Notices

Is this how it used to be? I like it!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this how it used to be? I like it!

I still consider myself a Newcomer,
7 months in recovery and making great progress. I had the weirdest encounter last week. I was working up North and met 2 lovely people through the work I was associated with. I offered to assist one of them to gain knowledge in he industry I work in. To thank me they offered to cook dinner for me and invited me back to their place.
The conversation started with the usual. " would you like a drink?" Yes, lemon squash thanks. Then the predictable " don't you dink alcohol?"this then began the slow progression towards a very interesting conversation. I actually felt very comfortable with them. So much so that they were the first non family members I informed that I was in recovery and how it all began. I felt great talking about it.
I feel very confident now and have since told another couple of friends that thought I was just having a long break from the booze. I have so much positive energy and am using it to further develop my skills in my work. It really shows that through belief and hard work together with great support, reward will follow. Cheers (just coffee for me please)
Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Ah, sweet success!! Good for you!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great to hear. I'm still hesitant to talk about my sobriety with close friends but think after I get over the holidays I will!

Seasons best,
>DDF
Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My next project on the road to recovery is helping others to be aware.

I am a Hospitality trainer and (would you believe?) a "Responsible Service of a Alcohol" trainer.
My idea is to start the RSA training in the schools for the year 11 and year 12 students. I wl then incorporate my own story of the " how it all began" and the "over time it got worse" to the " I didn't realise and then couldn't stop" topics to help awareness using education.
This is my idea of how to start making others aware when they are young.

I can then invite experienced drug representatives to join in and also discuss awareness at their level.

Just an idea, but one I have started and at this stage not incorporated my story.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job!! . . . it's great when people take "not drinking" sensibly and respectfully!!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Originally Posted by Reboswon View Post
My next project on the road to recovery is helping others to be aware.

I am a Hospitality trainer and (would you believe?) a "Responsible Service of a Alcohol" trainer.
My idea is to start the RSA training in the schools for the year 11 and year 12 students. I wl then incorporate my own story of the " how it all began" and the "over time it got worse" to the " I didn't realise and then couldn't stop" topics to help awareness using education.
This is my idea of how to start making others aware when they are young.

I can then invite experienced drug representatives to join in and also discuss awareness at their level.

Just an idea, but one I have started and at this stage not incorporated my story.
PLEASE DO! You could take your experiences and help so much with others! Great idea!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats!

I'm at a about 7 1/2 months myself, I do feel like I am struggling a bit the last few weeks, may just be the pressure of the holidays and whatnot.

I have the will to not goto the liquor store. I'm just worried I'll let someone "twist my arm" into having a drink if the situation arises. I am going to have to be very tough.

I've also had drinking dreams 2 nights in a row after not having had them for awhile.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Krodos View Post
Congrats!

I'm at a about 7 1/2 months myself, I do feel like I am struggling a bit the last few weeks, may just be the pressure of the holidays and whatnot.

I have the will to not goto the liquor store. I'm just worried I'll let someone "twist my arm" into having a drink if the situation arises. I am going to have to be very tough.

I've also had drinking dreams 2 nights in a row after not having had them for awhile.
Hi Kodos,

How are things today?
I felt concerned reading this tonight. Do you have support? Is there someone you can chat with?
I don't have those thoughts anymore. I have become so determined and focused that I have learnt (so far so good as I am fully aware of what can happen) to ignore any thoughts of drinking.
Let me know.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you had that experience. Sometimes being open and honest right off the bat can quickly diffuse any awkwardness and help all reach a level of understanding about your drinking. Looks like you found a good "sober" buddy, from the standpoint that drinking won't be needed to maintain the friendship.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Tuctee,

It was a little weird though, as they didn't have another glass of wine after that for the next 2 hours, that's when I left. Oh, and was able to drive home safely without worrying about drink driving.

Yes, love it!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reboswon View Post
Thanks Tuctee,

It was a little weird though, as they didn't have another glass of wine after that for the next 2 hours, that's when I left. Oh, and was able to drive home safely without worrying about drink driving.

Yes, love it!
If they were able to stop the wine drinking and have a good time nonetheless, then they will be a good fit. Sounds like that's the case.

One of the most crucial changes one should make when stopping drinking is changing the people they spend time with. There needs to be a significant proportion of acquaintances with whom one can spend sober time. Absent that environmental factor, you won't have the support optimal to promote a sober lifestyle. Instead, your environment could be dominated by the influence to drink.

And yes, isn't it fantastic to be able to drive home without worry?