Notices

IOP vs AA

Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

IOP vs AA

Hello. I have been struggling with alcoholism for years and have tried to quit with no success. I have gone to AA on and off with periods of sobriety here and there but I always go back to drinking. It starts out with a few beers now and then but in no time Im back to drinking 6-12 beers every night of the week and getting black out drunk on the weekends. Sunday comes and I need to have a few just to get rid of my hangover and end up drinking a 12 pack. I tried to quit a few weeks ago and made it two days. I was having really bad anxiety, it was really scary. I had never experienced that when I had stopped in the past. During the day at work I was so irritable and anxious I absolutely hated the way I felt. I got some beer and came home and drank 4 beers within 10 minutes and felt "normal" again. Yesterday I went to an addiction psychiatrist and explained my dilemma. He gave me a prescription to help with the anxiety associated with alcohol withdrawal and recommended a intensive outpatient program. Some people I have talked to say AA will work as long as I do the work and others think the IOP will give me the greatest chance of success for getting and staying sober. Any advice from anyone with personal experience with these programs would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

IOP followed by AA seems the most logical. But I don't have experience with either. I have used SR and online meetings to combat my alcoholism.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi DJSid, I don't know how it works in your area but here if you attend IOP, part of the program is AA meetings.

Sobriety is your ship and you are the captain. Anything that you choose to use as a navigation tool is a good thing. There's lots of info in the forums here about many different programs. I absolutely agree that IOP is a great way to go but it can be used along with other tools.

I've never heard of someone doing too much to get sober and to maintain a sober life. You have to find what works with you.

I wish you the best of luck. Post, post, post and read, read, read, there's lots of great info here!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DJSid View Post
He gave me a prescription to help with the anxiety associated with alcohol withdrawal

one thing we wish not to do is the

mixing of those pills given with alcohol

I did that years ago

makes for yet an even stronger addiction

not what we are looking for

Mountainman

have seen many sober up in AA
but
must be willing and have a desire not to drink
Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've done both IOP and AA as well as inpatient.

It sounds like our drinking patterns were pretty similar and I found the most success with detox for a couple of days (helps you feel more comfy with the anxiety from withdrawal and monitors to prevent seizures, etc) and then doing IOP but during the days so I could focus on myself and not work. When I tried IOP during the evenings after work it didn't work for me for long. I relapsed and ended up doing the day program.

AA is what I do now and I go to a meeting everyday. I tried AA on its own and it wasn't enough for me at first but I know plenty of people who went to AA and were able to stay sober on the first try. My personal philosophy is that you can never have too much therapy so if you're able to take the time off of work with short term disability, I'd use it.

If you have any other questions I'd be happen to help. I've had lots of experience with treatment programs....
Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, DJS. I suspect your doctor gave you a benzodiazepine to help with the anxiety of not drinking and potential withdrawals. I do ask that you please refrain from drinking on the benzo. In the earlier stages of my alcoholism I mixed benzos and booze and it created some of the worst, shameful things I ever did.

I think the decision on whether going inpatient or just relying on AA comes down to a simple fact: Can you stop drinking and start attending AA meetings and seriously working the program of recovery?

If you can't stop, even with the benzo available to ease the withdrawal symptoms, I would vote for inpatient followed by AA.

There are other programs of recovery. If AA doesn't fit the bill, perhaps try another?

The beauty of inpatient is that most facilities will monitor you during withdrawal, you will be able to avail yourself of information that sheds light on your addiction, you can gain some tools to help avoid drinking, and you just might stand a chance of success.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was agoraphobic due to my drinking. Had severe depression, panic, and anxiety. I went to a detox, a rehab, and then outpatient treatment. AA and the 12 steps were (and still are) a part of my entire experience. Only meds I took were librium when I was in detox, to safely ween me off the alcohol. The anxiety and panic didn't magically disappear once I had no drugs or alcohol in my system, but I learned first how to deal with it, and in time to be rid of it. I'm completely free from the prison anxiety and panic had me in for about 25 years now, and sober almost 30. I'm also very grateful that I'm not dependent on any pills to keep it at bay. The road to recovery from agoraphobia was slow, but constant for me. I had to learn a lot of things I wouldn't have learned in AA alone. Getting OK with it (panic attacks mostly) and knowing that it wasn't going to kill me or make me insane was an important part.

Going anywhere and doing anything my first year was a challenge, but I used all the tools available to me and was able to put one foot in front of the other regardless of how I was feeling. After my first year sober I planned to celebrate with a weekend vacation in NJ. I'm in Bklyn NY. I got as far as Staten Island (about 25 min away), and the panic/fear/anxiety was too much to go any further. My GF at the times was great and said we could just vacation in SI. We found a nice hotel with a pool and did just that.

Just a few years after that I got on a plane for the first time in my life. Since then I've travelled all over the US, to Rome, Venice, Hawaii, France, Russia, Holland, England, Greece, Peurto Rico, Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas... and a bunch of other places. We heal, if we treat our illness. I don't know if alcoholism is a disease, but I'm certain it's an illness, and I had it bad. Along with a lot of other mental issued. Needed to do anything and everything I possibly could to heal it. I'm grateful for the path I was led to. Sounds like you're being led to the same or similar path. I'd suggest taking a seat, strapping yourself in, and getting ready for the adventure of a lifetime. Best of luck, and welcome.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

IOP often has people consider AA as part of their aftercare recovery.

AA gives us a way to life life without needing to drink. My alcoholism wants me dead whether I drink or not....it starts in my brain.....

Meetings are recovery, those 12 steps are recovery, the meetings are so we can freely give to others what we were once given freely by another person.....
Old 12-22-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

AA attendance might be part of your IOP requirements. I secretary my home group once a week and we have a newcomer who has a form that I sign for his IOP.
Whatever method you chose for your recovery, ultimately it is up to you and your true commitment to get and stay sober. You've got to do the footwork and not pick up that first drink no matter what.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today I will not be drinking. I picked up my prescription so I should have an easier time sleeping tonight compared to the last time I tried to quit. I contacted one of the IOP facilities that my doctor recommended here in Chicago as well as found meetings in my neighborhood which I plan on attending. That makes perfect sense that I can't have too many tools or too much support to help me through this. Im hoping I will eventually become less introverted and start doing all of the things that I love to do but ignore because of my alcoholism. I appreciate all of the advice and support from everyone that responded!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I did IOP first, then NA.

My IOP was not 12 step based, but there were some other people in it that went to meetings, and that put the idea in my head to check meetings out.

If IOP is a viable option, I'd suggest it.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share, but welcome to SR DJSid

D
Old 12-22-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

DJSid- I sent you a message. Please check your inbox