Notices

Acceptance

Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance

Well on my 45th day sober I feel lucky to accept the fact that I cannot drink alcohol. For the past few days I have been drinking four litres of water a day, and I think my body has been dehydrated for a long time. The moon over the ocean was beautiful earlier, and I felt grateful to be able to live and experience this planet. My sobriety is a great gift to give myself.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Like to hear such a positive message from you, Ach. We've got to grab these moments when we can find them...
Old 12-24-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
The moon over the ocean was beautiful earlier, and I felt grateful to be able to live and experience this planet. My sobriety is a great gift to give myself.
I feel the same way, Acheleus. To me life is a miracle. Even when it's bad it's still kind of good. Somehow in this giant universe we little specks are conscious and able to ponder our place in it. A giant star or supermassive black hole can't do that. Embracing the moment and being mindful is indeed a gift that we can't really fully utilize unless we're sober.

Great post, Acheleus. I'm glad your day was a good one. Must be nice to be able to look out and see the ocean! I'm thousands of miles from it.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad to hear such a positive post from you! And congrats on forty five days sober!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Those threads like yours really make my day.

When I think about it, we are accepting a life sentence. Not a death sentence like cancer / 3 months to live. So why is it so hard to accept in the beginning? I think we deep down accept it, it's our AV that's getting the death sentence.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great positive post!!
Old 12-24-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you are now able to experience those awesome moments of peace and serenity!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Good goin' there, Acheleus. Sobriety truly is a gift we give ourselves.

Please allow me to offer you this. I see many of us state 'I can't drink anymore'. It comes, I think, from a feeling that some outside limitation that has been placed upon us, and because of that, it is a hardship, not willingly accepted. We twist and squirm under this, and hope that the day will come when this limitation can be removed.

Instead, I offer a much stronger position. 'I won't drink anymore'. This places us in control, making an active choice instead of merely responding to some outside force. We can even view it as a choice that gives us something wonderful, something great, that we cannot have otherwise. It gives us something that we deserve to have. It gives us freedom.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to Go Ach!!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well no tree this year, and no christmas dinner. Just one parent and I do not even feel like it is christmas. The urge to drink is really strong right now, but I am going to fight. Reality is hard to deal with. Oh well maybe next year will be worse
Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Still grateful though and just glad to be sober today.