Notices

first real challenge

Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first real challenge

I have about four months, and until now I haven't owned up to it to my family, just refused a drink here or there because I was driving or whatever. But today begins the next two weeks of revelry, and my family drinks professionally.

I really don't want to explain it all to them at this point in my recovery, and I definitely anticipate some pressure and interrogation. The usual excuses don't fly either--"I'm on antibiotics" won't make it past my doctor uncle, "I'm watching my weight" invites a conversation about my weight I would like to have even less than the conversation about booze. So I'll just say "no thank you" and take it as it comes--after all, they will all be so hammered I doubt they will even notice, and if they do that is their problem, not mine. I am not concerned for my sobriety, drinking is absolutely not an option, but this is still my first holiday season and it's just something I am very much not looking forward to.

I can't make it to my usual meeting tonight, so I just thought I'd vent here for a bit. Hope everyone out there in SR land is making it through the month okay.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Who says you have to explain anything? If you don't want to drink, tell them as much. If you choose to keep your reasons to yourself, that's your business. Be strong. And as much as I don't like using this term in light of recent events.....stand your ground and be proud of the decisions you're making.

You'll make it. But do it for you.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in a similar situation inthetrees.
I don't care to explain myself either and I'm not scared for my sobriety.
Stay strong!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time. You will get through it.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Inthetrees I remember my first drinking situation as a nondrinker. I had anticipated the party would abruptly stop.... Record scratch.....SILENCE. But to my pleasant surprise no one really cared. When questioned about my lack of drinking I've always stated and still state,"trying to live the healthiest life possible, which means giving up a few things".

In my world there's no need for a big alcoholic reveal, as long as I stay true to my sobriety. For some it helps to out themselves to prevent re-entry into the drinking club. Only you know what's best for you.

Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the family
Old 12-18-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congratulations and don't let people make you feel uncomfortable.xxx
Old 12-18-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt a huge need to explain my non drinking, initially.

I realise now I was assuming drinking was as important to everyone else as it was to me.

Most people simply do not care what I am or am not drinking.
It's also nobody else's business why.

I really believe all anyone needs to say is 'no thank you'

D