Notices

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas!

Hope everyone is having a sober and happy Christmas. If it is not deliriously happy then how about a perfectly alright Christmas? In sobriety I don't experience that rush of happy feelings fueled by alcohol, or the depths of despair fueled by alcohol: I experience that middle ground where my feelings are not at either extreme. Just steady.

No, Christmas isn't perfect...my nonalcoholic husband has been drinking, well, like an alcoholic over the holidays. Drunk every night and looking like crap in the mornings! My younger son came home for the holidays but still hides out in his room and still is abnormally reclusive. I feel burdened by the continual tasks of cooking and cleaning up in the kitchen. I sometimes have that little nagging feeling that I want Christmas to be like it could be in my fantasies. But, none of that has made me want to drink.

I am content with that middle ground of emotions. It's good.

I've had Christmas's when I was actively drinking that were a blur, and now I honestly can't remember them. I had Christmas's in early sobriety that were really tough: wanted a drink, but didn't want a drink. Scared to drink but scared to live life without one.

If anyone is feeling that way, remember you aren't alone: you have SR today, you have AA meetings that meet no matter what, during the holidays, and other recovery programs that know getting through the holidays can be difficult. Hang in there: the eggnog tastes perfectly good without the rum!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

eggnog! blurgh!

Content is good and much better than the despair that always rears its ugly head with booze.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I woke up sober and i plan to go to bed sober , the best gift i could give myself and my family .

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-25-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Christmas to you too littlefish - thanks for the post

D
Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nine hours into Christmas, usually my first drink would be around 7am- Christmas and my birthday were the only days I drank before lunchtime. I'm on my own this year, all by myself and worried I would succumb, but actually alcohol is far from the first thing on my mind (though it is there, and once or twice I've considered going to the corner shop that is open but havent).

I'm going to spend the next few hours watching Qi, then maybe a movie, have lunch, nap, watch Doctor Who then collapse in bed about 10 ish. No different to any other day off for me.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to all on SR. Stay strong and enjoy the season!