Notices

Stay sober this holiday! Check in Dec 24 & 25

Old 12-24-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas, indeed—the kind of Christmas that paves the way for many happy years to come.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm in. Had a bit of a battle with the AV earlier at the family x-mas eve dinner, but nope. No booze for this cat. I absouletly thrashed myself at the gym today, so I can't wait to get some hot tea in me and go to bed (if only the kids would fall asleep!)

Twinings, that is Fu!@ed Up! Twisted, even! I read that and felt a surge of rage. Think about how good it will feel to walk away from your visit sober, as I'm sure you will. Stay strong!

Merry Sober Christmas to everyone out there in SR land.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Checking in. The family party was fun and it was wonderful to see everyone. Boyfriend was present and appropriate this year as last year was a disaster due to his drinking. I was only a month sober at this time last year so things pretty much sucked last year all around. Much different this year....I am different...amazing what happens when we get sober! My brother came home this year for Christmas and even that went ok. Some drinking thoughts popped up but were brief and easily changed. I am headed to bed feeling peaceful and serene. Glad so many people here on this thread....I feel like I have a whole team behind me as I face this holiday "stuff"
Old 12-24-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

First sober Christmas Eve in over 40 years. I wasn't always drinking but I was always on something. Everyone is tucked into bed. I feel a deep peace tonight. To everyone a good night
Old 12-24-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I feel at ease not going to the family get together tonight. I'm still tending to this headache and I know I would have been miserable. I got some projection of guilt on to me by a couple of family members, but I wanted to have some peace and take care of myself and it feels right. So I think I did the right thing. Am grateful for my SR family, the acceptance, being able to check in with no strings attached.

Good night all. Merry Christmas eve. God Bless and I hope we all get some peaceful sleep!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Everyone else has had a few drinks, getting loud and animated out there. I am sober, getting tired, not really interested in the conversation anymore, but really proud of myself for making it thru today and looking forward to a sober tomorrow. I am going to get ready for bed. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Pledging to stay sober in NorCal. Tonight I kindly refused offers for dinners and stayed home alone. Had a relaxing day/evening. Played with my cats, cooked a favorite meal. Watched some Dateline NBC and played an insane number of bejeweled games. I'm in bed early and happy to have made it through.
Tomorrow is a hike and then the rest of the day with a sober friend
Stay strong everyone - you got this!!
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to you all! I am staying with my parents right now and they invited step-family over. Most of whom are social drinkers, although as I have shared here before, my parents do get a bit over the top with their drinking most of the time. I actually ducked out to go to my first ever Christmas eve AA meeting. It was by candlelight, probably at least 40 people, popcorn style. It was a beautiful experience. Really moving, I had tears a few times as did many others in the room. This is the first Christmas I am not with my little girl and that kind of sucks, but her presents will still be here the next time she is. I am just glad to be sober this holiday and I know things will keep getting better.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Weasel we are so blessed to have you on SR.
Thank you for doing these wonderful weekend and holiday threads.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Phew, a couple challenges today as I was rushing around the kitchen preparing for tomorrow's meal. Usually I'd do that with wine in-hand or never too far from my reach, I instead opted for Calistoga and tea - good choices.

Wishing you all happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas All! This place has greatly helped keep me sober for almost 48 hours!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

This is not only my first holiday, it is my first day. I am scared and alone. I guess that is why I am here. Have a good Christmas.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Ares!

You're not alone here. SoberRecovery is a great place to spend some time--there's always something good going on!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I'm in! First sober Christmas in 20 years.

Welcome, Ares. And Merry Christmas SR!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
I'm in! First sober Christmas in 20 years.

Welcome, Ares. And Merry Christmas SR!
Hey, that's my classmate {hugs}}

This thread is such a blessing. Welcome to the newcomers and thank you Weasel for facilitating it.
I am home from work, it was a very difficult work day and actually I did the first part of my evening shift in the dark (lights went out int the neighborhood).
So I am exhausted and I am still a Grinch but I am grateful for many things tonight: having a roof over my head and SR among them.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Magsie

And me, sober Christmas, it's 06,54 Christmas morning. Happy Christmas to all here at SR, and thanks for all your support and help x
Old 12-24-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Checking in on my first sober Christmas in many years. It''s 6pm Christmas Day, I've been expecting AV but he's only grumbling quietly like a sulky child. Ice and chinotto are poured, I'm off to make ready our seafood dinner.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twinings View Post

My mum (who actually works in addiction and knows i've had treatment for alcoholism in the past) picked me up to come to her house for a week for xmas.
In the car she said something about drink and then said i'll make a bet that you drink and put her hand out for me to shake!
I declined, and said i'm not drinking but I won't make a bet with you about it either.
Then later when we were eating dinner the subject of bucks fizz with breakfast came up and I said i'll have juice. She told me that its not real booze and I should have one.
FFS!!!

Sorry... needed to just let that out.
First sober xmas eve done!
That wasn't nice Twinings, i've had a different kind of reaction from my Mum last night.
I'm at work today (hangover free) and last night my Dad said

were crack open some beer when you get in, i just said not for me this year Dad trying to cut back,

my Mum said "yeah right" giving me the heard it all before look.

She's right, she has so as hard as it was to not tell her to **** off i'm taking it on the chin and i'm going to do whats best for me and prove all the doubters wrong :-)

have a great Christmas Twinings and everyone else :-)
Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another sober Xmas done and dusted here

D
Old 12-24-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Ares nice to have you along , welcome to SR .

Hey greensleves , hey mags , hey marcher , hey django , hey Dee , *ring ring *

Just woke up 20 mins ago and have been reading e-mails , thought the second thing i'd do is check the not the weekend thread and see how everyone is , so hello everyone .

Am planning a slow day today , coffee in a bit and then a long slow shower … my main ambition is to sit down and play tropico 4 modern times through till the end , because i really feel the need to do nothing very much today , i've been burning my candle both end recently and need some downtime .

Just because other people are getting stressed and fractious , no need for us to pick it up … try and keep yourselves on an even keel , steady as we go , *ring ring*

off for my coffee ,

m