Notices

The drive home from work

Old 12-18-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The drive home from work

I've seen several people mention this so I know I'm not alone. Sometimes my drive home from work is a continuous battle with my AV. It wants me to stop by one of the MANY liquor stores I pass between work & my home. I do not. A lot of evenings we battle fiercely. It tries to charm, deceive and coax. I call it every name in the book and demand it slither back under the rock from whence it came.

Today in particular was a toughie. I so wanted to stop off for some egg nog. I mean I really, really wanted to - I could literally almost taste the creamy goodness. I confess I almost did stop but at the last minute I turned the car and took a different route that did not have any liquor stores that were convenient. I kept thinking about all of you and heard your voices so clearly & loudly that it drown that SOB beast of mine out!!

Creamy goodness? More like poisonous death!

I survived another day thanks to my vigilance and all of you. And I also found a cool new route home. Thanks for being here. I'm eternally grateful.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life - I wrestle with the same issue. Everytime I drive to the grocery store I pass my 'favorite' liquor store which I used to stop at EVERY time I went to pick something up at the grocery store. Seems I needed to pick up LOTS of things. Now I fight it and thus far I am winning. But the temptation to turn into that parking lot are still there.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I get that one. It was almost like I had to fight the steering wheel no to turn into one of the liquor stores on my rotation. If I made it home the cravings lessened to bearable and I was safe.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm with you . . . My drive home is 10 miles, about 20mins on a good day, I get out of work 5pm and I used to stop by either a liquor store called ICE or a retail chain called ASDA, my tipple of choice on a Tue/Wed was a bottle of Black Bushmills Irish Whisky, if it was a Thurs/Fri, then it was a couple of bottles of red wine, european, chianti or rioja!!

Since becoming Sober, I have bypassed this temptation, it is not easy, omg it is not easy, every day I drive past with my ipod on and think, hangover free morning, I want to feel fresh in the morning!!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ho yes, that after work voice, specially after an Awesome day that Deliver the goods like hell and management gives me a praise email.

My AV has all it needs, come on man, you can celebrate just tonight and sober up tomorrow, no one will know but US.
Then I think, US? You the beast and me that want's to be sober. This helps me separate myself from it
Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I pass 4 liquor stores on my way home from work. I used to find myself sub-consciously changing lanes so I would be in position to make the turn right or left as they approached.

It stops, though. I rarely think about it on my drive home any more.

Put that SOB AV in a box and plug his air hole. He'll shut up.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I practically gave myself whiplash all the times I tried looking at my typical bar-stops to "see" who was there. I don't even give it a thought anymore. Changing driving patterns is also very helpful I found.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Egg Nog is a personal holiday favorite for me. It's delicious and creamy without any liquor. I like it in the evening with a hit of Reddi-Whip on top. Good job on the detour!