Notices

Alcohol and Living in the Now

Old 12-22-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Living in the Now

Day 5 today, and my head is already starting to clear a little bit. I've realized several things that are probably obvious to the casual onlooker.

Alcohol was/is a reward system for me to live in the now rather than think about the future. You see, thinking about the future and planning ahead requires work and rewards in the long run rather than giving me immediate gratification. I love, love, love immediate gratification. One could even say I'm addicted to it...

With my habit of a pint of whiskey a day (and I would buy it by the pint in order to "control" my drinking), and $6.50 a pint, I have been spending roughly $2400 a year on drinking, and that's not taking into account beer, wine, and "extra" alcohol for the weekends. Furthermore, when I'm drinking, I don't care how much money I spend on other stuff like food, clothing, amenities, whatever. Simply put, my drinking habit has been causing me to hemorrhage money excessively.

I know this sounds a bit superficial, but if I continue down the path I was on, I would likely be homeless within the next few years. And that's being generous.

Time to start thinking about the future...

Man, alcohol. Thou art truly a heartless b****.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am with you Imabuleva. And sometimes the practical considerations are what is needed to tip the "not drinking anymore" balance to the winning side.

I estimate that since I stopped drinking 52 days ago, I have already saved about $1050 US. (I liked a particular wine that was $9 a glass). That so far has paid for my snow tires, a nice christmas gift for my niece, and my health care deductible. WINNER!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
Man, alcohol. Thou art truly a heartless b****.
WORD. Alcohol is a greedy, selfish, f*****.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
With my habit of a pint of whiskey a day (and I would buy it by the pint in order to "control" my drinking), and $6.50 a pint, I have been spending roughly $2400 a year on drinking . . .
Hi Imabuleva, I am amazed that you did not increase from a pint/day over time. My spending was not a level amount but increased over time. It feels great to reduce the cost to zero/year!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Hi Imabuleva, I am amazed that you did not increase from a pint/day over time. My spending was not a level amount but increased over time. It feels great to reduce the cost to zero/year!
I did on the weekends and during binges where I skipped work to continue drinking.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by anyistoomuch View Post
I estimate that since I stopped drinking 52 days ago, I have already saved about $1050 US. (I liked a particular wine that was $9 a glass). That so far has paid for my snow tires, a nice christmas gift for my niece, and my health care deductible. WINNER!
Good work Anyis! I cannot think about how much I spent because I will freak out. I drank "good stuff" at nice restaurants. It is inspiring to read that your money is going to family (niece), your own safety (snow tires), and self-care (health care). May we all do so well in changing our priorities.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, alcohol is the devil!!!!! For me anyways...

Hang in there and keep thinking of all the good that will come out of staying away from that poison. Saved money, health, the list goes on and on. Glad you're already feeling better and more clear.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great Job on Day 5!!