Notices

Entering detox for the 1st time

Old 12-16-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Entering detox for the 1st time

Hi, jut registered. I'm planning on checking into to a short term inpatient rehab in about 36 hours. I'm extremely nervous and uncomfortable about it but I'm convinced I want the help. The main reason for my post was to ask what I should expect, as well as what I should bring with me.

It's between 5 and 7 days (the detox). I do have a pysch to follow up with, and will likely look into attending a local IPO. I drink a close to an 18 pack of coors a day for reference.

Oh, I guess I should mention I did self detox for 7 days a couple weeks ago but relapsed, and pretty hard. The process was difficult, but I found I had a greater sense of will than I thought - for those 7 days at least.

As a slight aside, I'm probably going to run out of my insurance in about a month and a half, so would appreciate any thoughts about that fact (not being particularly affluent).

thanks for any help,

Rusty
Old 12-16-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Rusty,

There are others on here more experienced with inpatient rehab than myself, so I'll let them answer your concerns.

I just want to say good luck and you've made a brave decision to become sober head on, I wish you all the best over the next week or so!!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rusty

I have no personal experience but others will have

welcome aboard

D
Old 12-16-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The rules are different depending on where you go. I was in a 6-day detox facility and wasn't allowed a cell phone or internet. They did have phones we could use in our free time, but the calls were limited in time...10 minutes, I think. They'll keep a close watch on your vitals to make sure you are detoxing safely and will give you meds to help with your detox symptoms.

If you smoke, and they allow smoke breaks, take plenty of cigarettes. Take plenty of change for the vending machines. Other than that, a change of clothes for several days, although they may have a washer/dryer you can use. I think the best thing to do would be to call the facility you will be going to and just ask them what they allow and what you should definitely not bring.

Congratulations on making the decision to detox and quit drinking! I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the detox facility. Since you're taking this step, you might as well give it your all and learn all you can. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good luck. Good decision.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yay for taking care of yourself and yay for entering treatment! I'm sure the staff at the rehab will be able to point you in the right direction as far as how to address the insurance issues. You may want to explore additional supports available (like other recovery groups) that might be available around you that don't require insurance. Do you have a TurningPoint around you? In Vermont this is a recovery-based drop-in/resource site. So awesome you are taking care of yourself!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck. Look forward to hearing about it when you're back.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Because every facility is different, I'm only going to offer some general advice. As for specific stuff like what to bring, call the detox center and they should be able to give the full run down about what is allowed and what isn't.

1. It will be uncomfortable. Maybe, at times, extremely uncomfortable. Just because you're going to an inpatient detox doesn't mean this will be a painless ordeal. But if you go in with the mindset that this is all just temporary and any discomfort you are feeling will pass, you can make it through.

2. Listen to your care team. These are trained professionals. When you are struggling and your mind is all crazy, you will think you will know what's best for you. But you don't. I fought my care team all through detox and heavily regret it now. I made it a point to apologize to each and every nurse for my behavior. I had no right to try and dictate my own care.

3. But the above does not mean suffer in silence. if you you are really struggling, make it known to the nurses/doctors. They are there to help you. They are there to make sure you do not die from withdrawal.

4. Detox is just the first step. All it does is get the poison out of your body. But even with a clean body, your alcoholic brain will still be there in full force. Work with your care team for a detailed aftercare plan. IOP is great for some, but others, especially chronic relapsers, may need actual inpatient rehab. I know I did. Even after detox, I just wouldn't have been able to get and remain sober without doing 30 days inpatient rehab, where I could just concentrate on myself without the distractions of the outside world. With IOP, you're on your own most of the time. So discuss with your care team about whether or not you can truly handle that. Sober living is another option.

You are a lucky person, Rusty. Many of us don't get the privilege of having an inpatient, medical detox. Don't take it for granted. Best of luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rusty,

I'm glad you're taking this step and looking after yourself.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on taking the first step to a sober life.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies, they were really very helpful for me. I look forward to interacting with you all again soon.

I have a lot of anxiety and uncertainty* about my near future, but I can at least say - I'm cautiously optimistic.

*(I just want to clarify, if necessary, the anxiety and uncertainly is not at all suicidal. I know that kind of talk can be ambiguous)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please check back and let us know how you're doing. It will work out for the best. Just take the time to focus on yourself and your recovery. The help is truly a blessing.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What DigDug said except, I found the actual detox process very comfortable. (As opposed to the 8 day detox at home which was nothing but sweat, vomiting, upset stomach, no sleep, chills, pure crazy). I was given Librium every four hours for three days, (they woke me up for more meds) then tapered off on day four. I did not have any withdrawl symptoms. But this is such a small part of the work that you have ahead of you. Good luck and hope to see you soon.