Notices

Stopping caffeine use

Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good job UnixBer. I never started drinking coffee so I have no idea what it's like to quit it. I find it harder to explain to people why I don't drink coffee than why I don't drink alcohol. People have a hard time accepting it. Damn peer pressure.
Keep it going...
Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
No caffeine? Ouch... I gave up alcohol, sure. But I need my caffeine in the mornings.
I used to think I needed my alcohol, too. Then I learned better.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I've gotta stop caffeine. I make myself ill. I've got to lose 35 pounds, too. I feel overwhelmed with the pressure of it all.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Another update...

It's day 17 caffeine-free. Somehow it is all better, but I still feel like I'm in a strange fog (for the lack of better words).

I found a great article: Caffeine Blues

Apparently actual withdrawal from caffeine takes a minimum of 3 weeks to an upper limit of 2 months, according to some stuff I've found. Don't miss caffeine, but feel a little foggy.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

That is interesting UnixBer,

Did you drink a lot of Coffe?

I stopped smoking some months ago, I think lack of nicotine did make me unfocused for weeks, I am surprised coffe could have such an effect.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm about three months caffeine free. I have more energy now than when I drank caffeine. Good for you for quitting. It really is an unnecessary addiction. And yes it was just as hard to quit in the short term but it seems long term it's so much easier to quit if that makes any sense. It's just hard to go out for dinner and have a tasty drink now. No caffeine or alcohol, leaves very little selection left at most restaurants. I usually end up with water, I made the mistake in assuming all root beer was caffeine free. So it was a relapse of sorts, my head was tingling all night. I chuckled about it.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

update

Soberhawk: I think there is some similarity to nicotine withdrawal, mostly in the form of the mental fog, it's a bit like paws maybe but not really paws. I'm pretty certain that this withdrawal from caffeine is a lot longer process than a week or so.

Redviper: Thanks for the tip. Neither did I know until now that root beer could contain caffeine. It might feel challenging to find a tasty drink when you have to be on guard for caffeinated ones. It's a small price to pay still in the end in my opinion.

So today is day 22 caffeine-free (and day 205 sober). That makes it 3 weeks since I stopped using caffeine. I must say it has gotten better. I already notice some strange rewards. One such is that I feel like I have one lost part of my personality back, along with certain skills that I haven't felt like I had in a long time. It's strange how it works. The idea of a morning cup of coffee has really become a weird thought, maybe even a bothersome idea, like why would I do that? It certainly looks the way that caffeine was never something I really needed to have. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

update

So it is day 26 caffeine-free. During the past few mornings I've noticed some psychological craving for caffeine, but otherwise things have been running normal. AV has also been active lately and it has caused some confusion... tomorrow will be 7 months sober, so I think the milestone may have something to do with this.

Otherwise things are going good. Don't really miss coffee that much, and life is still livable.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

just a short update

Day 29 caffeine-free:
Things are going pretty well. Waking up feels lighter and easier than mostly ever when actively using caffeine. I believe it really takes its toll, that's just the reality of the chemistry etc. So don't miss caffeine and overall feel pretty good. I could even say that somehow more calm, relaxed and inspired most of the time. So it is looking good so far... Thanks for the replies and thanks for reading.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

The coffee is an interesting issue for me... I started drinking coffee ~age 10, and during most of my 20's and early 30's I had a cup near me ~all day. I actually cut down a lot (1-2 cups in mornings) while my alcohol problem was escalating. Each time I tried to reduce the alcohol, my cravings for coffee would increase. This includes now that I am attempting sobriety, so it will be another thing to address later but I'm not too worried about the coffee right now.

Teas also have caffeine, just lower doses.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I have cut most of the caffeine out of my life. I still occasionally have pepsi max at the weekend, but never more than a 2 litre bottle ( I refuse to deny myself EVERY vice ). Nothing in the week though. I weened off it too with decaff green tea, and also decaff standard tea bags to trick my mind into thinking it's still "normal" tea.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Teas also have caffeine, just lower doses.
Depends on the type of tea. Some teas have caffeine and others do not.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Another update

So it is day 35 or 36 without any caffeine. By now I've obviously become accustomed to this, and overall I'd say there are some benefits... some benefits may go unknown mostly since I've had some strange confusion lately. I try summing it up as AV activity, and I've been thinking of kicking nicotine finally once and for all too.

Life without caffeine is totally possible and I think that having any caffeine now would not give a boost, but would actually make things worse.

Also, herbal teas that say "naturally caffeine-free" are totally caffeine free and so those are safe to use.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Nice to hear Uni. Unfortunately I am back at square one when it comes to caffeine. My vice is energy shots and drinks. Perhaps I should try and cut those out first, then attempt cutting out diet soda, coffee etc. Blah :/
Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Obviously it's not near as dire as alcohol, I suppose, but I hate the "I need it attitude" I still somewhat obsess over the energy shots and drinks. I don't like that.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Congrats on cutting out caffeine. And I love Unix by the way.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I've tried and failed many times to quit caffeine. Last time I tried I realized I was gaining weight and cleaning the house less so I started back up with it.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

update

Day 40 caffeine-free. At first I was thinking of going for a trial of two months... but now it seems that I may remain caffeine free for a little longer than that. I don't miss coffee/caffeine and living without caffeine is entirely possible. I feel it made me more cranky, hypertensive and tired before. So yes definately this has been a useful thing.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it's going well.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Update.. Hey thanks...
Today it is day 48 caffeine-free... nearing the 60-day target time. How things are now however I think I might abstain from caffeine completely. There is no more need for it. This has become a more comfy state of being.