Notices

Communion Wine

Old 12-25-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am a Catholic school teacher and used to love going to church for the wine. When I first got sober a priest shoved the glass of wine in my face and I almost puked on him! I avoid it because I used to love drinking wine. I think it's a very personal choice. I don't believe that accepting Christ's blood is a relapse, as long as it doesn't lead to more drinking. But it would in my case. Do what feels right for you in your sobriety!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I know there is no way I could take it. I can't even stop at one drink least of all one sip.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful

I'm Lutheran but I haven't taken communion in several years. I did take communion a long time ago during a previous period in which I was sober, and what I did then was let the wine touch my lips but did not actually drink it. That seemed to work well for me as I felt I was truly participating in communion without ingesting any alcohol. The taste of wine on my lips didn't bother me or trigger me as I have never been a wine drinker.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I drank the wine, didn't bother me, no trigger. I was never a wine drinker and, to be honest, have had no real cravings for alcohol since I quit. Was just really curious how others felt about it.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was raised Catholic but currently attending Methodist church. I think the last Catholic Church I attended did grape juice and common chalice, wiped after each communicant. The Methodist church uses red grape juice and we each dip our own wafer into the "wine".

I never gave this a lot of thought while younger but I like that it is juice not wine. You never know if someone is an alcoholic or allergic to alcohol. And I actually know someone who is truly allergic to alcohol (swelling, hives,etc.)