Notices

A better way

Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A better way

Hi,
I'm 31 y.o. and this weekend I had a rock bottom moment. I realized that although I'm not an alcoholic, not in the conventional sense of the word. Alcohol has claimed a part of me. Mostly my self respect. I lost control this weekend and I made choices that were foolish and immature. I hurt my parents and I hurt myself. I've decided to turn to a sober way of life because I feel it's the right choice for myself.

My boyfriend is also joining me on this journey because alcohol has claimed a part of our relationship. My battles will most likely involve him and whether or not he's as serious about this as I am. It's the right choice for us, I hope he honestly sees that.

But if he doesn't then it's his loss. I'm ready to be the person I want to be. And that's a sober, self-loving woman.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR kaycee!

Jump on in. There is a lot of support and information here. We are all here to support each other.

I am curious, what is unconventional about your drinking?

I am an alcoholic and it claimed 26 years of my life. I am glad you are here seeking answers.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you GracieLou,

I guess I would never have considered myself to really have a problem. I wasn't a daily drinker and I never really thought it was an issue. I would have a beer here and there, enjoy cocktails, and just drink socially. Occasionally I would relax to some alcohol. Just nothing that really sent up any red flags for me. Not until recently. I realized I'm more of a binge drinker and with binge drinking comes impulsive behaviors, drinking and driving, arguments, juvenile behavior, and blacking out.

I just never thought it was much of a problem until it was. I still don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I realize I have a problem.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! To have a problem doesn't have to be the classical on the street drunk. Many here are high functioning.

It's how Alcohol changes you that can be an issue. For me at the end I was aggressive and disrespectful.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more! That's why I'm here. Because I don't like who I am with alcohol and I feel at one point or another I'll need the support. I hope to get it from my boyfriend... but I don't know if he's as serious as I am. So I have to do this for myself.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exactly, this is about you and you only, if he quits cool, if he doesn't it's not your problem. Time to be selfish
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome kaycee28, if drinking is causing you problems then it's a wise choice to stop. I started out as binge drinker which escalated into daily drinking. There is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! This is a very supportive site and I'm glad you've joined us.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Already I'm feeling so much better about this. I know I'll have questions and temptations and I'm grateful everyone here is supportive
Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kaycee,

Welcome!

Try not to worry about the label 'alcoholic' because it can be quite a stumbling block for people. It's not a label that most of us want. The main thing is to recognize that your life will be better without alcohol and to take action to make that happen.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! And it's nice to have support so close to you too in this journey. Just remember to think about yourself as your sobriety is the most important thing in your world now.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum kaycee!!

It all starts with a Day 1, great decision to make a change for the better!!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Kaycee

D