Notices

Holiday set backs & New Year Goals

Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holiday set backs & New Year Goals

Still really new to this site but trying to get the most out of it.
I desperately want to quit drinking and move forward towards a healthier life.
My drinking stems from stress and my inability to control it on my own. Drinking was the only thing I found/used to cope with all of it.
Cheating husband & just life in general creating a huge amt of stress that I guess I don't know how to deal with on my own.

With the holidays I've slipped and I'm sure most of us will/do. I haven't had a straight week without drinking at all. I'm trying not to beat myself up too much about it and think more positively about what I can do the next day to help myself move forward.

My biggest problem is drinking at night. I get bored or I want to "relax" and just don't know what to do with myself other then to grab some wine & start drinking until I passout/fall asleep. My biggest problem is feeling restless or bored at night and then for some crazy reason I get insanely itchy?!? I've read some posts about that and I guess the itching makes sense, but its so bad I can hardly stand it. Makes it really hard to fall asleep.

In my attempts to create a new routine for myself I'm trying to exercise, drink LOTS of water, take vitamins, healthier eating and a more positive focus on myself. Beyond those things instead of sleeping in I'm trying to go to bed and wake up at a decent time everyday. Because nights are worse for me I'm going back to basics and trying to do yoga stretching to relax, reading to hopefully make myself tired along with having some warm tea or milk to sleep. Honestly for me this really does help…..until the itching sets in I'm just trying to ride that out but any suggestions on what to help the itching would be great!

My New Years Goals:
Maybe my goals are generic but these are goals I'm hoping to meet within the next year. Staying focused and using as many resources & support as I can is also my goal.
1. Stop Drinking for 1 entire month (Then move to 2 months, 3 and hopefully 4)

2. Lose weight (50lb gain from nightly drinking and munchies within the past year)

3. Move more/Exercise 3-5days a week at least 30mins a day for 1 month. Walking, biking, running whatever it takes to move. (Hope to move to 45mins in the 2nd month and 60mins in the 3rd.)

4. Finish my clinical hours (300hrs to complete)

5. Find myself a job (Being a stay at home mom is making me a bit nuts! I need that independence & self-sufficency back)

6. Don't forget about myself. Make time for me & try to focus on putting myself 1st more often. Too many times I forget and put myself off. Me time shouldn't involve a bottle or 2 of wine. I deserve more from myself and I'm going to treat myself better then I have been.

Ok those are my goals. They may not seem very original, but I think a lot of us are trying to achieve the same types of goals. The main thing I know I need to focus on is consistency. I've got a positive mindset and I think that momentum will help me to finally get through all of this.

Thanks for listening everyone!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great you have a plan, and I hope it works out for you. And I don't think you need to worry about whether you goals are original or not
Old 12-29-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your post reminds me of me. It is always comforting to me to know I am not alone. I drink at night like you do too and I find it very difficult to go even one day without. I have very similar resolutions. I wish you the best and keep posting.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Evenings are the hardest for me as well, especially during the week when my boyfriend works late and hanging out with friends usually involves drinking. I have similar goals for the new year. I'm planning on joining a gym so I can go there in the evenings instead of the bar. I figure it will be cheaper to pay for a gym than to pay for drinking in the bar several nights a week. Wishing you the best with your goals! A workout buddy might make it easier to stick with it - maybe someone who's in a similar place with drinking and health.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Think about adding AA mtgs or something similar to the plan. Good to get others perspectives and start some sober connections. Accountability to others is a big help in trying to recover. Doesn't have to be AA but something similar or AA could be a big help.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great you have a plan CoSprings- don't forget to use us too - we're always here - it's way better to post and red here at night than it is drink

D