Notices

Alcohol Detox insomnia

Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Detox insomnia

So even with Librium, I am unable to fall asleep tonight. I have a therapy appointment at 7:00 A.M. tomorrow, so that's 8 hours from now. Depending on how bad I feel, I might just pull an all nighter till the worst symptoms are gone. Usually day 2 for me is easy until bed time.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Earlier I felt totally excited to get this over with, and I still AM excited. I just thought I'd be able to sleep.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe try a hot shower / bath? I've read where the hot water raises your body temp and when you cool off, it's similar to what happens when you fall asleep naturally…your body temperature drops. I also like listening to soothing music.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could never sleep the first night.

Try and get some rest, if not sleep - lie there and close your eyes - if you can't do that, read...or maybe some classical or ambient music?

D
Old 12-22-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lol I'm on here killing time and looking at a car I'm going to buy tomorrow. 2013 Mustang Gt. I'm giving up on sleep till I cant hold my eyes open. I just need to get there. haha
Old 12-22-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's bad enough having severe and chronic insomnia, but not sleeping is only part of it for me.

Lying awake at night, my mind seems more active than at any other time of day. I have racing thoughts around most of the poor decisions I've made throughout my life, my failures, people I've hurt...all wrapped up in snowballing feelings of dread. I'd call it a nightmare, but I'm awake when all this happens. And it's relentless. The longer I'm awake, the worse it gets.

I've been this way since early childhood, and I simply had to tough it out until I was old enough to drink heavily and pass out. And I only discovered that remedy by accident. Without prescription sleep aids, I simply do not sleep, and truly feel as though I'm among the walking dead the following day.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow EndGameNYC that really sucks. I discovered alcohol relieved the anxiety that I have coping with an absolutely miserable childhood. Through therapy, I'm getting there.

I'm guessing even if I dont sleep tonight, my symptoms will slowly go away. Not sure if sleep progresses me to day 2 or if it's the amount of time.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Timelord

In my detox I watched a whole series of House night after night. Usually take 3rd night sleeping gets easier. After a week I had the best sleeps ever.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
wow EndGameNYC that really sucks. I discovered alcohol relieved the anxiety that I have coping with an absolutely miserable childhood. Through therapy, I'm getting there.

I'm guessing even if I dont sleep tonight, my symptoms will slowly go away. Not sure if sleep progresses me to day 2 or if it's the amount of time.
Yes, I agree that you have reason to be optimistic

Booze did tend to calm me down when I first started drinking...until it only made things worse. One of the reasons I drank as much as I did in the early years was to knock myself out at night, though I don't know that I would have stopped drinking earlier each night had I not suffered from insomnia.

The thing is, I don't have the horrific negative thoughts I have when I'm suffering from insomnia at any other time during the day -- though, of course, they do occur to me from time to time. The content of those thoughts simply are no longer a part of my daily life, and haven't been for a very long time.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think I have built a librium tolerance. Last time I detoxed, I took 40mg and i went to sleep fine. This time I took 75mg and I'm just now getting a little tired. I just hope when I have to be awake in 6 hours, most of these symptoms are gone.

I'm going to be on bp meds for about a week due to bp spikes during alcohol withdrawal.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, I was up to a fifth (750 ml) a night. Can't expect withdrawal to get easier. I hope your insomnia gets better. I'm doing therapy and have found it helps quite a bit.