Notices

A progressive disease

Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A progressive disease

Today I am 39 days sober and feeling so many conflicting feelings.

I am grateful that I have been given the desire to stop drinking. If is already better and more manageable. I never thought I could have a life without alcohol but it turns out it is possible.

The scary part is how obvious it is not that alcoholism is a disease. Now that I am "starving" the beast, my AV is going into overdrive. I hear my AV say things like "just a glass of wine" or "eggnog is okay because you don't like it and won't drink very much". I am actually sad that I can't have a glass of red wine even though I know what it was doing to my health.

This disease wants to kill me. I know that it will kill me if I go back to drinking. I feel like I saved my own life by stopping but it is scary to realize that the disease is still there, lurking and waiting for my defenses to drop.

Do you feel like your alcoholism continues to grow even when you stop drinking? On the plus side, it is making me much less interested in even testing my ability to drink because I don't want to end up worse off down the road and unable to stop again.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It does get much easier as time goes on x
Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, keep it up, I don't know if people ever completely quit thinking about drinking but I hope so, I think about it a lot less after 6 weeks but the holidays and holiday parties and invitations to "meet for a few" are making me pray for strength.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I was told when I arrived at the fellowship that things take time. It took me xxx years of abusive drinking and it will take me awhile to recover from the damages alcohol inflicted. The thing is it did get better when I let it and stopped drinking.

BE WELL
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi DoPerdition. Congratulations on 39 days.

I argue with my av quite a lot, good thing is, I always win. I go through hundreds of different scenarios where it involves me partaking of alcohol, then pleased as it was just a dream or nightmare.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Alcoholism is progressive in its effects. As one ages, one becomes more susceptible to the impacts of alcohol abuse, so yes, it does progress even in sobriety simply because I continue to age. For me, the cravings and obsession have not progressed over time. They have simply maintained at the lower end of the abusive scale.

Alcoholism is also progressive while drinking because the human mind and body simply cannot continue to absorb that kind of abuse and maintain their functioning. It will catch up to you eventually. The thing is, it often catches up with a furious speed.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoPerdition View Post
Today I am 39 days sober and feeling so many conflicting feelings.

I am grateful that I have been given the desire to stop drinking. If is already better and more manageable. I never thought I could have a life without alcohol but it turns out it is possible.

The scary part is how obvious it is not that alcoholism is a disease. Now that I am "starving" the beast, my AV is going into overdrive. I hear my AV say things like "just a glass of wine" or "eggnog is okay because you don't like it and won't drink very much". I am actually sad that I can't have a glass of red wine even though I know what it was doing to my health.

This disease wants to kill me. I know that it will kill me if I go back to drinking. I feel like I saved my own life by stopping but it is scary to realize that the disease is still there, lurking and waiting for my defenses to drop.

Do you feel like your alcoholism continues to grow even when you stop drinking? On the plus side, it is making me much less interested in even testing my ability to drink because I don't want to end up worse off down the road and unable to stop again.
Congratulations on the 39 days. To answer your question directly, yes I do believe that our illness/disease continues even while sober. So when you go back out, I believe its as if you never stopped.

In terms of your mind or AV - if your like me and drank heavily for 20+ years we have rewired our brains to the point that we crave the alcohol for dopamine release. We have been brainwashed that the booze and drugs (for me) will provide happiness to feel good. It takes time to rewire the neuro transmitters.

At 39 days I has just coming out of a pink cloud and was tested in month two and month three. In fact, I had not yet admitted truly that I was an alcoholic and that I was not going to drink again. What I have learned now is that alcohol was merely a symptom that became its own problem of much bigger issues that I struggle with.

I believe that I suffered from a physical (sobriety deal with this), mental, and spiritual illness/disease. SO I needed to put in place a recovery program to deal with all three. As I have implemented and executed on this program, which is a perpetuity my obsessions have been lifted.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Alcoholism is progressive in its effects. As one ages, one becomes more susceptible to the impacts of alcohol abuse, so yes, it does progress even in sobriety simply because I continue to age. For me, the cravings and obsession have not progressed over time. They have simply maintained at the lower end of the abusive scale.

Alcoholism is also progressive while drinking because the human mind and body simply cannot continue to absorb that kind of abuse and maintain their functioning. It will catch up to you eventually. The thing is, it often catches up with a furious speed.
I think this is very well stated. Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post

Yes I don't think believing that the "beast" becomes stronger in sobriety helps. Progressive to me just means we age and can't handle the abuse like we used to regardless if we are drinking or not
Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi do

With the AV I think it helps to remember - the addictive urge has no arms, no legs, no mouth, no brain - it needs your body, it needs you to capitulate to survive.

If you refuse to do that, steadfastly..the urge is powerless. You're in control.

Try not to engage those thoughts. Wrestling with them grants the urge oxygen.

If you have a random thought about drinking would be good - dismiss it as a lie.

Our fear is a mighty fuel - but if you never feed your alcoholism again, terms like progression are meaningless

Just as we obsessed about drinking, we can obsess about not drinking for a while too - but it passes and things get better. Staying busy and productive helps. I find support helps, so keep reaching out here too.

You can do this DP

Happy Xmas
D
Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Just as we obsessed about drinking, we can obsess about not drinking for a while too - but it passes and things get better. Staying busy and productive helps. I find support helps, so keep reaching out here too.

D
This is exactly where I feel I am now. I think about not drinking almost as often as I actually drank before. It has actually made it crystal clear to me that I am indeed an alcoholic. The thoughts don't come when I am in the settings you would think. The holidays sober are not that hard for me and going out in public is not a temptation. It's weird, disturbing times like after I put my son back to sleep after his middle of the night bottle and I am home alone. I didn't actually drink like that before. I guess that's why I wanted to know if it keeps progressing after you stop drinking. I would say from what I am experiencing now that yes, it does.

Thank you everyone for your responses! A Happy and a Merry to all!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I feel like the disease continues to grow. It's lurking there just waiting for a moment of weakness and then it will move in. When I get squirly, I know I have to do more to keep the AV under wraps before it sneaks in further. I step up the prayers, spend more time on here, reach out to more people, or go to a meeting. I don't want to let the AV get the best of me. It's a baffling, cunning, evil little devil that needs to stay under wraps for the rest of my life.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think that the AV continues to grow, even in sobriety. One thing I learned is that the AV is just a thought and it doesn't control you. You can be aware of the thought or feeling, recognize it for what it is, and just let it go. Doing so empowers you.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

When you finally decide you will never drink again, the AV shrinks to a dot. No width, length or breadth. No substance.

Arguing with it, struggling with it, fearing it, all of these involve you inside the addictive urge, and this is not necessary. We can just step aside, and let it go thundering by with no more impact than a whoosh of air. Separation from the AV, something that happens when you decide to never drink no matter what, allows it to be and us to be without any muss or fuss.

The chain of events goes like this:
1). I never drink, no matter what.
2). AV: "But blah blah blah blahblah. Blah blah."
3). Go back to 1.

Then get on with your fine self. Onward!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
When you finally decide you will never drink again, the AV shrinks to a dot. No width, length or breadth. No substance.

Arguing with it, struggling with it, fearing it, all of these involve you inside the addictive urge, and this is not necessary. We can just step aside, and let it go thundering by with no more impact than a whoosh of air. Separation from the AV, something that happens when you decide to never drink no matter what, allows it to be and us to be without any muss or fuss.

The chain of events goes like this:
1). I never drink, no matter what.
2). AV: "But blah blah blah blahblah. Blah blah."
3). Go back to 1.

Then get on with your fine self. Onward!
To a former programmer, I like this concept. Simple source code in a constant loop. Interestingly this is where i believe RR and AA share much overlap. While AA gets a bit complicated with will etc both AA and RR promote a constant loop. Step 12 for AA and work the steps through someone else. Again is is my interpretation and simplification.

Nice comment FS!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The AV is like a doggie with separation anxiety. Eventually, with diligence, even it can be retaught behaviors that are appropriate.

Time and patience and steadfast commitment are key - just as it is heartbreaking to leave a dog whining and crying with no attention it is equally difficult to leave the AV doing the same.

That's how I think of it anyway
Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I believe that I suffered from a physical (sobriety deal with this), mental, and spiritual illness/disease. SO I needed to put in place a recovery program to deal with all three. As I have implemented and executed on this program, which is a perpetuity my obsessions have been lifted.
Yes - if we look back in our past most of us suffered the spiritual and emotional aspect before we ever picked up our first drink. Well said.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

My alcoholism wants me dead whether or not I am drinking. I needed to find a new solution.

There are several solutions available today!

The one thing that has worked for several hundreds of years is when one alcoholic reaches out to help another alcoholic.....

Happy Holidays!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi do
1st of congrats on mth n half sobriety; my suggestion @ this time is go to an alcathon either @ your home group or somewhere else...they have doors open 24/7 on thxgvg, Christmas & new yrs...DON'T be alone on these days coz this disease will talk to you loud & clear. I'm sure you don't want to waste what you've worked for
Best wishes
Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
instant

The obsession with the whole issue settled down after three months or so for me.

Two years down the track the AV is still there "at times" it really doesn't bother me that much- and as long as you can recognise that type of thinking for what it is- it's not a big deal. Some people (eg diabetes )have to do a lot more work to keep their health in balance- in the end my issue boils down to "drinking a known toxin is a bad idea" no matter how it is dressed up.