Notices

craving on day 3.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

craving on day 3.

Please give me some kind words. I'm an emotional wreck. Had a night full of crazy dreams and sweats. I woke up depressed and craving. I'm telling myself to just take it an hour at a time, to allow my thinking to change. I'm 61 hours dry.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello. Im on day 4 and I know exactly what you are going through! It has been one of the hardest things that I have ever done after drinking every day for almost 25 years. I went to my first meeting last night since I quit drinking and I have to say it really helped allot. I met some really nice people who have been there and done that and offer some great advice and shared experience. I have been drinking allot of water and herbal detox/relaxing tea to flush all of the toxins out of my system. I have been watching TV, playing solitaire and posting and reading on here to listen and share with all of the great people that are all going through or have gone through the same things we are dealing with now. I have to say that it gets better a little every day! Just stay strong and you can get through this!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Serotonin, 3 days is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Rootin for ya.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

3 Days is amazing!!

Even cut those hours into 30min or 15min time slots, and plan to do something to fill the time, my first few days I used to play online scrabble, a game would take 30mins, so when I came home from work I'd say to myself I'm going to play a few games, then after the first would be done, I'd know I'd survived another 30mins!!

How about going for a walk, some fresh air might do some good! hang in there!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there, the first week is tough. I really didn't start sleeping for almost a week. There's lots of support here. I'm starting week 7 and am really feeling good. Have you thought about treatment or seeing your doctor? They can help with the withdrawals. Cold turkey is rough. Good luck
Old 12-25-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im feeling a bit better right now. Im uninsured and can't afford a doctor's visit. There are clinics around here that charge on a sliding scale based on income but the waiting list is around 8 weeks at any given time. The physical withdrawls are getting much less intense and my stomach feels better. Mentally everything is starting to feel very real and it's scary facing the reality of some of the things going on around me. My 15 month old son's mother just found out she has melanoma that had metastasized into her abdomen. I don't feel like I have any friends. I dont even have any drinking "friends" which I suppose is a good thing. My family is all screwed up. I feel down the stairs and injured my shoulder on my first day sober.... blah blah blah poor me.

I do have a son who loves and needs me. I do have a roof over my head.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3. It gets easier. Stay strong. Best wishes.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I am on day three and I woke up sweating and having crazy dreams. Hang in there...
Old 12-25-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there Serotonin! Sending positive thoughts your way...
Old 12-25-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang on in there Seratonin, I know exactly how your feeling. The first 5-7 days are always by far the worst, but if you can just hang on that wee bit longer, then youl never have to feel this way again.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you considered going to a meeting? There will be some friendly people there that have all gone through exactly what you are going through right now. I was feeling down last night on my third day without drinking but I felt allot better after the meeting last night. Here is the address for the northern Illinois area where you can find some meetings.

aa-nia.org
Old 12-25-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DJSid View Post
Have you considered going to a meeting? There will be some friendly people there that have all gone through exactly what you are going through right now. I was feeling down last night on my third day without drinking but I felt allot better after the meeting last night. Here is the address for the northern Illinois area where you can find some meetings.

aa-nia.org
I did indeed catch a meeting today. My first almost 4 years. Not sure how I feel, but I'm trying not to think of it much.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can make it! Just hang on tight.

When you get and urge, think about your son, thank about all the fun things you will do with him as he grows up and looks up to you for guidance. A sober dad, a courageous person who defied addiction and won!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

things do get better serotonin- hang in there
stick close by SR

D
Old 12-25-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It feels like I have two sides fighting eachother inside me. Like a demon whispering in one ear and an angle in the other. I know that if I drink I will wake up ashamed and feeling horrible about myself and have ruined everything I have struggled through the past few days. The addict in me is trying to make excuses and manipulating me to feel like since I was good for a few days I can drink tonight. I feel like I'm the third person looking at myself from the outside.

I have decided that tonight I will not drink for my son. If I can't do it for myself I will do it for him. If that's what it takes for me to make it through tonight I'll take it. I'm not sure if it's the right way, but I can't listen to this noise in my head.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done, each day will get better and give yourself a huge pat on the back for doing so well, especially today xx
Old 12-25-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think some good food and a movie will help me get though the night. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
it feels like i have two sides fighting eachother inside me. Like a demon whispering in one ear and an angle in the other.
reminds me of this old Cherokee story:

an old cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “a fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.
“it is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” he continued, “the other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”
the grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “which wolf will win?”
the old cherokee simply replied, “the one you feed.”
D