Notices

emotionally fragile

Old 12-20-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

emotionally fragile

Tonight, in my daydreams, I feel like my old friend alcohol would make me feel warm cosy and loved.....got to keep remembering the reality....
Old 12-20-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Warm and cosy but would also cause the chills in the aftermath. Not loved though - its one thing I have learned from this disease there is no love.

How about snuggling up under a comforter with a nice book. I also find having a drink helps me - seltzer and Cranberry juice 80% seltzer 20% cranberry.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I visualize alcohol as having a skull and cross bones. It is poison as sure as arsenic is
Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im snuggled up watching a film presently, I hate drink yet it lures me in. Eugh....
Old 12-20-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It lures us all in - I still think about it daily but I am further away from it than ever before. It would be hard for me to pick up a drink right now. This has taken so much work to get here but its all about the program. SR is fantastic and I am on here at least once a day - For me I needed more though, os I have used AA, therapy (fmr AA) and read tons.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are doing really great JD
Old 12-20-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The lure can seem relentless, but it will lessen its hold on you as time goes by.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this Lorelei !!
Eat something, have some nice warm tea, that AV will subside.... Kick it to the curb girl!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep playing the tape through Lorelei - you know what's back there...keep moving forward

D
Old 12-20-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Guzzling water and reading old threads for now x
Old 12-20-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stay strong Lorelei and think of the sheets on your bed when you climb in sober. Think of waking with the sunrise and tasting breakfast.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I visualize alcohol as having a skull and cross bones. It is poison as sure as arsenic is
I try and visualise that poison eating away at my insides like acid. It might sound horrific but that's probably why it works for me.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hang in there lorelei you know better. that doesn't mean the urge isn't still there, but you know where that goes once you start.

i had a very stressful day at work today. to the point I left early and really don't care if I go back. If I was drinking tonight I wouldn't be processing the day the way I am, or deciding what i really need to do. i would just go into that void and when I wake up tomorrow I wouldn't have experienced or decided anything, or even remember what I had thought about.

Being sober is boring as hell for me sometimes, but every single night I don't drink, I am very grateful I didn't the next morning. Someone posted here once and I will never forget their words... NO ONE has ever woken up in the morning and wished they had drank the night before...
Old 12-21-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Alcohol if a fickle lover though , the kind that trashes your house when your asleep , pinches money from your wallet and leaves you feeling a bit dirty and used and not in a good way .

Keep on , moment by moment , the hardest fight is always at the begining

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-21-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Instead of remembering it as a friend maybe start building that reality vision of what it is; The worst enemy one could possibly have.

I made a little indicator test since early recovery when I studied alternative ways to help with recovery. I stumbled upon hypnosis (geared against alcohol addiction) and found an imagination technique. Now this is only a part of what I took from that technique and made it an indicator to show and reveal the addiction in a simple way.

It goes like this: Try to focus on imagining some alcoholic beverage, like a case of beer for a short moment. Then change the scene to where you pour cans, bottles down the drain in a toilet or maybe in a clean atmosphere, or someplace that is completely dirty. When I did this I noticed my AV start fighting me with this imagination. It didn't like it. It was actually very challenging to pour the alcohol away, even in imagination (lol?).
So until recently I did this same thing, and you know what, it is actually now easy to do in the mind. The AV of course is still there but it doesn't bother much anymore with this kind of thinking. It must all mean progress... Hang in there and know it gets better and better, and if you're having a difficult episode remember that it will pass.

Also remember the strange (BUT TRUE) saying that occasionally goes around here:
"Don't stop before the miracle." <- that one is actually true. Have a nice day L.