Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend thread 20th 21st and 22nd of december 2013 all welcome

Notices

Weekend thread 20th 21st and 22nd of december 2013 all welcome

Old 12-21-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Everyone sounds so comfortingly domestic. Shredded pork and macaroni salad. Fruity tea. But then there were urges. I was so exceedingly angry earlier today that I was ready to run out the door and buy wine after saying eff it! I didn't. I started baking cookies instead. I made a batch of molasses cookies. I started caramel walnut slices. Dough is done but refrigerating. Plan on oatmeal raisin cookies but I freeze my butter and then it takes forever to soften. My waist and teeth will not thank me but I didn't drink. I am past the original anger and am now working on the crabbiness I am feeling towards my children who have been fighting all day. Too cold and rainy to throw them out in the yard. I am ready to go back to work on Monday. The kids are off for three weeks for break. It will be a circus around here. My husband has more patience and they mind him more.
I love how you described the transition from anger to crabbiness. Been there.

I'm in, this weekend, too. Rushing around, trying to finish up the shopping and cleaning.

So happy to be here, among such great company.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Phew, made it through last night. Sometimes, I feel like I am running the gauntlet. Not too bad though my friends made greeting drinks to start off the evening. I had to quickly grab a glass of water before he served and said that I would have one "later" (like in year 2200). After that, he promptly forgot and the rest of the evening I was blissfully ignored in terms of wine. Yay ! So nice to have survived !
Old 12-21-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Whew! Finally got all the baking done. Chewy date-walnut bars, raspberry thumbprint cookies, peanut butter cup tartlets and vanilla coated pretzels. I'm tired and have a sugar high! Now on to wrapping gifts and cleaning up. Will probably go to bed early tonight, just from shear exhaustion!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Volunteered at the food bank, came home and napped...I have been sleeping a lot lately. I am just so grateful to have a home, it's nasty out there. Yesterday, a homeless man in a wheelchair was found dead outside.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Carlotta, the world is a better place because of people like you! Enjoy your well-deserved naps!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey hey! Well... Not my best I did force myself to get out and see the movie philomina. Very sad but moving.

Sipping fizzy water and ready to watch tv in bed.

Have a good night folks.

If you are like me when I was all in I would never have seen this post until the time of reckoning in the morning. And then only after I had a few shots first thing.

So... When you read this tomorrow... Know there are others like yourself and that we can learn to make other choices. They exist. It's not impossible.

Ken
Old 12-21-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good for you Carlotta. Have a restful night. And may that poor man rest in peace. How sad.

More cookies from Linda Lou! Yummy. Too bad we can't do a cookie exchange. Am working on the oatmeal raisin cookies. They are almost baked. Don't know if I have the energy to bake the caramel walnut slices tonight. Plus laundry. I've been home all week and didn't do a lick of laundry. I am a bum. Alcoholic tendency number one for me is procrastination. Kids finally not fighting. Daughter went into five year old temper tantrum meltdown and is sleeping soundly. I think I will finish the oatmeal cookies and then wrap it up, taking a hot bath. Husband is working. Truck driver. Heading straight into the weather mess that is hitting Memphis TN at the moment.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Well I've made it until about 8 so it's safe to say I'm going to make it to day 4. We made some Christmas crafts I saw on pinterest. They did NOT turn out the way they looked on pinterest, but they're still cute. We also watched Christmas Vacation, and now my favorite, White Christmas.

Tomorrow is football all day and then we'll make some handprint ornaments. I need to wrap, but am not looking forward to that at all. I hate wrapping gifts.

Everyone is doing so well this weekend! I love all the support!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Yay Amanda! Way to hang in there!

We have been doing collages at our house. Keeps the kids busy and doing something other than watching t.v. It is fun to do it. I got started with collages while in treatment a year ago. It was therapeutic then and remains therapeutic now.

I think I am going to take a bath. And apparently the kids squabbling exhausted them as well as me because my son actually went to bed on his own, no nagging reminders from mom, no arguing and trying to bargain for another half hour. He is out and I am going to take advantage of the peace and quiet. Now if only I could get the two cats to stop fighting....
Old 12-21-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Family gathering today. Went smoothly and pretty non eventful considering the alcohol was flowing. No major cravings which left lots of time to mingle and have some sober fun.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm in. Other than getting snappy at a cousin who offered me a slug of Wild Turkey, I'm doing fine. My sat. night: put the kids to bed, had 3 cups of hot tea, watched a little History Channel, now off to bed.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Ring ring! Hello everyone!

I know I am late joining this thread but I have been reading it. I have been enjoying this pre-Christmas weekend sober by spending time with my family, going to see A Christmas Carol on stage, catching a movie, and getting ready for the next week! All the holiday baking going on around here sounds wonderful! I hope I get the motivation to do some myself soon. The beautiful snow here has melted into rain and I have been pretty moody the last few days. On Friday night all I wanted was to be left alone with a bottle of white wine. Thankfully that didn't happen and I am glad and grateful to be here now.

Drinking is never the solution and these days I am struggling to come up with things that will help. Usually the solution is time when it comes to my emotions, time and self-care.

Have a safe and sober Sunday!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Greetings from an Insomniac Traveler currently holed up in the lobby of the Hilton Garden Inn so he doesn't wake up his wife by puttering around the hotel room. We drove about half the way to Ohio yesterday and are in a hotel right now. It's 4 A.M.and I have been awake for about an hour. UGH! Missing my bed.

No chance I am going to drink, but DAMN IS MY AV ACTIVE! HOLY MOLY! Spent most of the trip yesterday daydreaming drinking fantasies - comfort, scenic vistas and tippling. (The reality is actually waking up face down on the carpet wondering how I got there.) Scenic vistas? WTF?!?

Anyway, it seemed everything I saw yesterday stimulated my AV to whisper it's sweet lies. Like I said, no chance I'll drink. The challenge is to not get all grumpy about it - because I was yesterday.

Just venting to people I know understand. I could tell my wife my AV is active,and she kinda knows what I mean because I have explained it to her - but she doesn't KNOW what it means. She doesn't feel it. (And I know you know what that means, too!)

Be well!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Keep on toughing it out, Non. Sorry you're struggling so. It doesn't help being totally alone in the middle of the night!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

@ sunshine way to go

@ anyistomuch , great you were sober to be there for mum

@ Twinnings , way to nail those cravings , keep on

@ ruby2 i know someone else who like to do cooking and baking when the urges strike , good for you …

@ Nons , keep on kicking it in the pants mate ,

@ everyone , 11 am sunday morning , have to go and brave the shop in a while , although i usually find them empty of people on christmas eve as i think people buy two weeks of food beforehand and don't go out, so i kinda just try and dart in and out using the basket only scan&pay yourself lanes .
going to buy some presents tomorrow … i'm planing on having eggs bacon sausage steak mushrooms , tomato's all of it grilled and fried as appropriate for christmas dinner …

then i can watch mum fiddle round for 3 hours doing her turkey whilst she drinks ..

( although she will need help with sorting the oven out, raising the temperature doesn't meant the food cooks quicker only burns on the outside and stays raw in the middle … 62 years on the planet and hasn't sussed that out yet ! )

Stay strong y'all , m
Old 12-22-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
DAMN IS MY AV ACTIVE! HOLY MOLY! Spent most of the trip yesterday daydreaming drinking fantasies - comfort, scenic vistas and tippling.
Eek tell me about it!!!
The first thought that entered my brain this morning was treat yourself to 4 beers, ignore the vodka and you'll be ok.
WRONG
Not a chance!

Have a super Sunday all!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

5:17 am in Costa Rica ...Sunday morning....Not the holiday "bustle" here...Kids live in California and are "doing their own thing" this year. Just hubby and me for Xmas...so it is quiet and summertime here! Sure to be a Sober, sunny, Sunday. Lots to catch up on, so I know I will not be drinking today....Happy Holidays, all!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Surviving the ice storm in Vermont. I do love a white Christmas but not a shimmering icy one; ah well..... Planning on baking cookies today (not from scratch but hey I'm baking), wrapping presents, reading, and napping. This time bad weather feels good as it is an excuse not to go out and mingle in the craziness. Last year bad weather was a really nutty craving to drink time. The only high going on here today will possibly be my sugar and caffeine high! I encourage all in early recovery to stay strong and feel the feelings you are going through. It really does get easier. I felt like I was going to have to suffer through every holiday every year. I'm actually enjoying the peace and calm this year without the drama and chaos that drinking always caused me this time of year
Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Nons- 4am in a hotel lobby sounds like my version of hell. More power to you!

Just waking up on my day 4. I've been sleeping about 9 hours a night. I'm actually still in bed. I just love the SR app for my phone. Best dollar I've spent!

Today we'll bake some cookies for santa and decorate them. Confession : I just bought the cookie dough this year. Usually I insist on homemade, but I am making homemade dough to do handprint Christmas ornaments of the kids.

I made a big breakfast and dinner last night so today is leftovers. I'll probably take a break from major meal cooking until Christmas Eve.

Which reminds me, I have a question. I'm doing a prime rib, and usually I use red wine to make the au jus. I'm obviously not doing that this year. What are some good substitutions? I know I can just Google it. But if anyone knows, it's you guys.

Time for coffee and a successful day 4!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I guess I'm not the only one whose AV is lying and being totally crazy. It's crazy, the thoughts that try to talk me into doing the wrong thing and how convincing it seems, chasing the 'good feelings' which, as I know, don't ultimately turn out so well in the light of day. It is great to have a place to go where others understand. So, I hope I don't have to white knuckle it through this holiday, but I may...Sobriety is so simple, but I can make it so complicated sometimes!

Put off my shopping. I just don't want to deal with the crowds but I will have to at some point. The decorations are pretty (tying to look on the bright side). Going to watch a bit of football and get some breakfast shortly...

Have a great rest of the weekend. xxoo