Notices

A Path for the New Year

Old 12-29-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Path for the New Year

The Long Journey Home

As time goes on in recovery, if one is fortunate and well advised, a former addict may be on an upward path. I’ve been thinking about a “Journey Home”, free of religious or anti religious bias, one which would welcome atheists and agnostics as well as believers. Here’s a path, most of it familiar to mankind for over 2500 years:

Self sufficiency, namely relief from dependence on other persons, so they no longer are empowered over us. This also includes dependency upon possessions, particularly on those accumulated to display one’s wealth or superiority of taste. Escape from the accumulation of money. Escape from the illusion of a “career” based on the pursuit of fame or wealth. Making do with what’s given. Avoiding comparisons, like what “might” have been if things had been different, if it had not been for this illness, what might have been “achieved”, if....Service to others. Humility.
Gaining control of the “child within” and the “inner parent”, the latter evolving in response to the tensions and problems created by the brain’s “child” like aspect. During recovery the adult part of the brain, formerly anesthetized by alcohol, gradually resumes its role in the thinking process, lessening the influence of the addicted, child like and primitive brain areas.

Freedom from obsessive, compulsive perfectionism. Freedom from self medication or “recreational” enjoyment of a “buzz” and the chemical slavery which inevitably results.

Freedom from excess. Gradually recognizing the value of moderation (except for addictive substances) and that moderation is not really “boring”. It is excess which is boring, and vulgar.

The pursuit of understanding. Learning why persons are the way they are. The pervasive influence of parents, family, peer culture and advertising. The more we understand the more likely we may be to forgive others and ourselves. Understanding eventually matures and becomes wisdom.

Forgiveness and compassion for all living creatures and an awareness of the essential tragedy in much of life.

Recognizing that it is easier to change oneself than to change others or to change the world. Attempting to do the latter may bring only frustration and anger.

Release from the fear of death. If there is nothing after death then there is nothing to fear. If we survive then let us hope for sunlight and love.

W.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Are those your words painter? That's worthy of quoting on some Zen website.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Are those your words painter? That's worthy of quoting on some Zen website.
My words, feeble as they are. Note that it purports only to be "a" path, not "the" path. And I confess to have climbed only a small part of it.

W.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
My words, feeble as they are. Note that it purports only to be "a" path, not "the" path. And I confess to have climbed only a small part of it.

W.
Not feeble at all. In the last 10 months I am learning every bit of what you just said is true. Those things are hard to see when you are still using.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

These are very wise words. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Much love,

MV
Old 12-29-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beautiful, painter . I have always been in awe of the cycle of life and never more so than now, being so involved in the adoption of seniors and special needs dogs. At times really only providing hospice care for a few months. As we journey, may we do so in peace and acceptance, always doing our best to shine our lights . Thank you
Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

Thank you for that lovely post W. Not feeble in the least. " Let us hope for sunlight and love"..... Beautiful!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You write as well as paint wpainterw. Thank you for those words, they are food for thought indeed.