Notices

scared to sleep

Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared to sleep

Hi everyone. Does anyone else have this problem and any thoughts on how to deal with it?

I have a doctors appointment early morning and could do with some sleep. Im either not tired probably due to the anxiety or when I do fall asleep wake up with a sweat, racing heart and basically feeling scared to fall asleep.

For background. I have had three relapses over the past three months having been sober since May. My longest stint since then was 10 months two years ago. this relapse started on Thursday the week before last and I have been tapering since Friday having spoke to my doctor over the phone. When I was drinking I got up to 6 bottles of wine and I am tapering from 4 over a four day period. I had just over a bottle today and tomorrow will be last day of my tapering. Grateful for any advice.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I was always scared to fall asleep when withdrawing. I really thought I would die. It was horrible. But I didn't die. Sleep is healing. It will be all over the place and disturbed but try not to be scared. It is good you are seeing the doctor. But it will be better when you are drinking nothing. xxx
Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can totally relate. Try to get some sleep though as hard as it might be. For me, I found that it helped me a little with the anxiety. Being over tired just added to my misery.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am going through the same thing. I have found that a good workout really helps with my sleeping. Some sleepy time tea doesn't hurt either! Good luck!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was always like that for a day or two. I just tried to get as much rest as I could even if I wasn't actually sleeping, lying down and closing my eyes helped...

Try not to worry about your appointment - the likelihood is you haven't done as much damage as you think

let us know how you get on
Old 12-22-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Number - That restlessness & anxiety is all part of withdrawing. Even though you're tapering you have less in your system and your body is reacting. There really isn't any way to get around it that I know of. I remember the feeling so well. I do hope you manage to get some rest. It'll be great when this phase is over with and you can begin healing.

Please tell us how your appointment goes. We care.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a terrible sleeper. I'll be up pacing the house at 3AM and then sound asleep for a nap at 3PM. Sorry, I'm no help on this one.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Insomnia off and on for over 30 years for me. Got hooked on "nerve pills" to "help" it a couple times. Now I am finally getting off the latest round of Mother's little helpers. I find chamomile tea and reiki/meditation type music to help somewhat. Herb Ernst has some wonderful stuff for instance. I am rooting for you to sleep peacefully tonight. Good luck at the Doctor and with all else you are going through.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I listened to xa-speaker.org and fell asleep to those talks on alcoholism (on my phone's mp3 player)
Old 12-23-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Number - That restlessness & anxiety is all part of withdrawing. Even though you're tapering you have less in your system and your body is reacting. There really isn't any way to get around it that I know of. I remember the feeling so well. I do hope you manage to get some rest. It'll be great when this phase is over with and you can begin healing.

Please tell us how your appointment goes. We care.
Thanks for that Hevyn. basically it went well, I was very impressed with the practitioner.

She tore a strip off me for the first 20 minutes asking why I was relapsing and drinking those hideous amounts. I guess she used this to measure my response because she them told me what was happening, which was the first time I had heard that even though I had been in rehab. By going cold turkey previously I had damaged my body. She said that I should up my tappering slightly and meet again on Friday.

In the meantime I will get my bloods done and write up my story to discuss with her for the first step. I may need a medicated detox depending on the blood results - hopefully not. im also going to be seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist. She said that she will be asking her boss that I be transferred into her care (she was the duty person today). No one has spoken to me with that much information and in that manner before. I'm pleased.