Notices

What are the perks?

Old 12-17-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me it's been the above promises which resulted in a great feeling most of the time by being comfortable in my own skin.

BE WELL
Old 12-17-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Sleep, sleep and more beautiful sleep.

Energy, it wasn't until I got sober that I realized just how exhausted I am when I drink.

A big one: the return of my ability to be discerning and make effective decisions.

However, the perks have not kept me sober which I why I am now using more formal support and a plan of action. For me, sobriety cannot be a passive endeavor.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I notice more freedom. For me, it used to be go through the motions, get everything done quickly so I can get to my drinking time. I notice what at first in sobriety felt like boredom is actually just more time, more quality time to get things accomplished or just to enjoy my time. I also notice that everything that I thought was real, was really my drink adjusted thinking. I went to my husband's company's Christmas party this past weekend. In the past, I thought, everyone drinks at these events, and those who don't will stick out like a sore thumb. Well, my husband and I didn't drink, and no one noticed! (Except us, we felt confident, in control and slept great and woke up fresh.) And half the people there weren't drinking either . . . . and the only ones making fools of themselves with things to regret the next day, were the drinkers!! I am on Day 80 and I now feel like I never want to drink again!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

great thread, so interesting that less anxiety is mentioned a lot, I am finding that too
also more energy and endurance, house much cleaner
caring more about my health, eating better
caring more about my appearance
more optimistic about the future
better focus at work
jawline coming back, less puff
more time to sleep or relax
feel better about myself, less self loathing
Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Although I do agree with what Dee said where we usually tend to expect "instant gratification" being (former) drinker and it does take some time before we truly benefit real results, I feel after a month sober I certainly have experienced at least nominal improvements in a number of areas. Sure, I have more money in my wallet, I have been noticing I have more energy and am less tired physically, I am more emotionally available (although perhaps it's not necessarily biological but rather due to the fact that I am no longer distracted by drinking or planning to drink and I tend to schedule my daily activities as such).

The most noticeable effect, and also the most important effect, though, to me, is the fact that I am happier. I feel more mentally alert, I feel more social and confident, and this is after only being totally sober for 30 days. It is bound to get better, and by no means is it a perfect process, it has been difficult at times, but I admit it's less difficult than being a drunk.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I haven't called in sick in 8 months!

I didn't realize how much of my sick time, was really hungover time, or just wiped out because of drinking time.

I'm ashamed of myself for that. That's not the employee, or man, I want to ever be again.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Freedom. It is not free, but reality is no longer terror inducing!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Freedom to make choices in my life...and no longer having to fear doing something dang blamed stupid because I was drunk.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I can't think of anything in my life that my sobriety hasn't improved tremendously.

I think what Dee said is really important, we are SO used to instant gratification, and those early days in recovery provide anything but. Hang in there!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Better ability to maintain self control. I have done things to my friends/family while drinking that I have regretted later.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

These are all so great! I have a big smile on my face reading this. I can't wait to start really living life. Day 2 in the bag!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Proper sleep and comfort upon awakening.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm no longer living a double life, Mr Hyde (Jimmy) no longer exists. Today who I present to the people I meet and know is who I actually am, that feels pretty good. I am at least thinking about my behavior rather than responding to everything with rage and anger. My own life has become far more controlled and predictable, and I'm becoming okay to accept things outside of my control may not be. My health has improved greatly, I've always been into working out, but instead of fighting the current of my heavy boozing, I'm seeing progress like a man half my age. And I'm not ashamed to say I look and perform the sports I'm into better than most men half my age. No more hangovers, no more missed days of work, no more flaking out on friends, and I haven't needed Rolaids since quitting either. I seek more depth in the relationships in my life, and I care more about those around me.
Bottom line, I like myself again and feel good about what I now bring to a relationship. It's not perfect, I still have anger issues, I still say and do things I wish I could redo. But I don't need to get hammered to process my mistakes now.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Everything has gotten better even after just a short stint of being sober (30 days). The important thing to remember is that it doesn't have to get better, because if I keep drinking then it will certainly get worse.