Notices

First time detox in the morning - anxious

Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time detox in the morning - anxious

Hi. I'm checking into detox in the morning (never been before), and while I'm convinced it's the right thing and I'm as ready as I'll ever be I'm quite frankly scared as, well...you know.

Not that I was planning to but I know I know I'm not supposed to drink in the morning (I am tonight) before checking in. I'm worried about a number of things though:

- getting to sleep tonight
- what the detox experience will be like
- what my life will be like without alcohol

Planning on taking an OTC sleeping pill for the first one. Have a script for lorazepam for the second, to at least make sure I get there (and I have a great friend who is taking me and probably won't take no for an answer). It may possibly be the third part that scares me the most.

Was chatting with some great people last night (and will probably get on again in a bit). Just really, really anxious, and needed to say something to someone.

I can say I'm very happy I found this site.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you made the choice Rusty. I'm sure you are anxious but it's really for the best and the folks there will be able to take care of you for sure. Make sure you let them know exactly what prescribed meds you are taking, and please be careful mixing anything with booze at any time, it can be very dangerous to say the least. SR will be here for you tonight and going forward....just keep reminding yourself that this is the first step to a whole lot better life.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rusty

Like I said last time, I've never been to detox myself.

I can imagine it's scary - but drinking on that isn't the best idea, especially if you plan to take other medication.

What about a nice cup of tea instead, or hot chocolate?

I know many folks here who have been to detox - they seemed to get through OK...try not to worry - this is a step forward. You'll be OK

D
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You should be so excited, I know it's scary but a new chapter in ur life.

Make sure you bring warm comfy clothes like sweats, Plenty of cigarettes unopened, toiletries of course. You'll be sleeping a lot ur first day. You'll get 3 good meals a day. The staff is usually very compassionate. They will probably bring AA and NA meetings in. There will be TV. It's super laid back. Slippers. Hope ur honest about the pills ur on. They need to know.

They are gonna give u something to ease the withdrawals.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's understandable that you're nervous, and yes, the 'third part' is the scariest. But, you can live a happy and peaceful life without alcohol. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rusty, I know you're nervous. Come back to Chat tonight and maybe join us for our Tuesday Meeting. 9pm EST We'd love to have you! Sharing with others always made me feel a bit better.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Rusty!

If you don't sleep tonight I wouldn't worry about it, i'd avoid the OTC sleep meds cus that may delay the start of your detox as they might want 24hrs with nothing else in your system (apart from maybe some booze)
The detox will be well monitored and is probably the most comfortable and safest way about going through withdrawal. They will provide and monitor meds and sleep meds if needed.

Your right the last part will be the toughest but also the most rewarding
Life without booze is freedom!

Good luck! (if I don't see you in chat later)
Embrace the change, it's a great opportunity!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. You're all the best. I'll try and log into chat later, especially if I get too anxious.

And yeah Scott, I'm gonna take allmy meds/scripts with me so they know. And Deeker - I quite smoking a year ago so probably not a good idea to bring cigs ;-)

And Opi, I think it's supposed to be for 5 days so, while I can't bring my phone, I should be out by then. I'll set myself a reminder.

Thanks everyone, I can't tell you how much better talking with you has made feel.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best! It took courage to make the decision, first big steps done, the rest will go well I'm sure.

+ it's safer then doing this at home, 9 days ago I was scared like hell, made it trough detox but would have gone to a center without a second tought.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah Twinings, the embracing thing is something I'm having a little trouble imaging right now. I know I'll be talking to some very helpful, knowledgeable people in the next week or so, and have plans for follow up afterwards. But that doesn't make it any less scary :-). Like I said before though, I'm positive I need to do this, and honestly happy I've reached this point. It's just the stepping into the unknown.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post

+ it's safer then doing this at home, 9 days ago I was scared like hell, made it trough detox but would have gone to a center without a second tought.
I actually did that three weeks ago, lasted 7 days and then relapsed pretty hard. Saw my PCP during that time and got a few scripts, but when I finally met with my new counselor he was nearly incredulous that she thought that was a good idea. So yeah, all that made me think it would probably be better to go to the professionals.

Good luck to you :-)
Old 12-17-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

any toiletries you bring should be unopened. if you bring mouthwash it has to be alcohol free. dont bring.aftershave if u are a guy. they will take it from you. people have been known to drink it. depending on where u detox.you may not be allowed a belt or clothes with string ties. razors for shaving will be checked.

that said i found detox to be a comfortable experience. they will monitor you throughout. take advantage of the rest you will have. good luck. it is worth going. life can be enjoyed sober. it is about relearning what we have all once known. you quit smoking. i havent been able to do that yet. but u quit something tough and are still enjoying life to some extent? better without alcohol.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I am actually quite enjoying life more or less, just thinking I'm heading to a dead end if I don't address this. Just having trouble - a bit, not much - trying to envision what my life will become. As I said, I did 7 days sober recently but after the first three, mabey four days, couldn't stop thinking "why not just have a drink or two, you've been doing great". I'm really very much looking forward to getting help from professionals, and I know it will be a long road, just anxious - and oddly emotional tonight. I'm pretty much someone who doesn't cry but I watching the few movies that are tearjerkers for me tonight.

thx
Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My best to you Rusty!!!
You'll do great!!
Can't wait to see you back again after you are out!!

Kat
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there Rusty. It is normal to be nervous. I know I was. It seemed like I was saying goodbye forever to my best friend. But alcohol is not my friend. I became so used to it always being there that I forgot that life can be enjoyed without it. You can and you will. Make sure you bring comfy socks, maybe slippers. Let us know how you do.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ho and Rusty, please come back to share your experience with us when you come out! We will be here!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For what it's worth Rusty, I went to a detox a couple summers ago in Minnesota. It was a great first step to my recovery, and I hope this means the same to you.

From what I recall, it felt kind of like I was in a nursing home or something. A few people playing checkers, a TV with a soap opera on really loud, and three square meals. No frills. They also have a pretty steady medication regiment so most of the time I felt very sleepy. Remember you are there to rest and get well. Follow instructions, stay low-key and let your body and mind rest and recover.

Good luck, you'll be fine. Look forward to hearing from you on the flipside.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yah better leave the cigarrettes lol unless u wanna make some new friends.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Rusty. I'd like to add my good wishes for your detox - I think it's great you're taking this huge step to reclaim your life.

I was so afraid to let go of it too - even though it had been slowly destroying me for years. It was so hard to admit the fun drinking times were long gone & never coming back. Truthfully it had brought me nothing but misery for a long time - and in the end I was so thankful to be free of it. You will be too.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hope you are doing good