Notices

bit of a rant

Old 12-25-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bit of a rant

Ah, man today is turning out to be harder than I expected, guys. Not in that I think I might drink-this I will NOT DO--but hard in other ways. This morning, there were mimosas flowing. People standing in a hot living room, drinking. I'm not in a space to watch that, hear that, be asked if I want a drink. So I go sit outside. Now, I'm the anti-social guy, avoiding the family, bumming out the holiday vibe. These are my in-laws, so I'm not real comfortable blutring out that I've been a closet alcoholic for the last 10 years and I'm now 35 days sober. Now, we are home, giving the kids a rest before going back for dinner--which will start with a frickin' happy hour. Again, I'm not drinking (hear that, AV? Don't even start with your antics), but I'm not looking forward to this. I know that I will get better in these situations, but it really sucks ass right now.
SOrry for the rant, just had to vent to people who will understand.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job staying strong so far, it's definitely not easy!!

Though keep pushing through, we've got your back!!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi malcolmsloan, know what you mean it's everywhere. This is my first Christmas so I've not been far, went to a work do, husbands office, and wine all over the place, I could've almost forgot and poured me self one .
All I could think, tongue in cheek, there isn't enough wine on the table for me if I were drinking and would e drank as much as politely possible then wanted to go home to top up, oh unhappy days, thankfully they're over.

But there is something not right, they say you have a good time putting poison in your system, moan cos of the alcohol related diseases in the hospitals, depressant not stimulant, are we mad?
Old 12-25-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay, I have m ore to add. I wasn't going to bring this up, but I'm too pissed, got to get it out. My wife is also working on her own pretty serious drinking issues. She had just a few days sobrity under her belt--took a lot of work for her, like all of us. Last night we had her family over, but she took the bold step to tell them that we wanted to have a non-alcoholic x-mas eve, that we were working on not drinking. No problem, they said, and the night was great. Then they frickin' pull out the damn mimosas this morning, hand them across the table as we walk in. I turned around and, as I said, sat outside, pissed as hell. My wife was not prepared for this and jumped in. Now we have to go back. **** them, I'm pissed. Ahhh!! there's the rant was looking for. Sorry. I'll be fine, but now my wife is back to square one--no help to her family who knew.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you malcolm - glad you posted about it. Sorry you have unsupportive people in your group.

I remember my first sober Christmas - it was very challenging. I felt resentful, even though I knew there was no way I could touch the stuff. I made it that year - but the next year was so much easier and better. You're doing great.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sometimes they just don't understand. My dad, who was a big boozer, told me, if you want to stop, just stop, just like that. If only! That takes a will of steel and maybe isolation from the real world for a while.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The best thing was to share . . . alcohol is a sneaky bugger, at anytime we have to be prepared for it jumping out from nowhere!!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this Xmas was hard Malcolm but I'm glad you stayed strong - and glad you have a place to vent

D
Old 12-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You seem like a strong bloke Malcolm and you have done brilliant.Your wife will see that and that will get her back on the right track. like you say she wasn't prepared for that so just a little stumble,take care :-)
Old 12-25-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys. I feel so much better just getting home for a few and hearing from others. Like a breath of fresh air. THere are people who get it.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is not cool I totally agree! But you managed so far and that's awesome.

Try your best to remember you are doing this for yourself first. Forget if you wife had some, or if the others get freaking plastered, you are sober, you won't have a hangover, you won't develop liver decease, you won't have to do ****** day 1 again.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done Malcolm. My lot were drinking Mimosas or Bucks Fizz as we call them and I thought it was a bit revolting drinking that time of day especially. My son in law was out on the lash last night and felt like death, but I just cooked ate, watched good TV including the Queen and now am relaxing. Great day. It does get much easier with time x
Old 12-25-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Malcolm

Hang in there ! After a while, non-alcoholics will usually slow down. I hope its the same for you. I am sorry to hear about your wife but it would be tougher for her as she only had a few days of sobriety. Dont worry about how other folks feel about you. It wil soon be the past and forgotten. Not a big deal. However, maintaining your sobriety is ! Keep it up !!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Heading back. Send me some good sober mojo. Really appriciate the support. A few more hours and I'll be kicking it with my hot tea on the couch.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sober Mojo, LOL! Keep that sense of humor, it will bring you far!

Thanks for the laugh!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-25-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It sounds like a bad situation, but it also sounds like your head is in the right place.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

The holidays are so hard on everyone. I'm glad that you were able to stay away from it.

It really does get easier, I promise!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Malcolm I'm cheering you on from Australia.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. Last night at my extended families celebration the drinks were flowing. I just kept a soda in my hand. At one point someone tried to hand me a shot and I said "I'm not drinking tonight". I wasn't really ready for the whole "I'm never drinking again admission" on this occasion. Then shots starting going around and everyone was getting silly and loud. I asked my husband if he would take me home and he was happy to go. I wasn't tempted so to speak, but the behavior was getting on my nerves. Weird I know. Anyhow....good luck to you. Stay strong.