Notices

How long for the cravings to ease up ?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The next time your voice is trying to hurt you, read the post you just made. i will PM it to you...
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me it was much more of acceptance of my step 1. Realizing I am an alcoholic/addict and can never drink or use a drug again. As Freshstart put it squashing any possibility of ever taking another sip, ever. This acceptance was difficult and my brain, albeit a bit kinked and broken would try to trick me by sabotaging my own program. This acceptance occurred roughly 3 months in for me. I also have been spending roughly 20 hours per week working with my sponsor, AA, therapist and SR.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Physical cravings were gone in a week but at three months in, I still get mental cravings occasionally. Usually it's when I have a feeling that I'm not used to processing and was a reason to drink before. I make myself work through them. With enough practice, I think you start to automatically process your emotions in a healthy way but it takes time. Definitely better now than it was at 30 or even 60 days and I guess it will keep getting better with each day and more experiences.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I did not have any cravings when I quit (I really screwed up big time and had no desire to drink) I did think about alcohol and how bad I screwed up for about 4 months though on a constant basis. I would like to think that both the craving and thinking are obsessive, so they seem similar........ After about 4 months, I was well on my way to thinking about other things. You will get there Alpha.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I'm 60 days and change and still battle nightly (daily) cravings.

When, if ever, can i hope that these SOB's ease up a little ?
When I first got sober for twenty five years, my cravings ended with my last drink. No detox, no rehab...Just AA and getting very active at things I loved doing, and some things that I'd never done. I went through withdrawals and all the rest, but even in early recovery I experienced a great deal of relief compared to what I was doing to myself while drinking.

My three-year relapse also did not begin with cravings, though it most certainly ended in tears. I nonchalantly started drinking again by choice, believing that I could then drink safely, and that if things got out of hand, I could take care of it.

When I finally put together some dry time, I had intense, daily cravings for at least the first eight months. I had no intention of getting sober again, but after a couple of months of 24/7 cravings without being able to pay for booze, and/or becoming homeless were I to start drinking again, I found a sponsor and started working through the steps. I had no choice. I couldn't drink, and I couldn't live with all the misery that came with abstinence for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No cravings per se. I am close to 4 months. I never had cravings really. Though... the thought of going out for a nice dinner and a glass of red wine enters my mind about 10-20 times per week (maybe this is a craving though I don't classify it that way??). Eating out and drinking red wine were my favorite pastimes..
Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

i have been sober since oct 25 and still have cravings
Old 12-18-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

AlphaO , my dear friend .
If it helps you any, I'm struggling today and had an unbearable craving that i just couldn't shake , since a funeral yesterday for my Mil.

Let's get through this together love as it really does get better . 2 months was still crappy for me , by 4 months it just clicked.

But there are challenges we don't expect and we are tested.

What worked for me today was going to bed and reading old posts
Dee posted a really good link , so have a read xx

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I really don't know what I would do without this wonderful place.
It's saved me yet again today .

I never feel vulnerable asking for help here .

Let's do this sistah xx :-)

Much love xx
Old 12-18-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by least View Post
I'd say it was between three and six months that I gradually noticed much fewer cravings. And the few I had were easy to dismiss.
My experience is similar to least's. I'm 5 months sober and have just been thinking recently that my alcohol cravings have been becoming less frequent and less intense.

Also, whenever I do get a craving - be it for alcohol, cigarettes, binge-eating, whatever - I've just discovered that urge surfing works really well for me. I know that several people on SR regularly advocate it but I only got round to checking it out for myself about a week ago, through this link: Urge Surfing – Relapse Prevention – Mindfulness

And I was shocked by how fast and how well it worked for me. I should have freakin' tried it sooner!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
Is it cravings for alcohol, or the habit and escape that you are missing? I ask because I haven't really had many cravings per say. But I have missed the habit and wanting to escape something fierce. Some nights it is a battle to just let the time pass without taking any action on my desire to drink. But as I find myself filling my evenings with activities, it is getting easier. I hope the same for you
This is spot on. It's not "cravings" exactly, its the habit of a quick fix.
Thank you for this.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
Alpha big hug what mikie said is dead on! Your at 60 weird stuff always pops up in those 30 day rotations
Take a mental inventory are you depleted somewhere? Are you hurting lonely stressed? You're doing so amazing this will pass, I promise you! And as of today I'm officially in your, "home group" per jdooner sooooo you can always reach out to me if you need a pick me up.

These days will come and go even when you're far into it despite what anyone says. I'm closing in on my 9 month sober baby, and still get knocked on my ass with a hankering/yearning/missing from time to time.

Stay true to you and know this: The hug you need or void your trying to fill will never be found in a glass. We're all her for you as you've been for us!!!
You are absolutely correct. I have been dealing with some "boundary issues" and its triggering the snot out of me. I have been NOT dealing with this particular situation with a friend that is making me exceptionally angry. I have always drank over it in the past. And just buried it. I'm both hurt and angry and being used and don't know how to deal with it.

And you, my friend, are an absolute bonus to have in my corner.

Thank you for always being so gently wise.

XO AO
Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So what can you do to stop this boundary issue with said friend! Confront it head on dont let this fester. And if that doesn't work show her you awesome new hairstyle

Glad to be in your corner, ill be coach Micky you can be Rocky!