Notices

I didn't know the cherries were soaked in rum!!!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I didn't know the cherries were soaked in rum!!!!!

My coworkers and I went out for our annual Christmas lunch today. I went to the bathroom and they ordered the dessert platter for us all to share after our meal. We divided up the desserts and of course I went straight to the cheesecake before anything else on my plate. There were cherries on top of the cheesecake but I honestly assumed they were just in a syrup, so I took a bite and BAM, I tasted the rum!!

Right away I set my fork down and had a moment of panic. I didn't touch any of the other desserts on my plate and just sipped my tea.

On the drive home I told myself to calm down, that I wasn't the one who even ordered dessert, that I didn't intentionally eat the cherries knowing they were soaked in rum and that I had that one bite and no more.

How do you guys deal with these situations? Have you ever had to?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it were me I'd not give it another thought! Accidental ingestion unless you feel triggered.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That can be a tough one. Almost makes you feel like you're getting drunk from the cherries.

I've had this happen before but tried not to be so hard on myself because I didn't know. If something is suspect, sometimes I'll discretely ask what's in something before I eat it. Otherwise I try not to worry too much about it.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Chin up anchorbird.
Yes i have had similar. Nope i wouldn't worry. Accident and a lesson in vigilance but could of happened to anyone. Keep on keeping on and don't big deal it. Your doing great.
G
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did the same thing with chocolate rum balls ! Also worried a little but then figured it was an accident. Its not as if you had a drink. I wouldnt give it another thought.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
If it were me I'd not give it another thought! Accidental ingestion unless you feel triggered.
Totally agree
Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't stress.....totally unintentional. I recently was out to eat and had some sauce that had white wine in it.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Never happened to me but if it doss someday, I won't worry about it.

Don't stress over it ;-)
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think those of us who have decided that we can't moderate and that abstinence is the best choice for us are very specific at first about any sort of deviation from the plan. I don't think you deviated from the plan at all…there was no intention, you stayed the course and protected your sobriety once you realized that there was alcohol in the cherries. I think you should see it as an amazing choice that kept you on your path. (now if you climbed on the table and dove face first into the cheesecake…….that would be a different story).
Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

I personally have not dealt with anything like this since I was a pill head, but I understand your anxiety. I don't know what I do if I took a chocolate truffle, bit into it, swallowed and found I had just ingested a pain pill that someone lovingly placed in it. I know that wouldn't happen, but I would be highly upset just the same. When you come that close to something you have a problem with, you have to wonder if even the smallest bite, the smallest drink, the smallest taste- any interaction of any kind will set you back. But you handled it very well! I hope when the anxiety subsides (if it hasn't already) that you will give yourself a hi-5 for it.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Anchorbird I totally understand I got a sauce in a pot ( thankfully) alongside my steak, I dunked a chip and put it in my mouth and taste wine. Nearly spat it out just on reflex. Felt a bit annoyed as if I was being sabotaged, which was daft, but it is how I felt. I just left the rest of the sauce. But don't consider it as jeapordising my sobriety. I am ultra aware now though. FYI, there are some great alternatives to alcohol in cooking, Dee put a link up for me once when I queries how much alcohol evapourates in cooking - not near as much as you think !!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, that
Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Usually sweets and deserts have such a small percentage it's not even a tot or quite enough to affect the solar plexus, so I wouldn't worry. I try to avoid such things but accidents happen.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey anchorbird ,

About 3 months into this journey i had a get together with family , my auntie fed me a vodka soaked tomato as a "nice surprise" … i felt sick … i calmly went to the bathroom and washed my mouth out had a spot of toothpaste to take the taste away and then worried about it all afternoon …

i drove home and chatted to a friend who has 27 years sober . He said stay cool , your intention was to stay, be and remain sober , you didn't use it as an excuse to go on a binge . Keep an eye out for it in future , stay strong ,

That is what i've done and am over two years now .

So , stay cool , your intention was to stay , be and remain sober , you haven't used it as an excuse to "throw the towel in" , So watch out for it in the future and keep on anchorbird

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with mecanix. At about 4 months sober I went on a cruise and took a bite of cake that was soaked in rum. I didn't have anymore nor did I use it as an excuse to throw in the towel. It happens, just use it as a learning curve and be aware in the future.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah don't sweat it! you weren't intending to drink!!

. . . plus the bit of rum was probably so small and the same alcohol content ingested from mouth wash or cough medicine!

The main thing is you took control and sipped your tea!! . . . no big deal!!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think this is the vanilla discussion all over again.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Let it go.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No biggie anchorbird , i wouldn't give it another thought i have had chicken in white wine sauce at dinner and rum balls , but with absolutely no intent to drink or get buzzed
Plus you would have to eat a truckload to even feel a buzz.

Rum balls are my thing I've made for Christmas for my extended family every year , especially my Nanna .

I'll still make them as they are my tradition . I never had a thing for spirits ..wine was my choice of drink .

IMO Its up to all of us to decide what's right for us . As long as we are committed to never drink again.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What she said! You didn't mean to. You didn't go back, suck the cherries dry and order a side of rum soaked cherries. Lol. You are good, don't worry about it.