Notices

Mia

Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EndGame

Mia

(The thread title was entered as 'MIA', and has nothing to do with one of Woody Allen's former wives.)

I'm both astonished and not in the least surprised at how man "regulars" have disappeared from this site since I joined nearly seven months ago.

I PM'd one person a couple of weeks ago because I was concerned, and she let me know she's doing well.

As for the rest? If any of you are reading this, I wish you all my best.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, people come and go on this site. Some are doing great in their sobiety and are solid enough to just live their lives, and others like me take a "break" from SR to go back to full time drinking. Did that for afew months, then I came back. Glad to be here
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We must have been in the same wavelength a few weeks ago. I've noticed recently the absence of some of the more previously prevalent posters.

Wishing them all a healthy happy holiday .

End game, good thread despite this wasn't a nod to woody or Crimes and Misdemeanors
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Yes, there are many people I miss and hope that ALL of those who have been on here are doing well, too
Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's the nature of the beast. Some find other methods to stay sober, some go back to drinking, some just lurk/read, some who knows. I'm happy and thankful for all that are here, no matter how often.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me..........lurking quietly.........still here.........I won't leave without saying goodbye first.........just the way I'm wired........day 17.......

Pam
Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I only joined in August and have sort of been consistent with my posts. However, I have attempted to moderate my time on this site - trying to determine if its a passion or an addiction - have not answered that yet. In my almost four months, I can say the amount I think about my issues varies week by week. So I can imagine some will naturally be less active as they progress in their recovery. So staples on this site in terms of contributions I find have moved to the Alcoholism or 12 Step recovery Forums too.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wonder about the folks who've gone silent. Are they doing well and simply don't need to post? Have they become too busy for SR? Have they given up on sobriety and gone back to drinking? I expect there's many of all those groups.

After almost 14 months of being sober it's become pretty easy for me. Easy in the sense of not battling my AV or struggling not to drink. For the most part booze just isn't part of my life now. I'm acutely aware that all it would take though would be one drink to put me back on the road to ruin. So I guard my sobriety like it's my life...because it is.

The holiday season is strange for me. I'm an atheist so there's nothing in the way of spiritual meaning associated with the 25th of December. Yet I'm a human, and I recognize the value of human social constructs. We should be good to each other all them time, but humans can't seem to be good all the time. We have to pace ourselves, pick our spots. So the holidays give us a focal point to reflect upon. So at this time I think of all the people that have been important in my life. Some are still with me, some have passed away. Others have drifted away. Such is life.

Christmas is a signpost on the road of life, a rest stop in the circle of life. This time last year I'd been sober for less than three months and life was strange. Scary, uncertain and magical. It doesn't feel so magical this year. The weather sucks and no one here is really in the holiday spirit. But that's okay.

I hope our MIA friends are doing well. Even though I haven't seen them post I still think of them. I wish them well in their own journeys.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For awhile, I took to focusing on school and work. My sobriety is number one, but I also needed a break from living and breathing recovery on a forum, and actually living and breathing my recovery as a full time student, worker, wife, person. The ebb and flow of it all. I have been missing a few of the people that, for whatever reason, have chosen to become MIA. I emailed a member a few weeks back and no response. I pray that life is well for those members that have taken a break either for awhile or indefinitely. Thanks for posting this.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, sometimes I go through periods where I don't post much here. I occasionally get 'burnt out' on recovery. But I like to be here when I can to remind myself of where I was once, and to throw out a lifeline to those in need. SR was a lifeline to me when I was lost so I like to 'pay it forward.'
Old 12-24-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful

I frequent several internet forums and have noticed that I tend to take breaks from posting on all of them from time to time. I still frequent them, but for some reason I go into lurk mode on occasion. I think it is fairly normal on a recovery forum to fear the worst when a regular doesn't post for awhile. I know I have the same worries if someone in my AA home group is absent several weeks in a row.

Having said that, I think an occasional "shout out" is in order from anyone that has been MIA lately.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Funny , I tend to look for those names I remember from first posting and wonder if I don't see activity. Im glad to see I am not alone in thinking of the 'gang'.

Wish everyone a great holiday!