Notices

Anxiety Attack

Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety Attack

Currently I'm having an anxiety attack. I've read up on withdrawal yesterday and looked into anxiety attacks also, since the first time I quit I experienced anxiety as well. I'm not normally a fearful or anxious person, so this is pretty foreign to me.

I know it's a symptom of withdrawal and that it'll go away. What I'd like to know is, for how long a period after quitting can these attacks occur? I don't mean the duration of a single attack, but the tendency to have them until they go away.

I feel for people with an anxiety or panic disorder...

I'm going to read the Big Book to get some useful distraction. I'd like to hear about other member's experience with this though.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, they can continue to happen in sobriety. Drinking won't make it any better though.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

The best guy I came across throughout my lifetime long research on a topic is Peter A. Levine - he goes straight to the core of our being and starts there. Here is him dealing with a PTSD sufferer, an Iraq veteran: Resolving Trauma in Psychotherapy with Peter Levine Video - YouTube

This and online research about Dr. Levine will tell you is this something you'd like to pursue further or not.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, I had them off and on for two days after I quit this time.

But I may have gotten lucky that they stopped so soon. I would imagine it depends on the person.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

happyperson - I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I've been suffering with really bad anxiety the last week or so. Yesterday afternoon/evening I didn't feel too bad, but I woke up today and immediately felt anxious and I've been trying to deal with it all morning. I ate breakfast (eating helps) and I'm resting a bit. I'm going to get on my bike trainer in a little bit to get some cardio exercise (also helps a ton), then a long, hot shower.

Hang in there and feel free to PM if you want.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will be different for everyone. Just know that soon enough you will level off.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really like that Peter Levine video Correy. The man himself has such a soothing and compassionate presence, it calmed me right down just watching him.

His name is going on my "to look into" list!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I expect (and hope) that for me it will pass soon. Even though I have OCD, even that doesn't tend to involve anxiety. It's more like a feeling of guilt instead. But that's a whole different topic I should get some professional help for.

Fortunately I seem to be healthy otherwise. I'm eating healthy. Feel better every hour and stay active. So that's going well. No sign of any health problems.

I just took a few deep breaths and reminded myself that everything will be fine. And that now that I'm sober, my life will get better. That helped a lot.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by happyperson View Post
I really like that Peter Levine video Correy. The man himself has such a soothing and compassionate presence, it calmed me right down just watching him.

His name is going on my "to look into" list!
This video is closer to what you're looking for: Peter A. Levine PhD - Spirituality & Trauma

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Correy, thanks a lot. This guy is very interesting. Personally I'm not a spiritual person. I don't believe in God or a Higher Power. But still I did take some useful things from that video. Like the surrendering part for example.

I'll browse his videos a lot more in the coming days!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by happyperson View Post
Personally I'm not a spiritual person. I don't believe in God or a Higher Power.
Than he's the guy for you. His REAL school of thought is based on the animal in us. Anxiety is the energy of fear trapped in the body, e.g. never released...

The rest is on you

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

The simple breathing techniques that you've probably been trying can really help. I do have ongoing anxiety and sometimes panic attacks. I know that if I focus on taking a few very slow breaths, it helps to ground me. When I have an anxiety attack, I tend towards very shallow breathing which makes things worse.

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have anxiety disorder and today all day I just keep crying because I'm so uncomfortable. I can't stop drinking because then my skin starts crawling and I sweat. I hate this. I'm glad to have you guys.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feel for you Kayla. Having this anxiety attack was bad enough. To have it as a disorder sounds terrible. Are you getting treatment for it?

I'm not an expert in this area, but I never had any issues with fear or anxiety except during withdrawal. And now it's one away. I don't know if this is true, but if you have an anxiety disorder, could it be that it gets worse than usual for a few days after quitting and then it gets back to a more acceptable level? If so, quitting would have the added benefit of getting rid of alcohol related anxiety. And perhaps when the withdrawal is over, you can deal with it better or get treatment (if you don't get that already.)

There would be these few days where its worse and probably for you it would be very heavy. But after that it would get better.

Do you have family or friends you can go to during the heavy period? Or a detox facility that knows how to deal with people who have an anxiety disorder?

Even without the disorder, I know that alcohol never solves anything. It just suppresses and numbs, but never heals.

I wish you all the strength you need!