Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend thread 20th 21st and 22nd of december 2013 all welcome

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey everyone,

The weekend is upon us . another few days, another few hours to get through .

So christmas is on the horizon, parties are in full swing, we don't have to do any of this or buy into any of it . This is one christmas out of several for us to survive, you can just sit one out for the sake of your sobriety .

If i told you, if you go to that party you will break your leg , then you might think twice about going … Alcoholism is deadly, my blood pressure used to regularly go into hypertensive crises levels, instant stroke levels, so lets take it very seriously like the deadly disease it is .

So if you fall come and get involved and pick yourself up , if you just want to say hi to touch base, feel free . If you want to share a sober weekend what it looks and feels like , what you plan to do that'd be great .

Let us inspire and get inspired, lets get dedicated and determined , get up again if we fall , lets all try and muddle through till monday .

*ring ring* , m
Old 12-20-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay I get to be first
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Second .
Old 12-20-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HA! Still beat ya Lady Xxxx
Old 12-20-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
HA! Still beat ya Lady Xxxx
Bummer! hahahahahaha
Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

you said number two *chortle* *runs and hides* (upon reading it again i notice you didn't … but hey hop we all get it wrong sometimes )

We're all on the sober highway with our sober bikes (mizzuno runs) there is no number two or three .. lets just stick together
This is a journey not a destination , there is miles and miles of blacktop ahead and the road goes on for years and years , lots of interesting things to do and see , and lots of time to hit the cross roads similar to the one before, but this time recognise the signs and not head off down the wrong road ..

*ring ring*

m

Last edited by mecanix; 12-20-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: explanation
Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Count me in x
Old 12-20-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

*ring ring* @ Lorelei

Glad to see you along

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-20-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Count me in!!

Last weekend was a tough one, with a work night out to negotiate, this weekend should be more low key, but this is not the time to be getting complacent!

Tonight is gonna be an early night, I'm gonna get a few raised eyebrows over this, but I'm putting my xmas tree/lights up tonight, I've been intentionally leaving it to the last minute to give me something to do on a cold/wet evening when I've nothing planned, and tonight is the night, the Friday before Xmas usually involved a bottle of Ireland's finest whiskey, but not tonight, I'll be untangling fairy lights.

Sat night, I have arranged to go to watch Ice Hockey, I now have a well practiced routine, which ends with waking up Sunday morning fresh.

I have a real concern over family members visiting, not the immediate ones, the aunts/uncles/cousins that I only see every xmas, someone just arriving with a bottle of something will be a nightmare!!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ring ring everyone!

Weasel is here with cheer!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm In !! Going away to my daughters for Christmas. There will be a fair amount of drinking with the people at her house but she doesn't drink much and doesn't like when I do so I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in!

Just woke up and there is a little bit of snow happening out my window!
They say it will only last for a few hours, so I am going to try and soak up as much snowy atmosphere as I can. So pretty outside. Maybe build a 6" snowman.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Wahey, I'm in! Thanks for starting us off, m. I'm gonna spend the weekend getting ready for my first sober Christmas! I've left it all to the last minute - gift shopping, food shopping, putting up the decorations, the whole lot. Because I'm disorganized. But being sober and disorganized is so much better than being drunk and disorganized!!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm in. I am not so much worried about this weekend. Christmas week has me in knots. This will be my first real temptation in a while. I have spent every Christmas with my family of origin (all big drinkers, some alcoholics) and I have been drunk for the last 27 Christmases of my life. This is Day 83 of sobriety for me, so I feel pretty secure, but I am nervous as all get-out. So, I guess I will be using this weekend to get more sober days under my belt until December 24th-26th.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Count me in. Last minute Christmas shopping today!! The only thing I will imbibe on is soft pretzels at the mall . . .lol!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm in. Nothing much planned for the weekend other than wrapping gifts and cooking.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I retracted what I was starting to type as it was a serious bummer. Instead I will say that I'm dealing with the effects of a seriously negative event that happened in my community. The ripple effects are causing me to think about some negative things that happened many years ago around this time. I'm trying to take care of myself, not to make any big decisions, going to counseling today (thank goodness!), and I'm not going to drink....no matter what I'm hoping to get some last minute shopping in despite the crowds tonight but I think seeing happy people will do me good.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm in!

Soberclover, I'm sorry to hear about the negative circumstance in your community, but it sounds like you have a great plan. Hope the negativity passes quickly.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

In!

Maybe we should just extend this thread until 5 January?

I am working today, but just barely.

This morning started awesome. Had an appt with my CBT therapist. He was droning on and on about creating new habits as if I didn't understand the concept or didn't think it was beneficial to create new (good) habits. I'm sitting there listening politely, thinking I get it! I get it! I get it already! And then he said the magic words to me:

You know, Paul, this is a problem not many people can solve.

KABOOM!

Rat Bastadge has me all figured out. Few things in life motivate me more than telling me I probably can't do it.

Let's do this!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Kinda a rough week on many fronts topped off with getting a cold.

Might go home early and curl up with a good book, and then come to the office over the weekend when I'm feeling better.

17 year old son got in trouble for copying math homework and has to go to Saturday school in January as his school's punishment. Then he and his friends drank beer and threw trash all over the community spa, not realizing that this was all captured by the security cameras. He's grounded for the weekend. Wife and I have to appear before the community board in January explaining his actions.

20 year old son being perfectly cordial, but is spending a lot of time with his boyfriend.

We're going to try to see a movie together on Sunday followed by dinner.

I think all will look brighter sans alcohol.