Notices

How long for the cravings to ease up ?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

How long for the cravings to ease up ?

I'm 60 days and change and still battle nightly (daily) cravings.

When, if ever, can i hope that these SOB's ease up a little ?
Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know. I think everyone is different. Anything close to what I define as a craving to me was gone in 2 weeks.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd say it was between three and six months that I gradually noticed much fewer cravings. And the few I had were easy to dismiss.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My first sixty days were a little rough but it got easier from then AO...you're doing great

D
Old 12-17-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, it will ease up definitely x
Old 12-17-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My first month was very difficult, but at that time, I started to believe that maybe I could actually do this, and my cravings diminished a lot.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Is it cravings for alcohol, or the habit and escape that you are missing? I ask because I haven't really had many cravings per say. But I have missed the habit and wanting to escape something fierce. Some nights it is a battle to just let the time pass without taking any action on my desire to drink. But as I find myself filling my evenings with activities, it is getting easier. I hope the same for you
Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

When I began to recognize and accept my urges, and understand that I was still safe in my sobriety no matter what they did, my urges faded well into the background. They still came up, but they disappeared with a flick.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I have no compulsion to drink, but my AV is as strong now as day 1. Perhaps even stronger. After 2 months, no let up yet.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After 8 months ... I have to say the cravings still pounce from time to time but the daily nag is gone. That reasonable voice that keeps telling me drugs and alcohol are controllable is still in my head but the daily physical pull has vanished ... for the most part.

I guess it's being in it for the long haul. Hang in there. Be well and be strong.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I feel a strong urge come on I run through the check list : Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. There's usually at least one that could use tending to. I am finding that sober is becoming the new normal, but I have been a bit of a wimp and have not thrown myself into situations where I was surrounded by the dreaded hooch.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alpha big hug what mikie said is dead on! Your at 60 weird stuff always pops up in those 30 day rotations
Take a mental inventory are you depleted somewhere? Are you hurting lonely stressed? You're doing so amazing this will pass, I promise you! And as of today I'm officially in your, "home group" per jdooner sooooo you can always reach out to me if you need a pick me up.

These days will come and go even when you're far into it despite what anyone says. I'm closing in on my 9 month sober baby, and still get knocked on my ass with a hankering/yearning/missing from time to time.

Stay true to you and know this: The hug you need or void your trying to fill will never be found in a glass. We're all her for you as you've been for us!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post

When, if ever, can i hope that these SOB's ease up a little ?
some people almost overnight others may take years. Dr Bob of the AA program suffered with this for a couple of years
Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Personally I don't have cravings at 9 days in. It's more of a habit thing.

This thing pissed me off so bad on my last binges that we are no longer friends. Why would I entertain hanging out with someone that doesn't give give a crap if I live or DIE.

Hope things sort out for you
Old 12-17-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sometimes I have cravings. Almost always when I'm hungry, lonely, angry or tired. I'm rarely hungry anymore since I stopped drinking, but number three always gets me most of all! But then I stop to think of the cost and quickly change my mind. The thought waking up drunk just stops me in my tracks!
Everyone is different.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
Is it cravings for alcohol, or the habit and escape that you are missing? I ask because I haven't really had many cravings per say. But I have missed the habit and wanting to escape something fierce.
I'm finding it comes and goes, and what Mikie said above is at the root of it. On Friday I went to a party and someone spilled red wine in front of me...it got on my hands and I cleaned it up. I thought it smelled like vomit and did not feel triggered in the least. Yet yesterday I wanted wine so bad I could cry.

This time of year is a trigger, of course, because of the holidays, and for me it's also at the end of a semester of teaching so I want to 'relax and let down' (or zone out?). So maybe it's not necessarily about how many months it's been, it's more about finding new habits to mark events or deal with feelings.

You are doing fabulous, AO. Hang in there! XOXO
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well put patman. I too think I got so pissed off over what went on during my last drinking session I am done, and what led up to that point. That doesn't make it easier, but I will not forget where I was at then, and I will go through whatever may come, to not go back there. I have yet to have a bad enough night of wanting to drink that can top that horrible place I was in.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have to say I think the difference and energy to stop this time comes from feelings similar to Patman and Mikie mention. Pissed at myself at the last time I drank, party that I decided to have A DRINK and don't recall the ride home (friend drove me). I don't have cravings really, but only 20 days into this, I do have that nasty little voice telling me I'm over reacting and there is no problem with my drinking and look how good I handle it, I work, it has not ruined me totally, etc... NOW I now... it not only put me in situations where I could have hurt myself but someone else as well (behind wheel of a car) and the poison I was taking regularly, I pray the damage isn't too advanced.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
quat

61 days

Would love for that to be true, hey it could be the case
Hang in there the stupid AV will get the hint, maybe sooner than you think wish you well
Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

They do go away if you don't give them air. Successfully ignoring them also gives you more confidence. I replace the glass of wine with a pot of tea (see pot, left) and having that relaxation ritual helped a lot.