Notices

Weekend fail

Old 12-15-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend fail

Well, I managed to make it Monday through Friday, including Friday night sober....last night was a different story. Neighborhood Christmas party, no driving made the urge to easy to give in to. In short, I don't remember my husband and I leaving the party, walking home, or going to bed and I'm hoping my missing Tory Burch purse, phone, wallet are at their house because I can't find it. To top it off, my husband said I got "weird" at the end of the night, I didn't ask for details and hoping my neighbors are not completely irritated with me....This right now is all the reasons I am trying to be sober, because not remembering my actions, losing stuff, and panicking over who I offended really isn't fun. At all.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I actually lost a pair of shoes once, plus my bag money etc. Good thumbs up to stop for me. Hopefully they will be at the persons house. Pop round there and ask. Maybe you weren't that bad. Your husband just said you were a bit weird. If he had said something more specific it could be a bit more worrying. I would just mention, whilst seeing if your stuff is at their place, something like, I hope I wasn't too bad last night and kind of laugh it off. Perhaps everyone else was too drunk to notice. Just move on from it and carry on with your sobriety. Slips aren't unheard of xxxx
Old 12-15-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi marie,

This sort of thing has happened to many other people. I hope you do find your stuff! Best thing is to pick yourself back up and try again and not dwell on it too much. It is always best to kind of think about what triggered you and what to do next time. Focus on what you can do next time.

I personally had to stay away from all these kinds of things when I first quit drinking. There was no way I could have made it if I had been going to these kinds of events.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you KateL and LadyinBC for the quick replies. I really do appreciate the input and thoughts. I'm trying not to dwell on it this morning....but the fact is I am a very anxious person by nature and these situations that I fully am responsible for, exacerbate it...ugh.
Ironically, I don't feel hung over. I was up at 8am, a little foggy but that isn't unusual for me even sober this week. I walked our dog around the block, made coffee, then noticed my purse was not where I keep it, my mind jumps to all kinds of conclusions, etc. My husband was already gone out on a run so I couldn't talk to him until he got home around 9:30a.
I will be sober this week, I am honestly not even concerned about staying sober during this week because I work three nights at the hospital. Its just that once again I have the weekend off (I usually work almost every Saturday night)....I wish I looked forward to having another weekend off instead of dreading it.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by marie1973 View Post
Neighborhood Christmas party, no driving made the urge to easy to give in to.
That means you have a week until next weekend to figure out how to deal with and not give in to those urges...a plan.

Here's a simple one to implement: Don't go out to any parties. Skip New Years celebrations. Stay away from any situations that prompt you to drink until you have a sober foundation under you.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Hey marie, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go for it again. It helps to plan your weekend in advance.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with DogGoneCarl, for the time being it is probably best to skip them. I know my Uni course will likely be having a Xmas night out this coming week as all essays (for them, I'm so far behind!) are finished and we're breaking for Xmas. There is absolutely no way I am going. You've had a successful week, you say you know you will be fine this week. Keep focus on what is important and good luck.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Similar than others.

If you hang around wolves, you will eventually howl like them.....
Old 12-15-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good words, thank you to all. I think what I will do is not arrange for any babysitters for the weekend. That will in itself not allow for heading out to any functions! I've already told my husband that on Friday night I want to load the girls up, make hot cocoa to go, and drive around looking at Christmas lights!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That sounds nice Marie.
What about making some plans for saturday too?

Definitely agree, stay away from the parties if your not strong enough to stay sober. Take it easy on yourself today, your trying, you will get there.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's a good plan for Friday! Also glad you are

Not getting a baby sitter, spending time with little ones will pull you trough. I remember when I first got sober last , it was so different with my little guy. I was actually there, not half in the bag.

It my shared custody week, he's arriving later this aft, can't wait to see him! Sober!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan. And, I think it's so important to plan ahead.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great plan Marie! You can do this!!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm still working on Saturday night, given we won't have child care it will be a family night, just got to make plans. I thought about a family friendly movie but remembered they now serve beer and wine at the theatre!

perhaps a holiday movies marathon at home, we have a 72" tv in our family room and I can make popcorn, cupcakes, fruit, etc....

I think I may be on my way to looking forward to the weekend!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Marie, it sounds like you have a good plan moving forward. Let go of what happened last night and just focus on today. I'm anxious too and prone to ruminating, but it just makes us crazy and doesn't change anything. Rooting for you!