Notices

Day 3

Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hi all. Feeling quite positive. Have been reading around all the baords here to keep myself focused. I have to day that my feelings have changed a lot in respect of alcohol.

When I joined SR in March, I didn;t really believe I could do it. I wanted to, really wanted to, but couldn't commit or get my head round not drinking. I usually managed sober days on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday but went back to it Wed - Saturday.

My drinking has been progressing steadily this year. I used to only drink out at pubs or at home and my husband could see what i was drinking. This past 6 months, I have been drinking but hiding it. A month ago, my husband told me he was proud of me that I had not had a drink from Mon-Fri, not knowing that i had been drinking at least a bottle and a half each night in secret. Its amazing what lengths you can go to so that you can do this in secret.

The last month or so I have been drinking almost 2 bottles, sometimes more of wine per night. Last Friday night I did the same, at home, in seret, while my hisband was out (not drinking btw).

I woke up on Saturday morning and thought 'that's it, I've had enough' and managed to have my first sober Saturday in about 8 years.

I'm on day 3 now and I have absolutely no desire to put myself through all that again. To me the drink is off the table, its not an option, I don't want it anymore.

I feel lighthearted at the realisation that I no longer have to go to all the lengths that I have had to in the past to buy drink, hide it, hide drinking it, dispose of bottles in some bottle bank somewhere - Its just too much hard work!!!!

Sorry, I only meant to say that I was on day 3

Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi snaggle ;-))))) i am so thrilled for you .

You CAN do this you know .

You sound like you are where I was 6 months ago , just literally had a gutfull , good for you hun xxx
Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done! We are so proud of you!
Drinking requires a lot of time, there's a hole logistic to coordinate.

For me managing the empties was a almost a full time job in itself!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay! Good On Ya, snaggle-I just got My 48 !!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Snoozy and Patman.

I haven't been able to sleep last couple of nights - not used to falling asleep naturally. Last night I listened to Take Control of Alcohol: Change Your Drinking Habits With Hypnotherapy by Ailsa Frank which helped.

I am feeling good right now, just worried about New years Eve a bit. I have to go to a dance with my husband who is going to have a drink (he has no problems with alcohol at all - in fact he had a 2 month break just because he felt like it (!!) - while I continued to drink every day). I cant really tell him not to have one. My sister will be there too and will have a few. I have told them I am driving - I don't think they believe that I will be able to do this. I have been thinking it through to what it will be like if I do drink on NYE and how I will feel on New Years Day and I know it would be a messy one - definitely dont want to go there this year.

I do have to go to this dance, just for a little while, because we are organising this dance and have to be there to ensure it runs smoothly. Being on the Committee of a charitable social club is probably not the best at the minute but I will work that out in time.... After New Years Eve, I won't have to go there for a while except for one meeting - but that will be ok.

I also hope to start a degree course in February so, in addition to full time work, I won't have time for the Committee.

Thanks for you suppoprt - I hope in time I can be of help to others xx
Old 12-30-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks diffing0911 - looking forward to gathering up the sober days. Congrats on 48!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 3!! you can do this!

Yeah NYE is going to be stressful for a good few of us! so your not alone!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Snaggle. 3 days is a great beginning, just keep in mind how even in just a few day's time, you will feel even better...that helped me. You can do it.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Purple - will be joining the support group for NYE xx
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Beanie - thats what Im hoping for - to see the benefits mount up and not want to go back to that hell hole ever again . xx
Old 12-30-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good going on day 3 Snaggle

If you really need to venture out NYE - have a plan - think about ways you've come unstuck in the past...be prepared for situations, and questions, and cravings.

won't it be great to wake up sober Jan 1?

D
Old 12-30-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi snuggle. It doesn't matter what other people believe. Do YOU believe you can do this? The proof is in the pudding ( sorry this is a British expression ) ! Once you start showing people then they will start to take you seriously. Do this for yourself but at the same time prove a few people wrong. Focus on this , do anything but don't drink, eat anything but don't drink,say anything but don't drink. I am sure you get the picture. All the best.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Toffee. I will have a plan in place and I want more than anything to wake up sober on Jan 1st.

xx
Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hiya well done in day3, im on day 2 and am determined not to relapse aswell! New years will be a big test as living in Scotland

Good luck
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Snaggle welcome to SR, driving seems like a good plan on nye.

It will be my first sober nye for a long while, we may just go to pub over road so I too will have a plan, it can't be driving, lol, but I will think of something.

Have a great nye, hopefully New Year's Day will find us sober with no hangover x
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and LGUNIT3223. NYE will be a big test for us all!

LG - hope we can get the first few days under our belts. I am positive at the minute but I know that at any second my mid set can change to thinking that maybe a few on NYE will be ok and can start 1st Jan - my guard is up against that and I am so determined. We can get throught this and I KNOW that we will be so proud of ourselves on New years Day.

I read on your thread about finding it hard to sleep - me too - am so used to alcoholic sleep that I cant fall asleep naturally. Hopefullt a few more days practice and we will start getting there xx
Old 12-30-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah new years eve will be the big test for us as its so tempting to just start recovery on the 1st but I know I will drink for the next few days after that and be back to the start again.... as for sleeping hopefully that straightens itself out in time snd I knowni eill be on this site alot
Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good Morning All....just headed off to work for the day. Have 3 days today also & was good to read this morning that there are others there with me. Spent some time thinking of all that I'm grateful for this am. Top of the list is that I don't have to live like that anymore. Take it "easy" today.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi snaggle im from co. Antrim too. Well done on 3 day's its my first nye too . Its only another night stay sober and have fun watching the drunk people. I had 4 days in septbwheh we hadva weekend do at our club. I drove all week end and felt great on monday morning x
Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You're bang on when you said that it's a sneaky, progressive disease. I've hidden my drinking from my significant other in the past as well, and that's a surefire sign that we have a problem with it. It's best to cut it off now rather than wait for it to get worse.