Notices

Help! First AA meeting tomorrow

Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! First AA meeting tomorrow

Hello all, I am attending my first AA meeting tomorrow...nervous and scared of course. Anyone who could let me know what to expect, or any kind of advice at all would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had my first last week and it was not at all what I expected .... I kind of expected a bunch of people from skid row and old alcoholics who had lost everything ... It was full of super normal super successful people ... Lawyers, doctors and young people .... All were very supportive and it was cool to see people from all walks of life that had stayed sober for a long time .. I'm going back to my second tomorrow ...
Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

The meetings vary by region but they all start by someone reading different parts of the literature out loud (that I have seen) and asking if there are newcomers. That's where you will say your name. Which is important, that is your reaching out. Then, people will talk or read if it is a lit meeting.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

The nervousness is understandable - think we all went through that. I turned the car around more than once.

But the meeting itself was better than I could've imagined. It was just an hour and the people were very supportive of each other. I expected it to be difficult, but it was actually very uplifting and there were a few jokes and laughs as people shared. It was easy. I wound up talking for about a half-hour afterward with the guy who is now my sponsor and friend.

Congrats on the first effort. You'll be glad you did it.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Don't worry, you will be relieved! I joined AA and just being able to talk without covering up exactly what I was and had done with others that accepted me for what I will be, not what I had been, was simply amazing.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't be nervous, remember you can just sit and listen if you want.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Everyone in that room went to their first meeting at one time or another. And, apparently, they all came back.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Best suggestion I have to is just have an open mind and soak it all in. You can talk if you want, or you can always say "I'm just listening, thank you". Some people don't introduce themselves as an alcoholic or addict right away, it's really what feels comfortable to you. It took me awhile to say it. Now I say it because that's what I am!

People might ask to exchange numbers. That's what people do at meetings. May seem very friendly, but it's a good way to reach out and meet new people that want to talk to you. Try to get a number and call someone just to chat if you're comfortable with it. People love to hear from newcomers because it helps them stay sober too.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dano1975 View Post
Don't be nervous, remember you can just sit and listen if you want.
That's very true, it's good to give yourself that option until your ready to share. But I will tell you this, sharing is what it's all about IMO. I made a deal with myself to share at every meeting, sometimes it's clumsy, sometimes I say things that I needed to get out, and sometimes I say things that I can tell someone really needed to hear.
I also suggest you try a few different places until you find someplace that feels comfortable for you. It didn't take me very long to find a couple meetings I call home base.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Relax Eli
Everyone you will c & hear from all had a first day! Go for yourself & not to impress or appease anyone
Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Don't forget to come back and tell us how it went. The lurkers will be waiting for a report!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Relax. Try and clear your head of any predetermined ideas and go.

You can sit and just listen or you can reach out. It is up to you and how comfortable you feel. Many have anxiety about it and that is normal.

It may sound strange but I think the AA fellowship had been waiting for me, I was home.

Please update us on how it went. I would love to hear about it. Take care!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations. some good suggestions above which can help keep it simple. In some areas it's hugely beneficial especially for the first year of sobriety for W to stick with W as fragile emotions can be very hazardous. In the beginning for me my most important thing I heard was "KEEP COMING." 30+ years later I'm glad that sunk in.

BE WELL
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I am finding that coming a bit early and staying after the meeting can be very helpful as well. If not too nervous, you can go up and introduce yourself to other members, especially if they said things that you really liked.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You'll find the vast majority of the people there friendly and welcoming. Inner city meetings can be a little rougher around the edges, so don't judge all meetings by one of those if that's your first experience.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am stunned! I attended a meeting at 8 a.m. and there were about fifty people there. I have never felt so welcomed and comforted. Hugs, handshakes, and phone numbers poured in. I had no idea all through life there were so many beautiful people out there!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I am happy to hear your welcome there. There are some truly wonderful people in AA.