Notices

post x-mas mind set?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

post x-mas mind set?

I know I've been posting a lot the last few days, but getting through the holidays has been an emotional roller coaster. I just want to know if anyone else is feeling this way: I'm low. I think I'm just drained from working so damn hard at maintaining my sobriety over the last few days. SO much work. Instead of feeling happy about it, though, I'm kind of bumming. This is not an invitation to my AV-not going there. I just wish I was feeling better about the success of staying sober the last few days. Perhaps I'm just sensing the long road ahead. I feel like I need to watch a really funny movie. How are you guys doing?
Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've got a little bit of that going on too. I realize that in addition to getting sober (Day 28 for me) I need to learn how to live a sober life if that makes sense. That's going to be a big adjustment. I've gotten a sponsor and have a plan to work the steps to help with that transition.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i felt it yesterday, i was so busy working not thinking about it, then they give me the holidays off..which is nice but i need to be busy. my family was doing shots and i was just sitting in the other room, they asked my fiance to join in and she said no, i said go ahead have fun, she said drunk isnt fun, i know she did it so i wouldnt feel weird, we stayed in the living room and played hungry hungry hippo instead. i guess the holidays are going to be hard for us people.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Watching a funny movie can be very cathartic, malcolm. I'm just curious though, if you are doing anything for your recovery other than just not drinking. We all need support, and SR is great online support, but do you have any real-life, face-to-face support?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sukie44, thanks for asking. SR and a hyper-awareness of my AV are my main tools for keeping me from drinking right now. Unless we count exercise, food, rest, and personal attention to my own spiritual development. Face-to-face support? None. My wife is supportive, but she's working on her own addiction issues, and in terms of action, right now,I'm kinda on my own. I do feel like I'm getting what I need here. However, if I felt truly like I was going to drink, like if I was going to lift that first drink, I'd change course/adjust my approach asap. Does it sound like I'm off track?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No, not at all. If it's working for you, that's great. I'd just like to remind you that there are a lot of options out there for face-to-face support if you ever feel the need. Sometimes, the road is rougher than other times. Congratulations on getting through the Christmas holiday. I know that is especially tough for a lot of us.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

If you feel that something is missing, then why not extend yourself and pursue other kinds of help? In doing so, there truly is no worst-case scenario.

Prevention is always preferable to damage control.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sadly I failed to maintain my sobriety.
On the upside, I admitted to having alcohol problems to a couple of close friends. This can only improve my chances of long term sobriety.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nf1983 View Post
Sadly I failed to maintain my sobriety.
On the upside, I admitted to having alcohol problems to a couple of close friends. This can only improve my chances of long term sobriety.
Good idea, I told everyone close to me too when I quit. Accountability is good, I have nowhere to run to now.

Xmas was high drama for me, not fun at all. But I did manage to not drink. Xmas was my 60-day mark, which was bittersweet given said drama.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, I found going to work easier than the holiday period, with work the majority of the day is taken up, it's only the evenings that have to be filled, whereas this week being off work there's been too much time on my hands, and that means too much thinking about things.

I think though the sense of achievement looking back after NYE (if I survive it sober), after a sober festive period, will be a great confidence boost for the start of 2014!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I felt very flat after getting sober in general. I think sometimes when you overcome such a big hurdle like this it is natural to feel drained. I never had any sort of pink cloud. Even if you are not bouncing off the walls though you should be very proud of getting through Xmas sober x
Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job on staying sober, the long road ahead you mention is only 24 hrs a day, that how I think of it!!

One Day At A Time

Matt
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I feel like crap today and I'm ten years sober. It just happens I suppose. I know I'll feel better later on or tomorrow and that's what keeps me sane. A lot of people without alcohol problems feel a bit flat this time of year. I have that seasonal disorder thing that doesn't help. I never used to get in when I lived in Spain I think we should all cheer up and watch a funny DVD. I got loads for Christmas and a kindle Oooh, I feel better already!!! Well done everyone for surviving Christmas and those who had a little mishap, just plod on, you'll get there xxxxx
Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think at this time of year the reality doesn't always match up to the hype. We want it to be a super special magical time full of good times laughter and a covering of snow just to finish the job!! Truth is it is just another day and when it is over we feel deflated REGARDLESS of whether we are drinking or not. Stick with it and give it a chance to work.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toffee1 View Post
I think at this time of year the reality doesn't always match up to the hype. We want it to be a super special magical time full of good times laughter and a covering of snow just to finish the job!! Truth is it is just another day and when it is over we feel deflated REGARDLESS of whether we are drinking or not. Stick with it and give it a chance to work.
Amen!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Malcolm -- It's hard. There's no getting around it. My attempts at telling my family and closest friend didn't go real well. After telling my brother, he offered me wine the next time I saw him. Grrrr.

But I did give it a second try with my closest friend and she understood.

I recommend doing anything and everything you can to find laughter. Funny movies? Absolutely. Sometimes, I think re-runs of "Frasier" were lifesavers. So was re-reading chapters of David Sedaris' books -- highly recommended.

It's draining to get sober and start recovering. There have been times I have felt so emotionally wiped out. I have to deal with feelings that I'd numbed with alcohol. That's hard, too, but it beats imperiling my physical health, losing my mental sharpness and feeling my soul die.

I have been sober since Aug. 15. And the hopeful news? The good days start to really outnumber the bad.

A recommendation: SR has online support meetings at 8 p.m. Central Time on Tuesday and Friday nights. It's been super helpful for me -- helps build my accountability, allows me a chance to give back and receive support. And the people couldn't be nicer. Give it a try.

Things get better. You can do this, Malcolm. You are doing this.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Malcolm, I'm kinda in your shoes. I am seeking support on this forum, but I don't have any face to face support to speak of. I feel like I'm doing OK for now. I have a couple of friends I can talk to and that means a lot. If I do feel the overwhelming urge to drink I would definitely seek AA, but so far my willpower is amazingly something I never knew I had. I definitely feel like a higher power is at play here for me. Yes, watch those movies. I have been watching movies like crazy and documentaries that are interesting to me. Just try to stay busy and that helps. Congratulations on your success so far and so much more to come.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I recommend billy connolley the stand up or will hay (1930's movies) on u-tube .. they always make me laugh

Malcom , up's and down's still happen it's how we deal with them that counts , persevere and things do get less intense in my experience … once i'd done 6 months to a year i felt a lot more settled ..

m