SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   not sure how to go about this... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/317133-not-sure-how-go-about.html)

wantoliveagain 12-23-2013 01:48 PM

not sure how to go about this...

Just found this site researching how to detox...been reading on detox and how to go about it...I have been off for the last week and a half on vacation in which I have been drinking very heavily and I'm tired and worried about going back to work...I can't function anymore damnit.....and it's pissing me off....I am thinking about admitting myself into the hospital to get help...sry about this being my first post ....I am really a great guy!!! Just upset with myself.....just need encouragement....

HenryKrinkle 12-23-2013 01:54 PM

Welcome wantoliveagain! You came to the right place. There is lots of support and encouragement here.

I'd definitely go see a doctor for help with detox.

wantoliveagain 12-23-2013 02:02 PM

Thank you for the replie...I figure this to be a first step...

KateL 12-23-2013 02:06 PM

And it is a brilliant step. This site is very helpful x

Anna 12-23-2013 02:06 PM

Welcome, and we do understand how hard this is. It's great that you found us and posted and that you know you need support. You can do this and you never have to feel like this again.

Bubovski 12-23-2013 02:14 PM

WElcome to the forum, hope you hang about.
Xmas/New Year can be a very dangerous time for drink:Xmasdanaers, so take care.
Merry Christmas!

Thepatman 12-23-2013 02:21 PM

You made a huge step, that took courage. Detox can be serious stuff, A doctor visit is a great idea.

Take care and welcome

Beanie25 12-23-2013 02:30 PM

Hi and welcome. Facing up to our problems is a huge step towards recovery. SR is great for support.

Ruby2 12-23-2013 06:43 PM

Hi and welcome. I admitted myself into the hospital for detox last year. It was a great move for me. If you have options research or call hospitals to find out if they have a detox unit. If not, I would still go. Self detox isn't advised as it can be dangerous. In a hospital setting you will be given medication to ease the withdrawal and will be monitored, especially for blood pressure increases.

Ruby2 12-23-2013 06:46 PM

And in addition to what I just posted once you do detox and want to stay quit of the alcohol I would have a support plan in place to help with the post detox...AA meetings, here, counseling, etc. it can be extremely hard to go it alone. The more the better.

MythOfSisyphus 12-23-2013 07:44 PM

Welcome! Coming here was a great step. It has really helped me to get sober once I finally understood that I needed to.

Inca 12-23-2013 07:46 PM

Detox stabilized me so I had the strength and sanity to build a support plan and next steps.

Good move if you think you need it.

wantoliveagain 12-24-2013 09:17 AM

Thank you all for the replies.....I tried to admit myself 5am this morning but they felt I could do it from home and prescribed a bunch of vitamins and valum.....looks like I'm going to go this alone.....pretty bad head ache and stomach is rough right now but.....last I had to drink was yesturday at 9pm.....

Franck 12-24-2013 09:37 AM

Hello
I would not handle this all by myself.
Go to a doctor, get admitted in an hospital, but dont fight all by urself.
Did you go to an AA meeting?
Hang on here.
Best

wantoliveagain 12-24-2013 09:48 AM

No not ready to start aa meetings just trying to start down this path that I am choosing...went in to the hospital and they released me an hour later? Breath alizer didn't register any alcohol being that I stopped drinking 9pm and went in at 5am? Maybe that's why they sent me packing?

EndGameNYC 12-24-2013 10:27 AM

I hate to say it, but history and experience have demonstrated that people are more likely to be admitted if they've come in just after drinking and/or if they "blow numbers."

I've known people who've bought booze for someone and sat outside the detox or ER while they finish up, and then accompany them to the appropriate hospital unit.

I absolutely don't recommend that you do this on your own, but for many, this is the best way to get the necessary medical treatment.

wantoliveagain 12-24-2013 11:49 AM

Endgame that's what I was kind of thinking... if I would have went in after having my last drink it might have went a different way? Standing my ground so far.....just went to the grocery store and it was the first time i have walked out without buying some beer....got a feeling tomorrow is going to suck....

Thepatman 12-24-2013 12:01 PM

Do you live alone and or can someone come over to stay with your for the first 72 hours?

EndGameNYC 12-24-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by wantoliveagain (Post 4365259)
got a feeling tomorrow is going to suck...

It will. Especially if you think so.

alba67 12-24-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by wantoliveagain (Post 4365259)
Endgame that's what I was kind of thinking... if I would have went in after having my last drink it might have went a different way? Standing my ground so far.....just went to the grocery store and it was the first time i have walked out without buying some beer....got a feeling tomorrow is going to suck....

I know the meetings thing seams a bit daunting, but I,m only about sixty days myself and I couldn,t have done it without the meetings. You dont have to say anything just listen it really helps mate.