Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend thread 20th 21st and 22nd of december 2013 all welcome

Notices

Weekend thread 20th 21st and 22nd of december 2013 all welcome

Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In for the Win!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A quiet weekend for me ahead. My five week work schedule starts on Monday, so I will relax the weekend away! Put a pot of Blackeye Peas and Ham on just now in the pressure cooker. Goin' to the cowboy store, maybe buy myself some cool duds and a new hat with the money saved I haven't been pouring down - about $400 a month
As I was cleaning the cabinet tops two days ago I found a pint of Smirnoff. Mercy me, I didn't even give it a thought. Down the sink!
Happy weekend all. Good luck to everyone!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm in! Day 100, feel like I'm going into the holiday strong, but mindful not to get to over confident. Enjoy the weekend everyone!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Mecanix, glad you brought up the blood pressure issue, it is very real for alcoholics. I too have had issues with it as well as several people I know. HBP doesn't seem as on the radar as some of the other issues, but it is another deadly consequence of this devastating disease.

I'm in for the weekend. The thoughts still happen but I am happy to be here and thinking about volunteering some gardening on this beautiful California day!

Thinking about you all.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders--we threw a Christmas party last night, and it went well. I have nothing to do but sit around and eat cookies till Christmas Day! (I had given up refined sugar earlier in the month, but that went by the wayside.) I have seen felt my waistline expand in the last week.

But I'm not drinking this year.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders--we threw a Christmas party last night, and it went well. I have nothing to do but sit around and eat cookies till Christmas Day! (I had given up refined sugar earlier in the month, but that went by the wayside.) I have seen felt my waistline expand in the last week.

But I'm not drinking this year.
Good for you for the party!
I gave up candy a month and a half ago. But just this week I could no longer resist the candy cane kisses.
I will start again after Christmas proper.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Getting ready for a sober Christmas Taking care this weekend
Old 12-20-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ring-A-Ding-Ding I'm here with bells on this weekend!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I, too, will be there with (jingle) bells on!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm in

great thread mecanix!! Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I am in. It's been kind of a tough month after falling off the wagon over Thanksgiving, but I promised myself a sober Xmas & New Year so going to stick close to SR and make it through. Had almost 4 months and I want that and more back!

Husband is at a work function tonight so going to dinner with my mom and close friend of hers. Taking my 3 yr old daughter too Rest of the weekend will be grocery shopping, wrapping gifts and maybe some more cookie baking. Anyone else used to baking and wrapping while completely buzzed? Guess it's time to make new memories, huh?

Good luck everyone, we can do this!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey Mecanix and weekenders. * ring ring *

I was out partying last night so I've just joined the weekend thread now on Saturday morning. "Partying?"you say. Yep, sober partying, there is nothing like a hangover free Saturday morning for me at least, not sure about the others.

I plan to swim, finish baking Christmas gifts, do some wrapping and just chill. I hope it's a good one for you.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Count me in!

Got my car inspected last night after work (mechanic is a family friend). After the inspection, he said "Well, you're welcome to stay for a beer or two." Its a small shop and many people usually drop by to drink, every night after work. I politely said "Thanks, but no, I gave up drinking." He was quite surprised but didn't push it. Truth be told, I didn't even want a drink! AV was no where to be found. What's up with that?!

Got a busy weekend planned. Shopping, baking sweet goodies to give as gifts, wrapping, visiting family, hanging out here. Looking forward to another sober weekend!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm in. Checking in late. Went to a meeting this morning with my husband and then met a friend of mine for lunch. Tried to find a Christmas dress for my daughter but no luck. The really pretty dresses have no sleeves which would be fine if we were in Australia for Christmas but we are in Chicago where we are getting rain, which will turn into freezing rain leading to a blizzard and bitterly cold temps for Christmas. The other dresses look appropriate for tiny prostitutes and not five year olds. Who designs this stuff? Skin tight, plunging necklines, ruching and sequins for tots. Even 20 years ago I wouldn't have worn it.

Meanwhile I am eating so much sugar my teeth hurt. And I need a hair cut. And maybe I am just crabby because I have to go back to work on Monday after being off since the 13th. And I have to wrap presents. My 8 year old has informed me he knows I am Santa and has been a little brat trying to convince his sister that Santa is fake. She isn't buying it yet. Well, back to picking up the enormous mess my kids made while I was seeking a pretty dress with sleeves. Husband let them trash house while I was out. He has to work at 6 a.m. so escapes the clean up. Resentments are never productive.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Funny about the bike analogy because I just came back from riding my cruiser around the island checking out the Christmas decorations. Passed a couple of parties that I wasn't invited to this year. That would have bothered me a few months ago but not anymore. It's going to be warm tomorrow and I'll be pedaling a road bike at daybreak....hangover free.

Hope everyone has a great and happy weekend. Thanks for the thread, Mecanix. Are you in NYC, Weasel?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post

Anyone else used to baking and wrapping while completely buzzed? Guess it's time to make new memories, huh?
Yes, Ladybug, I was just thinking about that today. Years ago I used to love wrapping gifts with a glass of wine. I would clean and pack to go home and visit for the holidays, all very productive, relaxing, and while drinking.

But it's been a few years now since wine hasn't worked like it used to. For the past few holidays, once I start drinking, I forget about or am uninterested in doing anything else. So some of that nostalgia for the wine while wrapping is there, but it's all an evil fake fantasy. Definitely time to make some new memories.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Count me in! Rough for me last weekend (stress got the better of me and I got angry and had a bit of a pity party.) Still sober though going on 58 days. Therapist and Doctor say I'm depressed. I don't know anything about depression and assumed it meant one was weepy. lethargic, etc. Doc says men tend to get angry when depressed. They have me on a med they say will help. Seems to be working so far. Wife came home from holiday dinner with co-workers and she had a slight buzz (she is a lightweight and rarely drinks.) I could smell the booze on her when she kissed me (yuk!)
Holiday party with my side of the family Sat night. My first gathering where there will be drinking but I feel confident and should be ok. Going to watch my favorite NFL team on TV Sun and help the wife get ready for Christmas. Hope you all have a safe, pleasant and restful weekend.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

A bit late but I am in. Last night we hosted another Christmas function at our house. As host, I served all the liquor. Didn't trigger me. But my goodness, some folks drink like fish ! There were 2-3 folks in particular that downed their drinks almost faster than my pour. I would have been the same not so long ago. I am so grateful to SR for my sobriety. Another Christmas function tonight where there will be copious alcohol. I will be sticking close here !
Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Ring ring, I am in. I ran errands all morning and this afternoon went to my home group. If I did not have the commitment to secretary it, I would have stayed home. I was so exhausted. Well to make a long story short, I went to take an half hour nap around 4 pm and woke up at 7. I feel good and rested, sometimes you just got to listen to your body.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm thankful for the chatting with everyone in the chat rooms tonight. Thank you all