Notices

Help with anxiety/drinking

Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I really had myself convinced that I was treating (albeit in an unhealthy way) my anxiety by 'relaxing' it with alcohol, when come to find out, the more I drank, the more anxious I would become (usually the next day) and the cycle would continue for years and years. I eventually realized the drinking was causing my anxiety mostly, but then when I quit drinking I realized I had absolutely no idea how else to find relief, I had been self medicating for so long.

Part of what I worked on with my therapist was how to re-learn (or learn for the first time) my coping skills with life. How to relax, celebrate, grieve, express anger, all that life stuff without drinking. I just didn't know how.

When I get anxious now, I exercise or meditate. I found some good relaxation exercises online, and my therapist taught me some guided relaxation techniques. I'll read, talk to a friend etc. As long as drinking is never an option, I'm forced to find something else to do. I don't get anxious nearly as much as I used to, it's all but gone away. If I do now, it's usually very 'normal' and situational/acute and passes with a little time and new strategies.
@Flutter - As an outside observer I think you have hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your support guys, today has really hit home how bad it's got. Part of the reason I had to get the wine this morning was because I had to use the Underground in London, and I knew (it's happened before) I would be so sort of shaky and 'arhh' that I would want to jump on the tracks (even though I don't). I don't get that... I had to sit down until the train arrives.

I had no idea booze worsens the anxiety so much, it's a good spur on to quit. I may be young (ish) but I've truly wrecked myself with drink and it's hard cos you have to keep it secret for most people.

Happily (ish) I got home tonight and apparently, everything is normal so I must have had a blackout and assumed I did something awful. Yeesh :-/

Have tried meditation and exercise before, both worked so well to keep my mood in a good place. Just need to convince myself that drink shouldn't come first!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
My last slip (1.5 bottles of chardonnay) resulted in *5* whole days of anxiety and depression. FIVE DAYS. I had been clean for 2 months prior. Drank those two bottles on a full stomach.

I, like Flutter, spent the last 20 plus years thinking I was "curing" my anxiety with booze. It's the exact opposite.
Be well.
Well done on being sober for so long, I've never managed that. Scary to think that a slip can cause so much pain. I'm going out of my head – deffo need a doc
Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I'm glad that everything was okay when you got home and you hadn't done anything awful, charlie. Our mind plays tricks on us, especially when we're drinking.

I live in London so I know exactly what you mean about the Underground. But if I can navigate the Tube sober and not throw myself on the tracks, so can you!

I hope you get to see your doctor soon. Stopping drinking really is the first step and everything else will follow.