Notices

Day 3 and I think I should go see a doctor

Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Thanks for the concern. It went well. Pretty quickly the doctor told me that this was a common thing to happen if you are quitting drinking. Even in the waiting room I was hearing strange repetitive music. He assured me that it would go away in a day or so. He gave me a trial pack of Ativan and told me to get some rest.

Overall I'm feeling good. My anxiety level is high (I feel jumpy), and I'm a little foggy but all the truly nasty withdrawal symptoms have gone away. Now it's just a matter of sticking to a plan. It would be stupid at this point to have gone through all this just to convince myself I can 'handle' drinking again.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Ncognito13 View Post
Thanks for the concern. It went well. Pretty quickly the doctor told me that this was a common thing to happen if you are quitting drinking. Even in the waiting room I was hearing strange repetitive music. He assured me that it would go away in a day or so. He gave me a trial pack of Ativan and told me to get some rest.

Overall I'm feeling good. My anxiety level is high (I feel jumpy), and I'm a little foggy but all the truly nasty withdrawal symptoms have gone away. Now it's just a matter of sticking to a plan. It would be stupid at this point to have gone through all this just to convince myself I can 'handle' drinking again.
Glad to hear everything turned out OK at the doc. Also glad to hear the nasty stuff has abated on the withdrawal symptoms, you never have to go through those again if you don't want to! As "stupid" as it sounds to think it's OK and that you can handle drinking again - be forewarned that many do just that, in fact most do. Having a plan is a great idea as the withdrawals will most likely be worse next time around.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Ncognito13 View Post

Glad you're doing better! The tricky thing about alcoholism is once you've gotten through the bad withdrawals and the inital 'pink cloud' period of sobriety your brain rewires itself and starts to suppress the memories of the negative withdrawals/ feelings you experienced from drinking. This is probably why it's described as 'cunning' in AA philosophy....

Just remember as Scott said that withdrawals will get progressively worse and if you're already having hallucinations the next withdrawal could spell seizures or even the full blown DTs! Best to avoid that situation from arising me thinks. I can't risk another withdrawal like the one I had as I was close to seizures etc and know that next time it could happen for real! Yet another Good reason to stay off it for good...