Notices

I think I might cave

Old 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Actually I am sure why i drank them. Person after person saying "where's your beer??". I guess I was too early in recovery to go.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Start over right now BP,

Look to the goal and for the prize , think what a good dad your gonna be , have some water to help you kidneys . New day tomorrow gonna be a greeny yeh ?

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No worries BP! . . . a lesson learned is a positive thing for the future! . . . brush off and start again!!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had 8 months by my first Xmas and I still opted out. I think that was the wisest course for me.

I can't overemphasise the importance of pre-planning tho, BP - not just at Xmas either, but any social situation - be prepared for all those questions, have answers ready...

be prepared for all those feeling of being left out, of resentment, jealousy...and know they're coming from a place, a instinctual non thinking place in us that doesn't want to see us change our life and get in recovery.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good for you that you stopped and did not get drunk. Now keep up the good work! Just keep moving on....
Old 12-26-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
AA member

Start again tomorrow.

You need never relapse again,it does not need to be a part of recovery.

Make a decision to stay away from that first drink.

Wishing you well.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My wife and I were at a big family party and I don't think anyone cared that we were not drinking even though they were. I think the person quitting worries about how it appears to others more than anybody else does. Hope you didn't give in.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Light up a big stinky cigar and ask if they want one. That'll stop the alcohol pushing!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Very disappointed that I had a few beer but I'm hoping to learn from it and not make same mistake again.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

A very useful tool I learned in recovery (in Al Anon actually) is the word NO.

Behold the power of NO!
Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

BP - You learned something. You'll be stronger now. It happened to me - but I finally got it right. You will too.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

if you walk around with a drink of some kind no one pays attention. Pretty much like I didn't when I was the one getting smashed. Only cared about the drink I was drinking and the next one. They don't notice when you drive home either because they're past it. They sure appreciate a lift though.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for the very helpful support. This site is truly wonderful. The two family members who kept on offering me drinks were themselves very advanced type alcohololics, and would have certainly noticed had I not been drinking. Anyway, I should not have been in hat position but I am taking the positives from the situation and will avoid this type of thing in the immediate future. I am looking at it as a bit of a speed bump, it wasn't severe and now I know my limits, I guess. I thought I was invincible and that I could out myself in any situation but apparently that wasn't so. The weird thing was that I really didn't enjoy my drinks, so I stopped and left. Maybe that's a good thing after all. Regardless, I'm not gonna lose sight again. Thanks again for your helpful support everyone. Have a great sober new years.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

That's the spirit and maybe you can join us on the Stay Sober for the New Year thread that I know Weasel1966 is bound to start (yeah I know, I m psychic LOL).
Old 12-26-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BPositive View Post
Thanks for the very helpful support. This site is truly wonderful. The two family members who kept on offering me drinks were themselves very advanced type alcohololics, and would have certainly noticed had I not been drinking. Anyway, I should not have been in hat position but I am taking the positives from the situation and will avoid this type of thing in the immediate future. I am looking at it as a bit of a speed bump, it wasn't severe and now I know my limits, I guess. I thought I was invincible and that I could out myself in any situation but apparently that wasn't so. The weird thing was that I really didn't enjoy my drinks, so I stopped and left. Maybe that's a good thing after all. Regardless, I'm not gonna lose sight again. Thanks again for your helpful support everyone. Have a great sober new years.
Ignorance is bliss. Now you know what you are doing, if your like me it sort of ruins the whole process of drinking.

It was not a relapse, just a slip - don't let it become a relapse. Be strong and learn, which it sounds like you are.

I find hanging with active alcoholics creates resent. They are in denial and don't want to be shown up by someone improving their life. I try to avoid this situation at all costs.

Good luck
Old 12-26-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by BPositive View Post
I guess I was too early in recovery to go.
Let hindsight today be foresight tomorrow.