Notices

need serious advice, please help!

Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need serious advice, please help!

Hey everyone. I'm glad I found this forum, and I don't know where else to turn. I'm 20 dealing with back hip and nerve pain that runs down to my foot. The pain is horrible and really depressing. I would always smoke weed, when the pain got bad and to help me sleep in comfort. I had to quit weed recently, however. Also, I can get painkillers, but I don't want to get hooked to them. Anyways, my craving for weed is really high. I've only been clean for 7 days; however, this pain makes me want to smoke really bad. I can't live with this pain, but I can't afford surgery right now either. No anti flammatory pills work either.

I know some say weed isn't addictive, but when you deal with this pain it most definitely is. I don't know what to do. If I get painkillers for this, ill end up taking 10 within 6 hours so I don't want to be on them. How can I stop craving for weed or what would you advise? I'm desperate for advise and appreciate anyone reading this giving me support. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I have no experience with going thru withdrawals from weed but I'm sure someone will be along who does. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ttm

I suffer from chronic pain too and I've used both weed and alcohol unsuccessfully in the past.

The best thing I think to do is see a Pain Management Dr.

There's a whole range of pain relief available these days that isn't addictive...you may even find there are non medication ways to help.

Be honest about your addictive past, and a good Dr should find the right non addictive but effective pain relief treatment for you.

Good on you for giving up the weed btw - keep posting here for support

D
Old 12-17-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tried exercises and a lot of workouts that were supposed to help the pain. Nothing worked. I'm becoming hopeless. I spent hundreds of dollars at chiropractors the past 3 years and still have major problems. An orthopaedic said it'll effect my knee and was surprised it didn't yet. Well lately my knee shoots pain also. A doctor said I might have a tear in my hip or not enough cartilage holding my hip in place. It can get to where I can't walk or sit to drive. I had to have my sister drive me to chiropractor last time because I couldn't sit to drive. So this all makes me want weed even more. Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee's advice of going to a Pain Clinic is really good. At a Pain Clinic, they will be able to offer you lots of options for treating your issues. I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, it took me a lots of effort, lots of patience and a few tries to find the right treatment and the right Dr.

Anything is better than being dependent on weed tho. I smoked daily for 30 years.

I wish you well

D
Old 12-17-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR ttm28. I don't have experience with weed - but you already have some good advice - I hope it helps to be here.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ttm - Welcome to SR, though I'm sorry for your pain.

I have to agree with Dee, though I do so with caution. Only because my stepmother had chronic pain from many things, found a doctor who gave her what she wanted, and I found her dead last month.

I've been through a ruptured disc in the back, sciatica and other physical problems. Dee has been through many more pain issues.

It's quite easy to want to just numb the pain. It's also quite easy to get addicted. I recommend seeing a doctor who is familiar with pain management AND addiction.

Weed isn't making your pain go away, it's just making you forget about it for a while. As time goes on, it will take more and more. It's a vicious circle, one I don't want anyone else to go through.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-17-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How much is a visit to a pain clinic? I don't have health insurance. Im taking college courses and dont work for a company with health benefits.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ttm28, are you in the US? If you are have you checked out the health insurance exchange? You may qualify for a subsidy for health insurance. Since you are so young the rates are low to begin with, just a thought.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not American so I have no idea. Perhaps others will know ttm

D
Old 12-17-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Where I live there is a clinic for low income persons. They use a sliding scale according to income. I don't know where you are but possibly you could search for clinics in your area, or network with friends or acquaintances to see if they know of one. I was paying $25 a visit instead of nearly $100.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Honestly, this sounds like a real serious problem and one that needs to be seen by a doctor. There are ways around the pain meds and this is the route to go, if you can. I deal with chronic pain also. Many of us do. I have a post up tonight about this sort of thing. I am with a pain management doctor and so far things have been going well. I know you dont have insurance, but check into a clinic. I am sorry that you are going through this.