Notices

Urgent help

Old 12-24-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Urgent help

All this Christmas talk, is pushing me to the breaking point. All I hear all day long is party party party, relax, have a drink.

Theres no getting away from it all.

Got through tonight by the skin of my teeth, tomorrow I have family coming around and I am hanging on, but don't think I am going to make it.

Any help and advice is desperately needed. Leaving the situation is not an option.

I feel like 2 months is going up in flames. My AV is on steroids tonight and its all getting to me.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

autan, don't be quitting on us now, we're not leaving any man behind this xmas!!

Your close family know your not drinking, right? that's the foundation, non alcoholic drinks all day long without the danger of someone offering you a drink, plus if it's in your own home YOU get to control the party! . . . YOU have free reign of the kitchen etc.

I'd say what helps me sometimes is get outside for fresh air when things get tough, regroup, breath deeply and then go back in.

You can do this!!
Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Autan, tuff it out, suffer through it, you'll be so much stronger for it. Rootin for ya.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It will be tough, but you can do it. Situations like that are hard. Especially considering so many people in my life have been enablers.

I try to think of how much anxiety I will have tomorrow if I drink tonight...
Old 12-24-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And let's no forget how we felt on day1... I personally don't ever want to go trough this ever again.

Just relax, don't try to be the super hero when receiving people, just do your best and take time for you, mix yourself some nice, tasty, good looking sober drinks. Virgin Caesar, juices with Cranberry. Keep a sober drink in your hands at all times.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

autan-
What you know:
Drinking won't solve the problem.
You'll be pissed at yourself tomorrow.
You're strong enough to get past this.
We need you, as much as you need us.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Autan. I had some crazy thoughts too in the lead up to Christmas Day.

Like others have said, some do it tougher than others....it's not necessarily going to be easy - BUT

It's just one day of many. Is all this sober time, all the positive choices you've made, worth it for one day when we 'think' we need to celebrate it with alcohol?

We've tried alcohol, we know it doesn't work for us. It's no way to celebrate for us. It would be sad, Autan.

Big hugs. It's Christmas lunch here in Australia. Christmas Eve was tough, but having a brilliant day. I hope you do too.

Hang in there.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((Autan))

Cravings will pass, tomorrow will pass . . . your sense of pride and accomplishment for exercising your sobriety muscles will empower you for a long time. Don't cave. Drinking is not an option. You can do this.

Keep checking in with us! Thinking of you!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Autan, I hope you're getting through this.

We're here for you.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Autan, I told someone else the day this and it seemed to resonate: Your AV would like to see you dead. Don't let the demon alcohol make your it's bitch.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Autan. Lot's of good advice so far on this thread. Also try to remember how much the AV romaticizes the first drink, it tells us how great it will be and all that. Then the second we take the drink, BAM, the AV abandons us. Where is the romance after the third drink, fourth. . .where is it when our head is pounding and we're hugging the toilet? You are strong and you want to be sober. ANd we want you sober too!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

A lovely milkshake is incompatible with alcohol...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by autan View Post
Got through tonight by the skin of my teeth, tomorrow I have family coming around and I am hanging on, but don't think I am going to make it.
You have Yoda as your avatar, autan so I - not being facetious at all - just wanted to remind you:

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Good luck!!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ultimately, it is your decision to ingest ethanol. It's nothing but a stupid chemical. Why throw away all that you've worked for over a stupid chemical?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know it's hard to be sober but in the long run it will be harder if you don't stop. Just dig your fingernails in and hang on!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm in the UK as well Autan and i hope you are having a lie in and getting up with a massive smile on your face because you don't have
the regret,
hangover,
what did i say,
what did i do,
i may as well drink today to feel better,
check my phone for any random people i offended

You know i could go on with that list!I honestly have the feeling that although you really had a bad night with it, you are waking up today sober free.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have the power autan

your AV has no arms or legs, it has no mouth ...it needs you as a willing collaborator.

It will throw everything it has at you to get you to cooperate - all you have to do is remember everything it says is a lie.

Drinking will add nothing to your Xmas - staying sober will add everything to your future.

D
Old 12-25-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Be strong Autan xx
Old 12-25-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Autan hang in there, it's just another day, it's just one more day to add to our sobriety, it's just Wednesday x
Old 12-25-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Autan I guess it's getting towards lunchtime for you, make sure you've got something nice for you. Have you got some nice sparkling water in the house? Half fill your glass with ice, then some wafer think slices of citrus, fill with sparkling water and then tell me that isn't festive. If you've got some berries in the house roll one in sugar then drop it in the top.