laugh at how stupid I was thinking in the end of my brilliant self destruction career.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One motivator for me is that I value my brain and mind far too much to allow them to be repressed or even damaged by alcohol.

My creativity, intellect, mental abilities, they were all suppressed by the alcohol. Gradually they're restoring and I look forward to be able to run at full capacity again, so to speak.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Other than the health benefits, at almost a month Sober, I can't help but think I saved around 700$ from not buying booze. It's going towards all the debts I created, the ones I imagined would disappear if I got hammered. LOL! I have to laugh at how stupid I was thinking in the end of my brilliant self destruction career.
Yeah, in the past few days I would have been building up a depth more and spending far too much on alcohol. And the alcohol took away the anxiety about my finances. Until the next morning.

Now I'm also climbing out of depth and in a few months I should be fine regarding that. I just realized I spent $10 - $15 a day on booze. That adds up quite quickly. $300 - $450 per 30 days. And that's not including the extra food I ate along with it.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Other than the health benefits, at almost a month Sober, I can't help but think I saved around 700$ from not buying booze. It's going towards all the debts I created, the ones I imagined would disappear if I got hammered. LOL! I have to laugh at how stupid I was thinking in the end of my brilliant self destruction career"

Hah!!! I was just about to post a comment very like this one. I sat down the other night and paid bills. All before they were due. And had money to pay them. And money left over AFTER paying them. How weird is that?! Now if only I could quit the cigarettes....I would be a milliionaire.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was told on this forum to read the book kick the drink easily. I ordered the kindle version and I must say it was one of the best. Bottom line is by not drinking we must realize we are giving up nothing!!!!!