Notices

It's finally caught up to me

Old 12-26-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's finally caught up to me

I admit it, I have an issue. I am an alcoholic. My grandfather was one, my dad is one and I don't want my son to be one. Kinda get where I am going with this?

I thought I had control over it for the longest time but now I understand that I don't. I have poured everything out and I am ready to change but I need help. I have tried to quit in the past with no luck. I wen't through some family issues last year and I don't think I have ever healed from them. I drink to escape the pain that they have caused. I have a very loving and supportive wife and has vowed to stick by me though this.

I think I hit rock bottom on Christmas eve. I was destroyed drunk and made a fool of myself in front of my family and extended family. I haven't touched it since then and I know it won't be easy but I am here to have an open avenue on where I am headed. I have been sober two days now I know it doesn't seem like a huge deal but when I have quit in the past the third day always seems the hardest. I'm ready to quit and hope that I can be accepted here to receive support but also help others.

I have gotten over bigger things in life I can do this as well.

Thanks everyone
Old 12-26-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a great place for support. We are here to support and encourage you in your sober journey. I'm glad you joined the family.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It all starts with a Day 1 and I feel you've made that decision that you don't WANT alcohol any more!!

Don't worry about the past, we've all been there, experienced the embarrassing moments!!

It's time to be Sober, and you will find some amazing support here!!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Well done in your first couple of days.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes you can do it! Stay the course.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

dbatlh, I signed up yesterday for support after getting my 2nd DUI in 8 months last Friday. I've been an alcoholic 21 of my 41 years on this earth and this is the first time I've tried to stop. Sure I'm here because of a lifestyle event and if that wouldn't have happened I'd more than likely be drinking right now. I've already lost my wife, terrified of losing my job now, but I will admit after my first post last night I got up today and went to work feeling a little bit better simply by getting support from people with the same problem I have. I'm basically six days sober now. I'm optimistic simply by the opportunity of sobriety. I just got home from a birthday party tonight (luckily no alcohol) and the first thing I did was logged on to this website....this is when I would usually be drinking! As Bill Murray said in "What About Bob"....."Baby Steps"! Each victory is just that - A victory! Best of luck!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Of course you're accepted with open arms dbatlh. We are an understanding & supportive group.

I'm so glad you see what alcohol is doing to your life. It took me a very long time to find the courage to let go of it. I always thought it was helping me through hard times, but it did just the opposite. Congratulations on your Day 2. It is a very big deal - those are some difficult days to get through. You will get there - keep talking to us.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 6 days Broom - it's so good you are feeling positive.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome dbatlh

We do understand - many of us have those embarrassing memories - some of us have many...

you'll find many people here who've risen above past embarrassment to find a new, sober life

I'm glad you've found us

D
Old 12-26-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

We've all been there. No one can drink for years without having those awful moments. You are giving yourself such a gift by taking those moments out of your life. Good for you to make the choice to change.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done, good choice xxx
Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the support. I can already tell this is a great spot to be. Getting ready to start day 3. I will admit I haven't not drank for more than 3 days in God knows how long. I feel good though and I am ready to face it. Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great choice. Welcome. Make a plan and stick to it.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome dbatlh! Today is day 3, and in the past it has been your most difficult, which is common. Keep checking in here, post as much as you want, and delay that first drink! One hour or minute at a time, whatever it takes, you can go to bed sober tonight!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I forgot: Congratulations on making this choice! You never have to feel like you did on Christmas again!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Congratulations on your decisions to quit drinking and to join us, dbatlh. Both are excellent decisions to make

You'll find heaps of support, experience and understanding here, as well as wisdom, strength and humanity. It's a wonderful site

And welcome to you, too, Broom That was a lovely post
Old 12-27-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I have received an incredible amount of support and wisdom from the kind people here. Good luck on this journey. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you made the most important step!

Welcome on board!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can do this. The first week was the hardest for me, but please try to take it one day, even one hour at a time. Keep yourself plenty busy and drink lots of water to flush the toxins out of your system. Once you start feeling the positive effects on your body without alcohol, it will get easier to say NO to having a drink. Good luck.