Notices

To IOP or not to IOP

Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To IOP or not to IOP

I quit drinking last Sunday and today is number 8. My doctor recommended going to a IOP program so I went for an assessment last week. I have been going to meetings every day since I quit and have been feeling better. Today someone from the treatment center called and said they do not accept my insurance and I would have to pay out of pocket. I am trying to decide if I should look into other facilities that take my insurance or just continue to go to meetings and keep working the steps.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry but it is impossible for me to give you a definite answer. Sounds like you have struggled with alcohol for many years. I had to do things that were financially hard on me and my family so I was willing to go to any length to get sober. I went to IOP twice. Once when I tried to quit but drank right through it and again after I hit "bottom". Nothing would have worked for me unless I was ready. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

What is IOP?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
What is IOP?
Intensive outpatient program. I
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

why not look for other facilities that might take your insurance - if there are none, or none suitable then your decision is made for you, and you can commit yourself to AA?

D
Old 12-30-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Difficult choice you have. But personally if you want sobriety bad enough. Nothing can stop you from succeeding.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by DJSid View Post
Intensive outpatient program. I
Oh right. Thank you x
Old 01-10-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started with IOP and after 4 weeks have decided that I set myself up for disaster. I had to miss a session this week and my counselor threatened to call youth services saying that I am putting my kids at risk! I want to quit because my anxiety is the worst it's ever been knowing they can call Dyfs out of anger and put my home life and work life at risk. Can I quit if I want to? I would continue with my meetings and counseling
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I agree that if you really want to recover, you will. You will find the resources you need, and make the most of the resources you have available.

Awesome if you can swing IOP, either with or without insurance, but dont' fall into the magical thinking that IOP is what will make or break your sobriety. It can be a great tool if it's available, but you, not the recovery program is the crucial and deciding factor.

I found IOP to be helpful in that it helped me lay it all out in front of me, the issues that I was dealing with and needed to resolve. But it didn't resolve them, that was up to me working a long term recovery program.

There were things said and done in IOP that p*ssed me off. That's not necessarily a bad thing or a reason to avoid it, but it might be good to know that it's not all going to be fun and roses, and every minute of it might not feel pertinent or helpful.

If you do go, I'd suggest using all the resources made available to you. Many times I found I paid for something and out of lazy habit or whatever didn't actually use what was made avaialble to me and later realized that I really cut myself short.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response! I know there are some benefits, but I am worried the risk of them calling the state out of spite is outweighing the benefits (protecting my butt) apparently my counselor at IOP can call Dyfs for any reason, so my main question was if I leave, am I safer? Or will the agency still be following me? Shouldn't have to say this but my children are at absolutely no risk. I drink but if I am going to be alone with them, I will not drink. Presently 18 days thanks to the support of aa meetings!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How do you feel about IOP against doing the work yourself and attending meetings.
For many the first eight days are the dangerous detox and the rest of it working at helping you stay focused and sober.
Fantastic on going the eight days , only you will now to what level you drank at and what extra help you might need.
Remember this place is a great resource .
Some places are better than others at helping you get there.
Sorry for rambling lastly sobriety for me has been a fantastic and unbelievable find but it did take time for me to refocus and challenge some long held beliefs so it can be done alone at the right time without inpatient help and not all places are equal but keep on and use everything you can to help you.
Good luck, John.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If AA is working and you are starting to feel better, I don't see any reason you couldn't keep working the program and steps and get sober that way. IOP could certainly help,l but it's no guarantee if you aren't committed to getting sober. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on inpatient rehab centers and literally get drunk the minute they walk out the door.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clloo3 View Post
I started with IOP and after 4 weeks have decided that I set myself up for disaster. I had to miss a session this week and my counselor threatened to call youth services saying that I am putting my kids at risk! I want to quit because my anxiety is the worst it's ever been knowing they can call Dyfs out of anger and put my home life and work life at risk. Can I quit if I want to? I would continue with my meetings and counseling
Unless you are there court ordered they can not call. They would be violating doctor patient privacy and they could be sued.

I personally did not like iop. But each program is different. Mine was a lot of packets about anger and stuff i didnt have problems with. Aa is what helps me stay sober.