Notices

1 month sober today, and my AV is screaming at me!!!!!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 month sober today, and my AV is screaming at me!!!!!

YIKES! I felt so great this morning at the 1 month mark but as the day has gone by my AV is trying to tell me "See, you can go a whole month sober, maybe just 1 drink will be fine." I made it 5 weeks last time before I listened to my AV and ended up blacking out and falling all over the place. WOW, this is rough tonight!!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Anchor! You can do it. Surf out the urges and have something sweet. Do something really nice for yourself. Paper yourself, congratulate yourself, and show the AV how much you love yourself and your new life.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get busy doing something...
Old 12-17-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Anchorbird,

Tomorrow is my 1 month and my AV was talking loudly last night too. Many of the same things.. I got distracted by something and 30 minutes later I realized my AV was gone. I even smelled my husband's glass of wine which looked so good before. Nothing. No desire to even take a sip..

Hang in there!

BTW...I love your Maya Angelou quote!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anchorbird - Keep busy doing something, you've done a month and can make it thru this. I know how the justification works, it's been my downfall more times than I want to count. Hang in there... post here...
Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Trying very had to get off a certain pill right now, so I understand how things can be rough. I think most people get scared now and then, and have a fear of failure. We have to dig way down into our souls and remember how strong we can be. Been reading your comments and it really seems that you are doing so good and working hard. Try to hang in there.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with the other posters, keep yourself busy and do something non-alcoholic to reward yourself. You can make it thru this! Congrats on 30 days anchorbird!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

When you can decide to never drink again, the AV loses whatever oomph it had. Believe you can do it and you shall succeed. You can do it!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

The worst thing about an AV is prior to having a drink, its shouting in your ear, that you have made it this far, perhaps your not really an alcoholic afterall and that you are in fact normal. Normal people drink, so why shouldnt you. Your AV will so convincing.

Then you have a drink, then another. The next day your throwing up in the toilet and wheres that AV, gone. It just took the **** out of you and left you.

Take my advice Anchorbird, meditate. The sleep.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Congrats on 30 days thats awesome.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scream back! Tell that MF AV where it can go! OK, so that's what I did. Screaming at my own thoughts may seem a little strange but when I was hanging by a thread it was all I had. YMMV.

Hang in there.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bruce292, love your post. Did something similar last weekend.

Sometimes you have to be rough with that AV!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Yeah the Av just loves OCCASIONS, like the anniversaries, the end of the week, Christmas - in my case the end of the day was an occasion. It pipes up anytime you feel like you deserve a reward. Once you know this, it's easier to ignore it for the few minutes it takes to go away.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi anchorbird, Congrats on your 30 days!

I always had an increase in cravings around a goal mark and from what I've read many others experience the same. I know that everyone is different but it did subside for me eventually as the months went by. The longer you're sober the stronger the sobriety legs get and you settle into sober life.

I discovered on Monday evening that I have far more fun at a party now without alcohol. Before it wasn't about being out and having fun, it was all about the drinking.

Keep up the good work! It will keep getting better and better
Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there Anchor, ride it out. You'll be fine. I really agree with Autan's observation that the AV is so strong up to the first drink, then, later, away it goes, leaves us boozing and hungover in a few hours. Think about the morning, that sun coming up, and what you want to feel like when it does. Stay strong buddy, you got this. We're all rooting for you.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

First, Congrats on 30 days!!

I am noticing the closer I get to 30 days (which will be tomorrow) the more my AV is outta control. Prior to this past weekend I was doing great, cravings were there but in check. Since about Saturday it's been a constant "shut the **** up" to my AV. The cravings are worse now than they've ever been. I guess it's pretty common. I can't wait for them to go AWAY.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You guys are about to win. That's why it is screaming. It knows it has worn out its welcome but it doesn't want to go. Hang on. Keep busy. Find anything positive to do. Clean something, read, cook, rake leaves, anything. Live. You do not need it, you never have.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
You guys are about to win. That's why it is screaming. It knows it has worn out its welcome but it doesn't want to go. Hang on. Keep busy. Find anything positive to do. Clean something, read, cook, rake leaves, anything. Live. You do not need it, you never have.
It's like a drowning man reaching for anything to grab onto. Keep pushing its head under water and kill it for good. Realize you can and will never have another drink and this will kill all urges. For me if I let any chance into my psyche it all unwinds.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

What if the AV never goes away? Will you drink then?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 30 days! The good thing is that you recognize that it's the AV talking so you can tell it to shut up. That is a a little advancement in our thinking that can be taken for granted. Since you know that voice is telling you crazy things, it's easier to distract yourself with something else knowing that the AV is full of bull. Imagine what it would be like if you thought "I got this" and actually believed it. Kudos for recognizing it for what it is. Completely normal at 30 days.